ANH TK Stunt - My first suit!

Scout_Troop3R

14 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looks like you have these under control, nice work

Thanks, and after having enduring a long tiresome game of warhammer for the past 4 hours I really want to get back to work on this lol.
(I really don't like playing it for some reason even though I play other tabletop miniature games.)

• Like 1

After getting back to it today I managed to fit (with space for the undersuit and gloves) and trim the forearms, so now all that's left is to glue them after a little bit of trimming to make it nice and smooth at the elbow where the two halves meet.

BG7DDXf.jpg

vdYo0zr.jpg

3Bw5V9o.jpg

M7voLxI.jpg

This is coming along great so far, I can't wait to get to the rest!

• Like 2

Didn't have too much time to work on it today but I got the first of 4 cover strips I'm going to put on glued today so woop de doo, I really hope it turns out well.
I measured and cut one of the 15mm strips I had and after 45 minutes of getting my courage up I glued it with some good ol' E-6000, 8 neodymium magnets, and two clamps. Everything looks good now but we'll see in a day's time. Definitely getting more magnets though, don't want to have to be waiting a whole day before I can glue something else in the near future lol.

5nU85w7.jpg

YEFoBNT.jpg

Again I only have/had a few hours today as in about 20 minutes I'm starting work 'till midnight.
anyways
I got all the bicep parts trimmed while waiting for the left forearm to finish the first part of gluing so that's neat.

yObZqnr.jpg

KkavOTA.jpg

0glk6Kq.jpg

RdiPqlL.jpg

By the time I'm back from work the left forearm strip should be done gluing so yay, I might a post to see how it turned out. Speaking of that what would you guys use to clean up any extra glue? nail polish remover and a cotton ball or something?

22 minutes ago, Scout_Troop3R said:

Speaking of that what would you guys use to clean up any extra glue? nail polish remover and a cotton ball or something?

Darth_Vader_Noooo_Banner.jpg

DO NOT USE NAILPOLISH REMOVER, it will melt the plastic, it's basically acetone which is what we use to make ABS paste and that's what you will get.

A little elbow grease is all that is needed, a wet rag, scrap plastic or pop stick, even your thumb. Any excess glue will be pretty easy to rub off, scrap plastic cut on an angle, great for getting into the sides over coverstrips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Darth_Vader_Noooo_Banner.jpg

DO NOT USE NAILPOLISH REMOVER, it will melt the plastic, it's basically acetone which is what we use to make ABS paste and that's what you will get.

A little elbow grease is all that is needed, a wet rag, scrap plastic or pop stick, even your thumb. Any excess glue will be pretty easy to rub off, scrap plastic cut on an angle, great for getting into the sides over coverstrips.

Good to know lol, and I of course was going to look into it more in-case I needed to remove some but I'm glad I asked here because Google wouldn't give me Darth Vader screaming.

Edited by Scout_Troop3R
  • Like 1

Well I'm here again, I would've made a post yesterday but I was wrapped up in work, my birthday festivities, and then being too tired to do anything.
Anyways!
I checked on the glue yesterday and everything seemed great aside from one little bit sticking up but I put some extra magnets on there and left it overnight, although I might have to put a wee bit of glue on later if it still doesn't stick all the way.
I also fitted the biceps to where I think they should go, and marked where to trim.
Also got another piece of cover strip and have marked it for fitting, but I need to actually go about doing that still.
4RbANAy.jpg
BYcLY6H.jpg
fO5X7sc.jpg
jEI2HdI.jpg
ocIuoGw.jpg

At times glue is normally dry in 24 hours, some can take a little longer, depends on weather and thickness of glue. Any parts under strain (usually second coverstrip on a part) may need to dry longer, I like to leave 48 to 72 hours, it's a pain waiting but at least you only have to do it once.

Happy belated Birthday :happyandcheerfulbirthday:

Looking great, Jeremy! 

As for "...everything seemed great aside from one little bit sticking up but I put some extra magnets on there and left it overnight, although I might have to put a wee bit of glue on later if it still doesn't stick all the way", a way to help prevent this (and the strip popping loose in the future) is to use interior cover strips as well on joins that don't lay flat for added strength.

dkNy1Gb.jpg

You should have scraps from your trimming and these are perfect for this.  They don't have to be pretty, as no one sees them anyway!  Two areas I strongly suggest adding these strips to are the inside fronts of the shins.  Those seams get a lot of wear and tear from opening and closing when putting your armor on, so a little reinforcement will help prevent any issues.

You shouldn't need them on all the joins, and yeah it takes a bit longer to glue them in but well worth it. ;)

10 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Looking great, Jeremy! 

As for "...everything seemed great aside from one little bit sticking up but I put some extra magnets on there and left it overnight, although I might have to put a wee bit of glue on later if it still doesn't stick all the way", a way to help prevent this (and the strip popping loose in the future) is to use interior cover strips as well on joins that don't lay flat for added strength.

dkNy1Gb.jpg

You should have scraps from your trimming and these are perfect for this.  They don't have to be pretty, as no one sees them anyway!  Two areas I strongly suggest adding these strips to are the inside fronts of the shins.  Those seams get a lot of wear and tear from opening and closing when putting your armor on, so a little reinforcement will help prevent any issues.

