DocDan's FOTK Build (Back Stage Props)

DocDan

Did my very first test fit of the upper parts. Feedback is welcomed.

First impression-"wow, I look really big, intimidating, like a robot almost!" :shok:

Second-"how in the hell am I going to do this by myself?!" :lol:

9DEYrGF.jpg?1

xYtt1Qq.jpg

O93bptP.jpg

Don't mind the straps-those were trimmed. ;)

vdMATPS.jpg

I need to do some fine trimming so things are not rubbing or overlapping like here.  Need to trim the bicep a bit plus move it up towards my shoulder on the gasketing.

5V4sIy5.jpg

There's quite a big difference in feeling between wearing an OTTK and a FOTK, feeling beefed up is exactly how I felt.

I have found having slight shorter elastic/strapping on the front helps the shoulder bells to rotate inwards when you have moved your arms, may be a tweak, see how you go kitted up.

Velcroed up the chest plate. Wow more than I thought!

This plate goes under the yoke chest piece to give it strength and for the chest plate to mount to.  I may not need this down the road but trying it for now…

E7VjWgy.jpg

5hXiYhl.jpg

Added some extra abs here to build it up a bit then Velcro so it will transition nicely to the back wing.

rcoLpMK.jpg

Back wing…

RVHLeLZ.jpg

O9VYpKw.jpg

J69gmxl.jpg

ZYjMTy7.jpg

• Like 1

After doing the trimming on the thighs, ankles, forearms and biceps i did my very FIRST test fit of almost the whole kit (forgot TD, side belt boxes not done yet and spats are not attached yet). It took about 45 minutes to get suited up!! :blink: 

Let me know your thoughts...

lB42bWi.jpg

ULLnhqt.jpg

YFhKt9W.jpg

MT34on9.jpg

UyYHsI7.jpg

pzMMi14.jpg

MHcJFvM.jpg

Exciting times, I remember that feeling of first kit up.

A couple of areas I added some foam padding to help centralize, the inner top sides of the shins and the lower outer sides of the thighs, if you look at your front image your thighs are angled inwards towards the base and the shins top are also angled inwards, the additional foam helped to keep them in alignment, something you may want to play with.

Also knee armor is a pain to get sitting right, if you check your image they both appear too far to the outer side and also angled downwards towards the middle.

Just a case of playing with gaps and positions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocDan said:

After doing the trimming on the thighs, ankles, forearms and biceps i did my very FIRST test fit of almost the whole kit (forgot TD, side belt boxes not done yet and spats are not attached yet). It took about 45 minutes to get suited up!! :blink: 

Let me know your thoughts...

lB42bWi.jpg

ULLnhqt.jpg

YFhKt9W.jpg

MT34on9.jpg

UyYHsI7.jpg

pzMMi14.jpg

MHcJFvM.jpg

Nice first kit up Daniel.  It looks like everything is fitting very well, If I may what catch my attention in the thighs and shins section.

I would suggest to make a try and overlap a little more the inner joint (you can use painter tape)  to reduce the room a bit more.

otherwise, IMO  you looks good at this stage !  :jc_doublethumbup:

O9nStXm.jpg

vI5hlbC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Exciting times, I remember that feeling of first kit up.

A couple of areas I added some foam padding to help centralize, the inner top sides of the shins and the lower outer sides of the thighs, if you look at your front image your thighs are angled inwards towards the base and the shins top are also angled inwards, the additional foam helped to keep them in alignment, something you may want to play with.

Also knee armor is a pain to get sitting right, if you check your image they both appear too far to the outer side and also angled downwards towards the middle.

Just a case of playing with gaps and positions. 

Hi Glen, @gmrhodes13

Thanks so much! I am planning on making these adjustments this weekend. I did not want to cut too much initially and I have left the thighs Velcroed on the inside because of this. I appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Nice first kit up Daniel.  It looks like everything is fitting very well, If I may what catch my attention in the thighs and shins section.

I would suggest to make a try and overlap a little more the inner joint (you can use painter tape)  to reduce the room a bit more.

otherwise, IMO  you looks good at this stage !  :jc_doublethumbup:

O9nStXm.jpg

vI5hlbC.jpg

Hi Mario! @TKSpartan

Thanks so much!  It seems this is the consensus so far and my local GML has stated the same. The photos with the markings really helps. I think once I pull these pieces in a bit more it will solve the issue. I have a bunch of padding I can add as well.  Thanks again for the support so far. :salute:

• Like 1

Can you pull your chest/back piece down a little? Looks like it is sitting tall on your torso - armor in relation to top of shoulders (could just be the angle of the camera). Otherwise you are looking good!

