Helotech's 3D-Props DLT-19 Build

Helotech

Minor but big update.

Even though this work wasn't hard, it was scary for me to start drilling into my blaster for the electronics. There's almost no going back now...

Does anyone know if we can place videos on this site like pics? I have a couple vids of the lighting effects.

1" Hole at rear of "power pack". This is where the scope display will sit. The Balstfx has the tiny scope display, then it uses a red filter (for an ominous glow...) and concave lens to magnify the image. I will have to mount the display about 1/2" inside the box for proper magnification. I originally though of mounting the concave lens so it protrudes outside the box, but I may recess it inside to protect it. I'll then build up a slight rim around the hole. The main rectangular display / shot counter will sit below this. I will have to build a little angled box around the display as it will sit below the bottom edge of the box.

1BCwJhB.jpg

Hole on forward side of the box for the laser.

bMZPVv7.jpg

Hole I drilled on the inside of the receiver going to the box. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to remove all the wires from the components, feed them though the holes then re-solder everything. 

dxK70Z8.jpg

So, I drilled out the hole for the magnet. It turned out like crap...

I ended up cutting off the tab and gluing  a post to the bottom indie of receiver. A magnet will be attached to it. Pics to follow.

TSS1nxD.jpg

Holes drilled in barrel. It was a pain as I don't have a drill press and had to drill large 5/8" holes on a curved surface. It took me a while to clean up the jagged hole edges. This will barely be seen through the barrel shroud hole, but I wanted things neat and tidy.

3Wm0sdy.jpg

MNk2qAn.jpg

Rectangular hole for light strip. That is the battery pack at bottom right that I am using to power everything. I also purchased a recharging circuit board. The power pack is great, but if you order one of these double check the wiring. The red and black were reversed in the white connector (not shown here) so it didn't charge.

vx923k2.jpg

That's all for now.

A lot of work adding electronics into blasters not made for them, looks like you are winning the fight, nice work

14 hours ago, Helotech said:

(...)   Does anyone know if we can place videos on this site like pics?   (...)

Yes, it actually works the same way. You need an online host (like Youtube) to upload your videos to and then place the link in your thread.

That should work.

Oh, and great job done so far. :duim:

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I do use Imgur for my pics, but when I tried uploading the vids with it they didn't work. I'll try again.

This blaster does have a small panel on the bottom of the receiver (where on the real gun one of the ejection ports would be) specifically made to hold the main display plus a couple of the buttons.

However, I just thought of a "real" blaster and it would seem silly to put the display facing downwards. 

I wanted everything to be seen by the operator when it is raised to the shoulder. Non cannon, but still plausible.

Ok. Files uploaded successfully to Imgur. I'll see if they play.

https://i.imgur.com/oUXECZ2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/yAaDIyI.mp4

• Like 1

Some people place solid / hollow acrylic tubing inside their E-11 barrels, and it increases the lighting effect by dispersing the light better.

Since I don't want to order 6' of tubing (min order), I am doing an experiment where I use scrap plastic packaging material.

I'm painting it with a clear semi gloss primer to make it hazy, then will roll it into a tube shape and slip it in the barrel. I'll see if it works.

In case you should come across a suitable acrylic tube for this purpose it makes sense to slightly sand the outer surface to get that frozen effect.

This helps hiding the actual LEDs and improves the look.

But for the moment I keep fingers crossed for your scrap plastic packaging material. :)

I never thought of sanding! Thanks!

I can source flexible vinyl tubing much cheaper than the rigid clear tubing. The plastic tube can be found at any hardware store and comes in different diameters.

I'll have to experiment to see what gives better light effects.

So0EAp9.png

• 4 months later...

Hey all!

Long time since an update, but the end of the world and me working from home has got me inspired to push and finish this beast!

We also got a new puppy two months ago (another tri-pawd of course...) so we have been kept fairly busy!

Doggy break!

dM24tq9.jpg

Z7ZpS2s.jpg

Anyways...

So, I finally got used to my resin printer and designed some small pieces in Sketchup to hold the electronics in position.

Starting from the left:

• "L" shaped piece will hold the digital scope display inside the blaster, behind the circle cut out.
  • The funny shaped piece with pointy bit was part of a digital MG34 file I found online. Very accurate files that I may use to build another resin DLT... ;) I am only using the pointy bit, which in the real world holds the bipod legs against the barrel.
  • Above this is a circle which will hold the scopes red and magnifying lenses. I added two simple greeblie bumps for visual interest.
  • To the extreme right you see several copies of the main digital display holder. These caused a bit of a head ache to design, size and print.
    • From top down:
      • V1.0 1st print was good. but undersized and wouldn't fit the display. I added two greeblie buttons to the design on the right which may be painted red and blue?
      • V2.0 was modified slightly to hold the display better, buttons moved to left side, and it was enlarged. Unfortunately, I calculated the sizing conversion wrong moving from Sketchup to Chitubox program. It was now too large.
      •  V3.0 is the pile of 4 holders that ended up as mis-prints. The back wall wouldn't print properly. This was a combination of a slight modification I made in Skecthup, and me finding out the build plate of the printer had loosed slightly.
      • V4.0 are the two prints at the bottom. They turned out great. However, the display opening is slightly large and you will be able to see the wire connectors (see pics below). Since I don't want to do another print and waste resin, I will just use some modelling skills on this one.
    • eYjtILs.jpg?1

I also printed a proper cocking handle from that MG34 file I found. It is hollow, properly sized and the knurling detail on the is beautiful!

