ANH TK Stunt - My first suit!

Scout_Troop3R

Oh man I am excited, I've been getting a few bits and bobs for my AM armour while I await it, but the time is nigh! It's in the mail and Big Brown Box Day is going to come a lot sooner than I thought. Still kinda feels unreal that this is happening. In a few days it should be delivered, and hopefully I can get started on doing some work. I'm going to probably need help but hey, that's what forums and build sessions are for. :D
iN1g45P.png

• Like 2

Great news, make sure you do your research so you are ready to go when your kit arrives, lots of reference material available here  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

If you are going to aim for EIB and Centurion make sure you check out some of those builds for extra details ;) 

7 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great news, make sure you do your research so you are ready to go when your kit arrives, lots of reference material available here  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

If you are going to aim for EIB and Centurion make sure you check out some of those builds for extra details ;) 

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be doing research the whole way, asking questions and all that, thanks!

Hello again, Tyler! I know you've been neck deep in research since February, and I suspect you're practically a pro now! I remember the feeling when my tracking number indicated that there was a stormtrooper at my door. lol. We look forward to this next part of your journey!

2 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hello again, Tyler! I know you've been neck deep in research since February, and I suspect you're practically a pro now! I remember the feeling when my tracking number indicated that there was a stormtrooper at my door. lol. We look forward to this next part of your journey!

A pro might be exaggerating a bit lol, but thanks! I still need to get quite a few things and set up some spreadsheets, clean my garage etc, so I've still quite a ways to go.

Even having researched I know each build at first tends to overwhelm me, but usually my first action is to inventory the pieces I have in the kit and then decide which part to start on. Once I get that then it’s pretty much on rails until completion. Looking forward to your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Even having researched I know each build at first tends to overwhelm me, but usually my first action is to inventory the pieces I have in the kit and then decide which part to start on. Once I get that then it’s pretty much on rails until completion. Looking forward to your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be doing the same thing, maybe I'll start from bottom to top or something like that, save the best for last.

Aright so here is my advice on order of assembly.

1. Inventory and match paired armor piece halves.

2. Trim the excess flashing (waste plastic) on all pieces. Don’t worry about return edge thickness yet; just remove the excess beyond the return edges.

3. Begin trimming pieces for fitment, starting with Biceps (largely hidden so trimming errors can be masked). Also when first trimming start on the rear-facing ends of the pieces so any mistakes are on your back.

4. Forearms (nice small pieces)

5. Shins (left shin first since knee plate can help mask possible seam/joining issues). Be sure to size for fitment only after you have your boots to ensure proper sizing.

6. Thighs (right thigh first since ammo back can help mask possible seam/joining issues)

7. Posterior, kidney, and ab

8. Back, chest, and shoulder bells

9. Helmet (largely considered the most difficult, and also prominent, piece)

• Like 2

Got my garage/workshop cleaned so now I actually have somewhere to do this lol.

WMTlULy.jpg
SFMGbmB.jpg
HDY5LX8.jpg
OQcys2u.jpg

funny enough I've found two cases of dremel bits and the box for the dremel, but no dremel.

apparently someone used it and forgot to put it back or something, shouldn't be too hard to find though.

(and yes I know there's j-b weld just sitting right there on the rack, I'm not using it but there was just a bunch of random stuff already in the garage)

Edited by Scout_Troop3R

Well after lots of torture, physical and mental it's finally here! I'm so grateful to AM for doing this and annoyed that it took so long for FedEx who delayed it a week. I wanted to get some work done on it before I left for my cottage but oh well. Only got one picture from my father while I was at work and I couldn't take any more since we had to leave right after.

https://imgur.com/a/GW8Og8T

Just now, Scout_Troop3R said:

Well after lots of torture, physical and mental it's finally here! I'm so grateful to AM for doing this and annoyed that it took so long for FedEx who delayed it a week. I wanted to get some work done on it before I left for my cottage but oh well. Only got one picture from my father while I was at work and I couldn't take any more since we had to leave right after.

https://imgur.com/a/GW8Og8T

(The imgur app is dumb and doesn't let me get the BB code.)

8 minutes ago, Scout_Troop3R said:

(The imgur app is dumb and doesn't let me get the BB code.)

You can right click and copy paste or take a look at this thread, may give you another option https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48799-posting-photos-using-imgur-101/

8wMpBwq.jpeg

Happy dance :D 

Just now, gmrhodes13 said:

You can right click and copy paste or take a look at this thread, may give you another option https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48799-posting-photos-using-imgur-101/

8wMpBwq.jpeg

Happy dance :D 

Yeah I would've right clicked but currently I'm on my phone in a car, but thanks for posting the picture here for me lol.

• Like 1

ALRIGHTY THEN! After my long week at my cottage I was finally able to go through my big brown box and enjoy pulling everything in it out.
I still need to get some supplies but I might as well start trimming and do what I can while I wait for things, still need to read all of AJ Hamler's TK Build as well.

