Shimming material options

aulb89

OK, the first of what may be many questions.....

I am in the process of shimming various parts so that they will fit my limbs. I used extra ABS for the forearms with no problems. When it comes to shimming the calves, however, the ABS is not flexible enough. I read on another forum that a type of flexible floor or bathtub molding can be used. It supposedly is available in bright white and is cheap. Is anyone familiar with this material? Has anyone given it a try with favorable results? Thanks!

Dell, moved this to the Assembly, Mods, and Painting section to keep things tidy. :)

As for shimming the shins, I used ABS as well. With keeping in mind I'm using FX armor. Rather than overlapping the front lip of the shin and gluing it to the other, as many people do, I added ABS shims to the inside of the shins. This way, there would be something to glue both shins to. This way, the front seam is thicker, which looks better in my opinion as the left knee plate lines up with it perfectly.

I also shimmed the back in a similar fashion, but rather than gluing both parts, I used velcro on one side for easy suiting up.

I realize this may have been a bit hard to understand and vague w/o pictures. If I get a chance, I'll try to get a couple pics up.

I used the flexible bath molding for my shins/calves in the back. ABS glued in the front and then put industrial strength loop velcro on BOTH sides of the armor (facing in) and put industrial strength hook velcro on the white molding (cut the length of the armor and about 1-1/2 to 2" in width). I cut both velcros about 1" wide and ran the length of the armor.

Depending on if I'm running a lot or not, when I put the shin armor on there is either a gap or sometimes not (when my calves are smaller) and at those times, both sides of the armor almost touch and you hardly see the molding behind it.

However, the molding is normally not the same color as the bright white ABS armor so there is a color difference, but then then most people see you from the front. Nobody's ever said how it looks from the back (or they're too polite). The molding is inexpensive and if you don't like how it works, it's not permanent and you can remove all the velcro and try something else.

I can send/post some photos this weekend if you'd like.

Don G.

TK-5372

I used the flexible bath molding for my shins/calves in the back. ABS glued in the front and then put industrial strength loop velcro on BOTH sides of the armor (facing in) and put industrial strength hook velcro on the white molding (cut the length of the armor and about 1-1/2 to 2" in width). I cut both velcros about 1" wide and ran the length of the armor.

Depending on if I'm running a lot or not, when I put the shin armor on there is either a gap or sometimes not (when my calves are smaller) and at those times, both sides of the armor almost touch and you hardly see the molding behind it.

However, the molding is normally not the same color as the bright white ABS armor so there is a color difference, but then then most people see you from the front. Nobody's ever said how it looks from the back (or they're too polite). The molding is inexpensive and if you don't like how it works, it's not permanent and you can remove all the velcro and try something else.

I can send/post some photos this weekend if you'd like.

Don G.

TK-5372

Great. Thanks for the advice.

I went to Home Depot last night and asked about bath molding. They had no idea what I was talking about! LOL. Where did you purchase yours from?

Some photos of your work would be great. Feel free to email me if you don't want to post them.

aulb89 said:
Great. Thanks for the advice.

I went to Home Depot last night and asked about bath molding. They had no idea what I was talking about! LOL. Where did you purchase yours from?

Some photos of your work would be great. Feel free to email me if you don't want to post them.

It's called vynil baseboard moulding. You can get it in short strips like 3 feet? I think they have it in tan (almond) and white. It's not expensive. I'll post the photos.

Don G.

TK-5372

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Here's some more photos (hard to get this photo posting thing for me).

:blink: For some reason I can't post due to files are too large even though I reduced them for web posting size. Send me a PM and I'll send them to you directly.

Don G.

Thanks for the photos guys. I found the baseboard molding and it turned out great. I was able to put on the entire set of armor for the first time this past weekend! The molding makes great belt material too.

I may also have to experiment with the vinyl sheet. From the photos, it seems to match the armor perfectly.

Thanks for the help!

Here's some more photos (hard to get this photo posting thing for me).

:blink: For some reason I can't post due to files are too large even though I reduced them for web posting size. Send me a PM and I'll send them to you directly.

Don G.

beerman667 said:

I found some nice and bright white vinyl sheet at Jo-ann fabrics. Makes it really easy to install and change around is you need to. Very comfortable too.

Thats a good idea, even though i don't need them its still cool ;)

Did you glue the vinyl on or was it velcroed. I think I'd like to switch out the ABS strips I'm using for this (as it'll form with the calf better). Thanks for the tip.

I used industrial velcro. I used two 1" strips on the inside of the calf shell (soft side facing in). I then used two strips on each vinyl strip to secure. I decided to go with the velcro route since it makes the shim adjustable.

I wouldn't quite say "lanky" (though it helps in the flexibity while in armor), but much more fit than the average adult SW "enthusiast" (geek) is. Tall guys have it bad, shorter guys have it bad, "robust" and huge melon having troopers like myself don't have it easy either. It's about doing the best with what you're delt with.

I'm surprised in all this time, no one has tried to do a sculpt for a different body type. The have been five different clone armors with two more on the way each (or most) using a different body size target, yet for TK the choices are suits tracing back to that ROTJ, FX, and now TM (if you can get it). Why no suits based off of a 6'2" 220lb model?

Thanks...us "fluffy" troopers need a little help, thats all :P

"Fluffy"...I like that :lol:

I'm surprised in all this time, no one has tried to do a sculpt for a different body type. The have been five different clone armors with two more on the way each (or most) using a different body size target, yet for TK the choices are suits tracing back to that ROTJ, FX, and now TM (if you can get it). Why no suits based off of a 6'2" 220lb model?

thats a good point :unsure:

• 4 months later...

Wow this thread was a life safer.... The shins are the last things i need to finish my armor.

but i am still a little confused, could you guys post pictures of the "inside" so that i can get an idea of were what gets glued, and were and how to velcor what.

Thx

TK_MD

I'm surprised in all this time, no one has tried to do a sculpt for a different body type.

This is exactly why I bought my vac former. I do stuff for weedy (schoolboy like) body frames. I'm 9.5 stone wet, so needed a trimmer build.

But yes you're right dude. When I get a bigger table that's the first thing I'll be doing ;)

There was a guy who made larger arnor who went by TK BIG. He did great work, a friend of mine has some of his armor. Unfortunately his molds got destroyed (not sure exactly how) and he's not made new ones.

Just an FYI.... for those interested.

I have been working on getting larger leg molds made. The goal is to match the FX armor (since it is what I have after all) It's been slow, but I hope they will be complete soon. I HATE MY SHIMS. I too was referred to TK Big

I'm 6'3" 250, and the new molds should be big enough that I have to trim a bit off for a good fit. They are also will be longer than the current FX molds. Not only do I HATE SHIMS, but I wanted to get rid of some of that extra black space.

Like I said, I hope they are done soon, but it's already been a while so what's the hurry anyway....

ps. I have no skills, I'm having them custom made.... leave it to the professionals.