Swannee's Pre-Approval Thread

CT 1977

Many of us use a free online image host such as Imgur, you upload your photos there then copy the "direct links" straight into your post, a how to here:

okay, so now I'm fumbling through this posting method but starting to get the hang of it. The shot above and below are examples of the bumps and deformities. Almost to the point of obscuring the mold depressions. If this is normal and workable, I'm good with it. Just wanted to bring this up at the start. Thanks, all!

2uZDw4B.jpg

Bumps and lumps are pretty normal with helmets, it's what the original armor had, nothing to be concerned about ;) 

• Like 1

So, this is the start of my ATA Works armor build. Thank you for reading this thread and even bigger thanks for any tips and advice you can throw my way. Today is great day to start the build as it's forecast to rain all day so indoors is the place to be. 

Below are the two pieces of my bucket and I've marked along the most prominent cut lines I could see. My plan is to follow the lines VERY conservatively, leaving enough so I can file or shape it back to where its supposed to be. I've poured over You Tube and these forums on the different techniques for cutting. I have to say the teeth are what is giving me the most anxiety, but again, I'll be conservative with the cuts. The lines didn't come out very well in the photos but are pretty clear in person. If you see anything in the lines that look off or wayward, please let me know.

P2272505.JPG

The eyes are done, unless someone sees something that needs improvement. The left eye, upper outside corner got away from me a bit. I recovered the best I could and am hesitant to file any more material as it looks like its getting pretty close. I don't know, that left eye is giving me a hard time. Thoughts?

64SsQPf.jpg

rEflIsX.jpg

wkMQqA7.jpg

You will find the back plate will cover the front quite a lot, the inner line would be fine.

Here are some great references and threads on helmet building:

ANHSTUNTfrown1

gallery_14191_25_80481.jpg

FYI as this isn't really a pre approval thread I will move this thread to the ANH Build Area

I've run into a problem that I can't seem to resolve. When I get the faceplate matched to the helmet, the opening isn't big enough to go over my head. It doesn't look like there's much left to trim so I'm at a loss. Anyone run into this before?

WQKlcWb.jpg

I thought I was following the trim lines here but it doesn't look good.

niETp30.jpg

P1pG1fw.jpg

Changing the angle of the faceplate will make the opening larger.

WQKlcWb.thumb.jpg.1252ca713f6619cad0ebd3ef5826a9b9.jpg

You can have a small gap at the base between the front and backplates, this will be covered by the ears.

5506821356_b8133dd074_z.jpg.7eac95a6976e2a1d3a0cdb58b9ac24f2.jpg

Also looks like you can remove some more excess material

niETp30.thumb.jpg.61e4bc08c195c05319fb3207872c9167.jpg

Just make sure also you are putting the helmet on sideways, they don't go on straight.

gallery_14191_19_109513.jpggallery_12157_38_3539.jpg.11206f9971f724ccb0610863c57a39c9.jpg

• Like 1

I was suspecting maybe the sideways donning was going to be the answer, as you stated. The issue is that if I move the faceplate forward, it loses congruency with the tube and creates a gap that appears at the top of the tube because it is no longer in line with the tube/rounded part of the helmet, as you see here: 

f88m1wi.jpg?2

I'll try putting it on sideways and see what happens.

Having a gap there is fine as it will be covered by the ear and not seen ;) 

ANH_Trooper_Christies_09.thumb.jpg.5fb39d51758b4a665326aefdc478102d.jpgANHstunt_2005.thumb.jpg.e370cc5abe5e024fc6c68f989a019828.jpg

ATA opening

zxi1yjJ.jpg

I used Paul's idea to use screws to hold it together so I can work on the ears. Once I've got the ears done, I'll go back and finish the faceplate, reattach it and start on the inside. Big thanks to all who have helped and keep it coming. Let me know your thoughts on my bucket. Keep in mind I still have to clean up the teeth. I'm thinking the eyes are done unless something pops out to you.

m71mwLL.jpg?1

4VD2F9Y.jpg?1

oAug900.jpg?1

• Like 2

Looks good.

Would like to see Left and right  side photo. (consider take the photos  from certain distance , 4 to 6 feet  and then crop it, to avoid some distortion in the image.

:salute:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Looks good.

Would like to see Left and right  side photo. (consider take the photos  from certain distance , 4 to 6 feet  and then crop it, to avoid some distortion in the image.

:salute:

here you and thanks! I'm pretty much done with the eyes unless anyone see's anything that needs work. The teeth still need cleaning up. Ears are next then dissassemble to work the lenses, voco pieces. I'm heading out to Michaels on Wed to p/u the paint.

4VD2F9Y.jpg?1

oAug900.jpg?1