What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

I am going to try Option A; Slim down.

Great choice to make, not only investing in your health but at the same time getting the added bonus of looking and feeling just like the Troopers on screen :duim:

Here’s a little something to get you going, I recommend looking up the site for more inspirational workouts:)

Vbky8Z7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Daniel.   Yea over summer I ride my bike for miles every day.  But winter ugh.  I mean I can look at other options if I can't starve it off.  I do have a treadmill, but I prefer biking.  I think running would do the trick, but I'm always twisting my ankles when I run.  Then I crack my knee and I can't decide which one hurts more to grab hold of.

Edited by Zinfer

So, tonights project was attaching the holster to the belt.  I'd picked up some 24 line snaps earlier as I considered using web material rather than elastics on the armor.  I got all the holes punched in both belt and holster.  I then used female snaps on the front of the leather straps of the holster to fasten them onto male snaps on the inside of the belt.  Done.  Now for the belt, which actually is a bit thicker than the leather.  Seems in order to get the male snaps on the belt I'm going to have to use 1/8 x 1/8 rivets as the 24 line snaps don't have enough meet on them to get through it to bend them over the inner snap.  I'm trusing a 1/8 x 1/8 rivet won't draw straight through the holes on the belt.  Considering a second washer on the rivets. I'm ok with rivets, but not an expert.xW4g53w.jpg

Initially I went with around 2" gap, but changed my mind to 1" below the belt for the holster hang.

HgUNxXi.jpg

Holster snaps on there good.  That half is done.

JjsDF92.jpg

So now comes the problem of rivet size.  I need to buy some regardless as I don't have any 1/8 x 1/8 -  What does everyone else use for these?  My snaps are 24 line as I mentioned before.

Some use rivets, some use chicago screws (note below image is a Hero version ;) )

zj5WVQJ.jpg

holster-belt-screws.jpg

I used split rivets, same as ab/kidney, thigh ammo strip approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter

025DAF9C-D7F8-426E-A88D-2F9D7D24096A-5419-000008D5E7ED71FE.thumb.jpg.434292fe45f5b017489ed0f38c431284.jpg

• Like 2

Began assembling the armor today.  I reinforced every point except for the bottom of the kidney.  Have to come up with 3 more plastics and fit them.  I was a little surprised how much the chest plate can come above the codpiece.  I may be with 1" pieces there instead of 2".  But we'll see when I can actually climb into it.  For now I at least have to get some straps on the chest plate and back to even try to get it together, but not much point until I get some weight off.  V4qtbFA.jpg

I feel that, the more I assemble, the more firm and tight the unit will become.  Right now parts are just kinda flopping around.  But I wish I could have done a trial fit tonight.  Can't really do that without the straps on the chest and back.

4ZlT7jl.jpg

Striving for a nice snug fit.  If the elastics don't feel right, I'll go tighter, but right now it's all about cutting.  :)

T9f8i3C.jpg

May need to make the chest straps shorter?  This is a 2".

C8OLFiw.jpg

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 2

Question; I'm about to paint the frown and I'm curious; Do I paint any black after the last of the gray teeth.  Looks like a spot of black may be appropriate there.  Checking before I do it for the Stunt.

There can be a dab of grey paint on the ends, not all had it.

DaveMANH02.jpgDaveMANH08.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt03.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt02.jpg

Some helmets had an extra section cut out between the last teeth as you can see on the right top frown in the image below

gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

And here

gallery_12157_13_606711.jpg

First coat for the traps and tears.  Also brought the corners down a little on the frown.  These traps and tears are tricky and hard.  And I haven't even gotten to the outlining yet.  Just freehanded the first coat.AgfEwqz.jpg

bsJ7JKl.jpg

Just a tip, it is a a little easier to paint the black around the edge first as you can go a little wide, then when you paint the grey inside you can get a finer edge line ;) 

32 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Just a tip, it is a a little easier to paint the black around the edge first as you can go a little wide, then when you paint the grey inside you can get a finer edge line ;) 

I will try this.  I am terribad with straight lines, never mind painting them.

These lines are a little broad but I may be able to deal with it on the inside(gray).  I am going to try to use pencil lines for the outlines.  One thing I've found is it helps tremendously is if I cradle the helment in my left while painting with my right.  It tends to steady me, between that and my pinky.  y0IMivQ.jpg

7cAQWUZ.jpg

This is really quite hard.

Edited by Zinfer

A strange question for you, Rodney:  Can you post up a pic of the actual brush (just the tip) you are using to paint the lines?  I may have a suggestion or two to help.

Doing some digging and I did see one video reference for using a 10/0 liner.  Going to make yet another run to Hobby Lobby to see if they have any 10/0 liners.

Hope the Humbrol comes off easily after drying.

Edited by Zinfer