Glueing the shoulder straps

TK-8224

When you glue the shoulder straps to the chest, do you f.ex glue a little piece of abs inside the end of the strap first? There is so little connection between the chest and the strap because the strap is kind of "hollow". Anyone follow me and know what to do? :)

When you glue the shoulder straps to the chest, do you f.ex glue a little piece of abs inside the end of the strap first? There is so little connection between the chest and the strap because the strap is kind of "hollow". Anyone follow me and know what to do? :)

I just used the ABS glue, then clamped it down for 24 hrs. That did the trick for me.

Yes gluing a little 'pad' of ABS inside the hollow ridge would help yes.

BUT.....

What's even better is if you use a black strap of velcro underneath the shoulder strap (over your shoulder) to hold the chest and back plate together and just leave the back floating. (like the films)

Heat it to curve it backward yes but dont glue it on the back. Use a strip to connect both together underneath.

Plus this way you can get the chest plate right up under your chin

Yes gluing a little 'pad' of ABS inside the hollow ridge would help yes.

BUT.....

What's even better is if you use a black strap of velcro underneath the shoulder strap (over your shoulder) to hold the chest and back plate together and just leave the back floating. (like the films)

Heat it to curve it backward yes but dont glue it on the back. Use a strip to connect both together underneath.

Plus this way you can get the chest plate right up under your chin

I have done that, but I still have to glue it to the chest, right? ;)

I guess the little pad will work best. And only on the chest piece, and not the back piece, ofc. ;)

Does anyone glue it to both pieces? Must be terrible to get dressed, and I can't imagine the fun of fitting this into a suitcase. :lol:

I couldn't get the glue and straps to sit right, so I cheated and just use velcro.

I use velcro as well and have never had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

i used a rivot on the chest to attach it, a rivot in the center over the shoulderswith a snap underneath to attach the bells straps to.

i run a length of white velcro all the way on the underside of the shoulder straps before i did anything, that makes the straps a lil more strengthened up for stress.

i was plannin on rivoting the back plate on as well, so it will slip on like a pullover shirt, then just fasten bottom ends together with elastic with velcro on end end.

found a nice tutorial on it, of course i gotta get the wife to help set and mark the backplate positions to the straps, so i know where to place back rivots.

Edited by Lan-Ed-Tul

There are several excellent methods to attach the shoulder straps, but in my opinion they should never be riveted. ABS glue or E-6000 in the front, a little velcro in the back with a support strap is a great combination.

• Like 1

i used a rivot on the chest to attach it, a rivot in the center over the shoulderswith a snap underneath to attach the bells straps to.

i run a length of white velcro all the way on the underside of the shoulder straps before i did anything, that makes the straps a lil more strengthened up for stress.

i was plannin on rivoting the back plate on as well, so it will slip on like a pullover shirt, then just fasten bottom ends together with elastic with velcro on end end.

found a nice tutorial on it, of course i gotta get the wife to help set and mark the backplate positions to the straps, so i know where to place back rivots.

Please NEVER Rivet your shoulder straps

Was never an option for me. ;)

Oh, I figured that Lisa, i just don't want other individuals on this forum getting the wrong idea :unsure:

Oh, I figured that Lisa, i just don't want other individuals on this forum getting the wrong idea :unsure:

Wrong ideas are never good. ;)

My shoulder straps are still not shaped with the heat gun, so I have plenty of time to think about how to put them on. We used velcro on my lbf's straps, but they keep falling off. I guess we'll glue them all in the end. :)

Wrong ideas are never good. ;)

My shoulder straps are still not shaped with the heat gun, so I have plenty of time to think about how to put them on. We used velcro on my lbf's straps, but they keep falling off. I guess we'll glue them all in the end. :)

yeah, i velcro'ed and hot glued mine 3 years ago and they are still holding " so far" :unsure: I have a troop tomorrow, and now I probably just gave myself bad luck :(

yeah, i velcro'ed and hot glued mine 3 years ago and they are still holding " so far" :unsure: I have a troop tomorrow, and now I probably just gave myself bad luck :(

Then why should they fall off now? :lol:

The best of luck on your troop tomorrow!

i was thinkin of velcro on the back to strap. but i see no reason why a single rivot on the front is not good. i only put one in the center on the end/

and the one i will put in the middle is only there to hold the half of the snap on the underside to attach bells to.

i guess i could, i suppose grind off the rivot, peel back the velcro on that ens some, and abs glue it in place, but really i dont see why the single rivot is gonna do any harm, the way i did it, at least.

i was thinkin of velcro on the back to strap. but i see no reason why a single rivot on the front is not good. i only put one in the center on the end/

and the one i will put in the middle is only there to hold the half of the snap on the underside to attach bells to.

i guess i could, i suppose grind off the rivot, peel back the velcro on that ens some, and abs glue it in place, but really i dont see why the single rivot is gonna do any harm, the way i did it, at least.

Rivets are not screen accurate.