SublimeBW's Armor Master's (AM) ANH Stunt Kit - Build Thread

SublimeBW

Posted (edited)

Worked on my ears and patching the old holes. I think the patching is good but feel that my ears are a bit sloppy. Amazing that I am struggling so much given that I have painted countless miniatures for D&D and Shatterpoint.

DnhWnaE.jpg

5BpnfAw.jpg

Wp695iy.jpg

iDMIvyV.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

Nice job on the patching - I don't think it will be noticeable from a few feet away.  The fine line on the paint is tricky,  you can clean it up slightly with a toothpick dipped in mineral spirits (just DO NOT USE acetone)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doggydoc said:

Nice job on the patching - I don't think it will be noticeable from a few feet away.  The fine line on the paint is tricky,  you can clean it up slightly with a toothpick dipped in mineral spirits (just DO NOT USE acetone)

Awesome tip. I will check out the mineral spirits approach. 

As for the patching, that is kind of how I felt about it as well. I picked up the Novus plastic polish and will be working on restoring the luster with that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SublimeBW said:

Awesome tip. I will check out the mineral spirits approach. 

You can also cheat, use a permanent marker, easier to control, you can also add masking tape which makes the lines extra crisp

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Alright, I think I have my ears looking good and am pretty happy with my vocoder (I still have to touch up the screws). I have mixed feelings about my "teeth" though (don't judge the teeth in the vocoder pictures, that was before I finished painting them). From certain angles, I think it looks good, while other angles make me want to paint higher.

Right ear
YpaXEpH.jpg

Left ear
NNkgYEO.jpg

Vocoder series
ZgaIjkT.jpg

p85AULJ.jpg

6Va6Svt.jpg

8DurPik.jpg

Teeth series

irMMvU4.jpg

M8YWMZz.jpg

9rxvP7C.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

Looking much better, just make sure there is no paint on the gums, I can see a few places ;) 

M8YWMZz(1).thumb.jpg.a7e4e4497482798ce3250a378ea232fb.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking much better, just make sure there is no paint on the gums, I can see a few places ;) 

Cool. I figured I would have some more to clean up but figured I would wait to do the final clean up until I knew I had a good "shape" (if that makes sense) as the first time I attempted to paint, I went a little high.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cleaned up the teeth/gums a bit, put the mesh in behind the teeth and added the tube stripes. I measured a pencil and traced a line against the helmet with a compass. I believe the positioning is correct.

Front facing

dvWfrZX.jpg

Right cheek

hvSvESD.jpg

UmC2U1r.jpg

Left cheek

vYtuYDc.jpg

YMBXZd9.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing

If the tube stripes are stickers you could carefully lift and pull off the front ones and lean forward (from the top) a little more. I have used tape in the past to help pull the stickers off to move. You do have big gaps to the ear so I would add a few more stipes, note the first reference below has 16 stripes.

DO reference guide:

Ideally at Level 2 tube stripes are approximately 1 cm (5/16ths) away from the cheek, and should also lean toward the front

00a63035f5a6bab81dc18d6d523bb9b6.jpg

UmC2U1r.jpg

6c1e27be296a8675a9209083c8fc2dcc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If the tube stripes are stickers you could carefully lift and pull off the front ones and lean forward (from the top) a little more. I have used tape in the past to help pull the stickers off to move. You do have big gaps to the ear so I would add a few more stipes, note the first reference below has 16 stripes.

DO reference guide:

Ideally at Level 2 tube stripes are approximately 1 cm (5/16ths) away from the cheek, and should also lean toward the front

Got it. I misunderstood the leaning forward piece. I moved the front 4ish bars to have a bit of a forward lean then added onto the back.

Right cheek

M3ty9PV.jpg

O0IsEAF.jpg

Left cheek

6YIHaQl.jpg

NZBW9b3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SublimeBW said:

Got it. I misunderstood the leaning forward piece. I moved the front 4ish bars to have a bit of a forward lean then added onto the back.

Right cheek

M3ty9PV.jpg

O0IsEAF.jpg

Left cheek

6YIHaQl.jpg

emperor-palpatine-star-wars-you-ve-done-

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I started putting attempting to figure out putting the electronics in as well as a test fit and was curious what people do able bobble head. I inserted some padding and I like the fit (where my eyes sit in relation to the lenses) but I definitely suffer from bobble head syndrome.

1. Should I add more padding around the sides or maybe find a hard hat bracket for the interior?

2. I have a power source and the IComm, is it better to store that in the back of the helmet (maybe even out the weight) or on the interior of the chest piece?

3. I noticed it is pretty hard to hear in the helmet. Is a hearing assist module worth the cost? If so, what type of headphones do people use with theirs?

Interior view

YrqQsHf.jpg?1

Test fit

DL1Xmf2.mp4

Edited by SublimeBW
Correcting image sizing

I find that padding to be very firm and can give me a headache after a while. I went with yellow foam, 10 mm piece on the top and 2 x 2" pieces on the sides, once on it keeps the helmet from moving, but what ever works for you, there is no right way (unless you want to go screen accurate) ;) 

1898853333_Screenshot_20210510-124629_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.44a51b0fa39e34044763fb1364228104.jpg

1. Should I add more padding around the sides or maybe find a hard hat bracket for the interior? I find a block of foam on the sides stops the helmet from moving and you can bend without it tilling.