L0RPMQ1.jpg

Edited by LTM
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LTM said:

Can you pull your chest/back piece down a little? Looks like it is sitting tall on your torso - armor in relation to top of shoulders (could just be the angle of the camera). Otherwise you are looking good!

L0RPMQ1.jpg

Thanks Lou,

My helmet was actually sitting too low on my head. Since then, I have adjust the mechanism inside so it now sits higher. Hoping that helps as it was also hitting the yoke when I turned my head. I’m going to kit up again since of done more trimming and adjusting :) 

Did some trimming down of the thighs and ankles from all the feedback.  It actually feels alot better now that the parts are closer to my ankles and thighs!  Let me know how it looks to you..

bZ1ird5.jpg

qdhAJ93.jpg

Qm0dv6d.jpg

KzPjkvT.jpg

uKDbMJQ.jpg

XSDLcWi.jpg

• Like 3

Did another suit up...
My yoke was a bit crooked in these pics as I need to find a better way of securing the chest plate wings to the yoke back wings. I’ll need to make some type of extenders so the wings can meet up and Velcro on the sides. Besides, this yoke from Walt’s is a bit small in my opinion (and that’s coming from a small framed person). My GML also has a problem with how small the chest plate is so I will be getting my BSP chest plate out and rigging that up to see how it looks with the yoke.  The yoke has already cracked twice trying to get it over my head and shoulders :(. I have now added reinforcement behind those areas and hoping that helps. 

My helmet is now sitting higher as well as I adjusted the ring inside and added another pad on top ;)

If everything things look good, I want to start priming and painting next.

uaYia2c.jpg

w8gW6EP.jpg

QVIcGkm.jpg

xHJKsXq.jpg

RjRc0ih.jpg

SeTy5lP.jpg

keksNic.jpg

Edited by DocDan
added more description

On 3/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, DocDan said:

The yoke has already cracked twice trying to get it over my head and shoulders :(. I have now added reinforcement behind those areas and hoping that helps. 

I Had exactly the same issue (nightmare)  Daniel   :56pullhair:    . I added some plastic reinforce inside and when suiting up (I can't do it alone , I need someone to  help me )  This sections needs especial attention and care.   

HyLJVoF.jpg?1

• Like 1

It's definitely a stress point and will crack over time, I've added abs behind twice now as well as some JB weld but it's just one of those areas which needs attention and repair. Be great if we could have had the hinge system like Phasma 

NlcuxkZ.jpg

Or the early prototype Anovos 

PriiNUm.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKSpartan said:

I Had exactly the same issue (nightmare)  Daniel   :56pullhair:    . I added some plastic reinforce inside and when suiting up (I can't do it alone , I need someone to  help me )  This sections needs especial attention and care.   

HyLJVoF.jpg?1

Yes! -this is exactly what I am in the process of doing. I have a whole “C” shaped piece I will glue in the stress area on both arm hole areas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working really hard at sanding the armor.  I used 220 then 400 grit paper. That should be enough to make the primer grab. I have the whole kit now washed and dried. Will be masking where the clips attach next.

z8Tqura.jpg

Really fine, powdery dust so I’m glad the weather is getting nicer :) 

C4oFCaI.jpg

Also working on the new resin clips that were provided on the FB group. I had to heat and bend them to fit the curve of the armor.

lvBJMr1.jpg

ycBbJO9.jpg

Picture is blurred but I got them to conform nicely.

kJH0b2g.jpg

All the clips are ready to go except for the forearms.  Those have to be sanded on the sides a bit to fit the indents…I’ll be doing that next.

I've gone through 2 sets of bell tabs so far, they can take a bit of strain depending how much you move around, not a bad idea at all adding more strength to them.

With sanding especially with spray putty or primer/filler I use wet and dry sandpaper and water with a few drops of detergeant, learnt this through the auto paint trade, paper will glide better, not clog as quickly and of course no dust. 

Another tip is a list mist of black over your primed pieces before sanding, this shows any low areas or scratches as it will leave any black once sanded.

• Like 1