You shouldn't need them on all the joins, and yeah it takes a bit longer to glue them in but well worth it. ;)

Dunno who Jeremy is, but yeah I've already put the interior cover strip on, I'm going to do it for both arms and probably the shins too.

58 minutes ago, Scout_Troop3R said:

Dunno who Jeremy is, but yeah I've already put the interior cover strip on, I'm going to do it for both arms and probably the shins too.

Oops..  :wacko: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after spending far too long procrastinating (Curses!) I started working on this again. I didn't have too much time tonight to work on it but I got the first of the two strips for the right side of the left arm done so yay. I also went and rounded all the edges of the cover strips, luckily I only had one attached to the arm that needed rounding and it wasn't a hassle. Anyways I'll try and get more done sometime in the evening tomorrow. (Tomorrow is canadian thanksgiving so that will take up most of my day.)

v6UgkUC.jpg

PxfpsuQ.jpg

You can also just cut the corners if you don't want rounded ones, more screen accurate but won't be an issue for higher level approval, both are accepted 

gallery_12157_59_157947.jpg

50 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You can also just cut the corners if you don't want rounded ones, more screen accurate but won't be an issue for higher level approval, both are accepted 

gallery_12157_59_157947.jpg

Good to know, I think for now I'll stick with the round ones unless I really screw one of them up or something, then I'll do the angled corners lol.

• Like 1

Did some work earlier today on the biceps before work, I managed to cut one but in a really dumb way, and I only noticed it was dumb after. (Of course.) The spot where the cover strip would be is way off to the side, instead of in the middle like it should be, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do to fix that as that's the smallest it can be and have my elbow go through, maybe I'll just leave it weird (unless it's against requirements) and if I need to fix it, it will probably involve ABS paste and some extra panels.

In other arm related news the left forearm cover strips are done and I love how it turned out, fits good on my arm with the undersuit so that's awesome! All I felt like doing tonight was taking some pictures and contemplating what to do about the bicep. I'll do some more work cutting and gluing the right forearm strips tomorrow. Hopefully I can start working on the legs soon.

4CahULc.jpg

dNNNxLk.jpg

eV23VV8.jpg

q0WceiN.jpg

Edited by Scout_Troop3R

Being AM armor both sides should look the same so you may get away with having the offset side facing the rear so it's not as noticeable. 

Making adjustments while taking photos is fine, cough cough, if you get my meaning. 

But yes it could be fixed, work out were the middle should be, cut that off the larger side, glue a support piece behind, then fill the gap with ABS paste

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello there once again! I know it's been a few months since I've posted anything here, I'm getting tired of not working on it and I want to start again but I have a question first. Is it okay to work in the cold? Up here in Canada it's been a really warm winter only going down to maybe -15⁰C at the most on one night, so it's just cool enough to be uncomfortable, the ABS should be fine but is it OK to use E-6000 in an average of -6 - 7⁰C?

On 10/11/2023 at 2:50 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Being AM armor both sides should look the same so you may get away with having the offset side facing the rear so it's not as noticeable. 

Making adjustments while taking photos is fine, cough cough, if you get my meaning. 

But yes it could be fixed, work out were the middle should be, cut that off the larger side, glue a support piece behind, then fill the gap with ABS paste

Also, guess who gets to learn how to make ABS paste? This guy! Turns out the left snd right biceps are different with only the left one having the spoon/thumb imprint, got plenty of excess ABS though so I'm covered for materials. If I can't work on my armour I'll at least try and get started making this.

Edited by Scout_Troop3R
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scout_Troop3R said:

Hello there once again! I know it's been a few months since I've posted anything here, I'm getting tired of not working on it and I want to start again but I have a question first. Is it okay to work in the cold? Up here in Canada it's been a really warm winter only going down to maybe -15⁰C at the most on one night, so it's just cool enough to be uncomfortable, the ABS should be fine but is it OK to use E-6000 in an average of -6 - 7⁰C?

Also, guess who gets to learn how to make ABS paste? This guy! Turns out the left snd right biceps are different with only the left one having the spoon/thumb imprint, got plenty of excess ABS though so I'm covered for materials. If I can't work on my armour I'll at least try and get started making this.

Some specs on E6000:

What temperature range does E6000 withstand?
E6000 can be applied in temperatures ranging from 50 °F to 90 °F (10 °C to 32 °C). When cured, E6000 can withstand temperatures between -40 °F and 180 °F (-40 °C and 82 °C).

https://eclecticproducts.com/product/e6000-industrial-adhesive/#:~:text=How long does E6000 take,between 24 and 72 hours.

Thread on ABS paste https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42866-how-to-make-abs-paste/