Here's some pictures though!

lXOlfqF.jpg
A35EgZN.jpg
A82cteL.jpg
f5yC6rL.jpg

so that's pretty neat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right so I've decided to finally begin working on my build now that life is less busy and I picked the forearms to start, after finding them and reading some other build threads I started cutting out some 15mm strips for the cover strip (I think that's what it's called anyways.) I do have a few questions about the rest.

M7iJSsg.jpg

1. For fitting, how exactly does one go about doing that? I know there needs to be a return edge on the inside of the forearm, and no return edge at the wrist, but how do you determine what it should be at the other end?
2. I've noticed that AM builds usually have some wonky forearms when they arrive and mine is no exception, how would I go about fixing this? I've heard people use heat-guns or a hot water bath to help adjust this sort of thing.  -   - (Do you just heat it up and bend it slightly until it sticks?)
 - (I've used tape to just temporarily hold it together here.)

DtcbKTe.jpg
s5svvQu.jpg
pauQcJw.jpg

3. What grit of sandpaper should I use to get things ready for the butt & strip/joining method? I've got a sheet of 220 grit and a sponge block of 120 grit, but I haven't experimented with either and how both bond better to E-6000 and some spare ABS.

1. For fitting, how exactly does one go about doing that? I know there needs to be a return edge on the inside of the forearm, and no return edge at the wrist, but how do you determine what it should be at the other end? Depends on your size, if you have skinny arms like me you can't trim too small, you can leave extra return edge on the rear or you can remove it all if you have larger arms. Great thread on return edges

2. I've noticed that AM builds usually have some wonky forearms when they arrive and mine is no exception, how would I go about fixing this? I've heard people use heat-guns or a hot water bath to help adjust this sort of thing.  -   - (Do you just heat it up and bend it slightly until it sticks?)
 - (I've used tape to just temporarily hold it together here.) Only those experienced with heating ABS plastic should attempt this, there is a fine line from being pliable to molten mess, best to use a hot water bath if you really need to adjust. Most of the time you can pull the pieces into place, using masking tape you can press down on pieces then wrap the tape around while it dries, clamps and magnets are also useful.

Make sure you rough up both surfaces with coarse sandpaper before apply E6000. And for pieces under strain/stress leave to dry longer 48 to 72 hours. Many add inside cover strips for strength, I find I normally only need them in the shins as those pieces are constantly open and closed.

15 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

1. For fitting, how exactly does one go about doing that? I know there needs to be a return edge on the inside of the forearm, and no return edge at the wrist, but how do you determine what it should be at the other end? Depends on your size, if you have skinny arms like me you can't trim too small, you can leave extra return edge on the rear or you can remove it all if you have larger arms. Great thread on return edges

2. I've noticed that AM builds usually have some wonky forearms when they arrive and mine is no exception, how would I go about fixing this? I've heard people use heat-guns or a hot water bath to help adjust this sort of thing.  -   - (Do you just heat it up and bend it slightly until it sticks?)
 - (I've used tape to just temporarily hold it together here.) Only those experienced with heating ABS plastic should attempt this, there is a fine line from being pliable to molten mess, best to use a hot water bath if you really need to adjust. Most of the time you can pull the pieces into place, using masking tape you can press down on pieces then wrap the tape around while it dries, clamps and magnets are also useful.

Make sure you rough up both surfaces with coarse sandpaper before apply E6000. And for pieces under strain/stress leave to dry longer 48 to 72 hours. Many add inside cover strips for strength, I find I normally only need them in the shins as those pieces are constantly open and closed.

Ah.

might've forgotten that thread existed lol, thanks.

For now what I've decided to do is just trim down the wrists because I know those at least need to go all the way down.

After a bit of practice on some spare ABS I think the first one turned out pretty great,isn't make a few adjustments with my razor, just to get it rounder if need be.

b8pRN6W.jpg

Edited by Scout_Troop3R
  • Like 2

I also forgot to mention if you have really skinny arms you can add a little foam inside armor pieces to keep them sitting straight. Most don't need to add any padding.

20201011_111329.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I also forgot to mention if you have really skinny arms you can add a little foam inside armor pieces to keep them sitting straight. Most don't need to add any padding.

20201011_111329.jpg

Yeah I've heard of doing this but I have a feeling I won't need to lol, I have big arms.

• Like 1

Alright, managed to get (pretty much) all of the wrists done today so I'm super happy about that. (Aside from the left bottom panel arm thing where I still need to clear out some ABS, but I can do that in the morning so I don't wake my neighbors.)

9CqrIAs.jpg

Tomorrow if I'm not too busy hopefully I can start on the elbow trimming, which I'm just going to get rid of all the return edge there as well.

• Like 2

I finished the trimming on the wrists, and started/finished the elbow trimming just now, I've also taped them together and made markings so I can try and cut them into a similar shape, especially at the inner elbow there as it's currently uncomfortable when bent. After I'm done that I'll try and shape the left arm just a little bit to be wider using a bath. So far today has been pretty great!

RCcpKqN.jpg

p32lm5w.jpg

bqhjy4S.jpg

dBAjsSU.jpg