2. I have a power source and the IComm, is it better to store that in the back of the helmet (maybe even out the weight) or on the interior of the chest piece? Depends what room you have in the helmet. I have my aker and icomm behind my chest because I have neck issues and can't have the extra weight in the helmet 

3. I noticed it is pretty hard to hear in the helmet. Is a hearing assist module worth the cost? If so, what type of headphones do people use with theirs? I tried it for a convention then ripped it out, it picked up so much background noise I found it was better without hearing assist but some swear by it, comes down to personal choice. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/525724448/9v-hearing-assist-system-sha?click_key=5f58302ac0aa60a1c48f034aed75f6b451343f39%3A525724448&click_sum=fc01c65c&ref=shop_home_feat_1&sts=1

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I find that padding to be very firm and can give me a headache after a while. I went with yellow foam, 10 mm piece on the top and 2 x 2" pieces on the sides, once on it keeps the helmet from moving, but what ever works for you, there is no right way (unless you want to go screen accurate) ;) 

1898853333_Screenshot_20210510-124629_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.44a51b0fa39e34044763fb1364228104.jpg

1. Should I add more padding around the sides or maybe find a hard hat bracket for the interior? I find a block of foam on the sides stops the helmet from moving and you can bend without it tilling.

2. I have a power source and the IComm, is it better to store that in the back of the helmet (maybe even out the weight) or on the interior of the chest piece? Depends what room you have in the helmet. I have my aker and icomm behind my chest because I have neck issues and can't have the extra weight in the helmet 

3. I noticed it is pretty hard to hear in the helmet. Is a hearing assist module worth the cost? If so, what type of headphones do people use with theirs? I tried it for a convention then ripped it out, it picked up so much background noise I found it was better without hearing assist but some swear by it, comes down to personal choice. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/525724448/9v-hearing-assist-system-sha?click_key=5f58302ac0aa60a1c48f034aed75f6b451343f39%3A525724448&click_sum=fc01c65c&ref=shop_home_feat_1&sts=1

Cool. I will add some foam (I have some hanging around the house, I think) and give that a go before messing with finding a bracket insert.

Thanks for the feedback about the background noise, I didn't consider that. Maybe it is better to get the armor done (pretty much just waiting on my neck seal and belt from Soulart (excludingmy blaster)) before adding more toys to the helmet. Maybe get a troop in and make a decision.

• Like 1

Sometimes one never knows the issues and ideas that will pop up until one gets out there and troops. In my few troops so far, I have found people to be very understanding when I ask them to repeat something because I couldn't hear. After all, they can easily imagine not being able to hear if they were wearing the same helmet!

For me, I have found the bigger problem is that I do not have a voice amp, which is something I am working to add before too long. My helmet fans are near my mouth, so the microphones I have tried mostly pick up the fan noise. I'll find a solution at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tilheyra said:

Sometimes one never knows the issues and ideas that will pop up until one gets out there and troops. In my few troops so far, I have found people to be very understanding when I ask them to repeat something because I couldn't hear. After all, they can easily imagine not being able to hear if they were wearing the same helmet!

For me, I have found the bigger problem is that I do not have a voice amp, which is something I am working to add before too long. My helmet fans are near my mouth, so the microphones I have tried mostly pick up the fan noise. I'll find a solution at some point.

In my test runs of the helmet, I found that if I have my microphone close to the center tooth, it picks me up pretty clearly without grabbing noise from the fan.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We completed most of the rigging today (I am waiting on a belt from Amazon for the thigh rigging) and it felt really cool (and tricky) to give everything a test fit at once. Sadly, I grabbed the wrong set of under clothes (with white seems, the set came with both white and black) so have that little annoyance in the picture. 

ygYq2Wk.jpg

RPw7OHO.jpg

ZoUKrwS.jpg

Y8l7ahY.jpg

EF81M4t.jpg

Edited by SublimeBW
Corrected image sizing
  • Like 3

On 4/4/2024 at 8:31 AM, SublimeBW said:

In my test runs of the helmet, I found that if I have my microphone close to the center tooth, it picks me up pretty clearly without grabbing noise from the fan.

A tip that I learned that helped I originally used the hovi tip speakers from @ukswrath and was having major feed back when I turned the volume up. Tony suggested lining the helmet around the mic with Frost King foam pipe insulation tape. It worked wonders. But since then, I moved my speakers to the inside of my chest plate. Like Brian said, When you start trooping and spending more time in the armor you'll find what works best for you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

We completed most of the rigging today (I am waiting on a belt from Amazon for the thigh rigging) and it felt really cool (and tricky) to give everything a test fit at once. Sadly, I grabbed the wrong set of under clothes (with white seems, the set came with both white and black) so have that little annoyance in the picture. 

ygYq2Wk.jpg

RPw7OHO.jpg

ZoUKrwS.jpg

Y8l7ahY.jpg

EF81M4t.jpg

Almost there!

• Like 1