I just have to replace the big screw attachment part with the one from the kit supplied piece I have.

JeSyKCe.jpg

Lenses inside their holder. 

xOwoM5H.jpg

Scope display on it's holder. You will see in below pics where this will sit inside the blaster.

XKXjD4h.jpg

Main display in the holder. I will need to trim the right hand side (closet to blaster receiver) as it is slightly long and sticks out past the end of the blaster box on the left. You'll see what I mean in below pics. Also may need to block in the opening on the right so the wire connectors aren't seen.

TopxUdr.jpg

Another view. I designed an opening on the right so the wires can go into the receiver through the previously drilled hole (see earlier posts).

ABuBuyk.jpg

Here is a crappy pic of the L shaped scope display holder blue-tacked into place temporarily. 

OtoR0FQ.jpg

All the items blue-tacked for fit.

You can see how the main display holder stick out from the blaster on left. I want this to sit flush.

Icok3hY.jpg

niNeAyj.jpg

PspkJfo.jpg

FrJb6fp.jpg

Hopefully this will all look good when done and blend into the blaster as if it was designed to be there. Yes, it's not "canon", but could be a slight modification (DLT-19A-1....?) just like all TK blasters are slightly different (wires or no wires, Counter or no counter....etc)

Hopefully the next post will be sooner than 4 months!

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

Awesome that you're back! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I might also have a dlt build on the way :P, but it's going still slow with my snowie so we shall see when I get to it...

Hey Jonas! 

Good to hear from you!

I didn't know you were doing a snowie. That's awesome!

I've also started the Boba Build. Now THAT will take a while...

• Like 1

Update:

I had to de-solder the wire connections for the scope display, main display, and laser in order to feed the wires through their respective holes.

My soldering skills aren't the best, but I managed. Once done, all the components were re-attached and tested. I then found out my speaker wasn't working. A quick check revealed that the wire connection had snapped....yet again... for like the tenth time....

I have mentioned it before that the BlastFX kits are amazing, but I have had a bugger of a time with wire connections snapping from simply manipulating components around the blaster. This is understandable as the wires are very tiny due to the components used, but none-the less very frustrating.

When it comes time to install everything and glue the bits-and-bobs on, I will probably use E6000 instead of superglue. That way I can probably pry off stuff to get to wires if needed.

d5d2l26.jpg

In this picture you can see the red/black wire extensions with connectors that I made that go the muzzle lighting effects. This was so I could take the blaster apart into two main parts: Barrel and Receiver, for transport.

I really want this to fit in my TK transport case lid so I don't have to lug around a big rifle case and get stared at suspiciously...

I'll have to see if this is still feasible as the barrel is very hard to slide into the receiver, and as this is simply printed plastic I don't want things cracking over time.

You can also see the battery (yellow) and at the far left, the white rectangle is the bottom ejection port cover plate and will hold the on/off switch plus the 3 mode fire selector button. (Single shot, rapid shot, stun). I will still be using the kit supplied rotary fire switch that is part of the pistol grip and replicates the MG34 selector. However, if this craps out, I have an alternate mode.

UGsVF5S.jpg

Everything is now fed through the holes, and I am GENTLY starting to re-assemble the blaster.

c1eXMqm.jpg

In earlier posts, you see how I cut out the barrel near the receiver in order for more light from the LED string to show through. After looking online I saw a video made by 3D Props (maker of my DLT) showing the lights more toward the muzzle. It looks great! Also, the spacing of the T-Tracks at the muzzle gives more hole openings. I'm not sure how he is accomplishing this with the metal support "barrel" than runs through the barrel jacket. There is no room between the barrel and barrel jacket for the LED strip. Hmmm.....?

I was considering moving mine towards the muzzle, but I would have to extend the wires, an possibly drill barrel holes again, which is a pain.

I'll just have the lights at the receiver and worry about it at another time.

I've also painted the new printed components, and have to wire in the On/off slider switch for the power. 

Edited by Helotech
spelling
  • Like 4

Some slow but steady progress.

I had to add in a few wire extensions so components could fit where I wanted them.

Attached the main display to gun. I still have to cover up the bit of circuit board you see closet to the receiver. I painted the little fake buttons with Tamiya metallic blue and orange paints for some visual interest.

I also inserted the scope display and worked out a good distance to the lenses. They have to be at an optimal distance as the lenses magnify the tiny screen image.

Just waiting for the scope display mount glue to dry.

9jG4EaY.jpg

Here is the display inserted into the gun. The little white thing to the right is a small piece of scrap plastic I used as a tab or holder to manouvre the display inside the cavity. It doesn't need to be trimmed as it won't be seen when it is buttoned up. 

And yes, once it's all put together I will be posting a video.

iOJ1EUU.jpg

• Like 1

Baby steps.

Unfortunately, work is getting in the way, so I only have time for a few small things.

Fire adjustment rotating switch has been glued into the pistol grip. I had to sand and carve a square groove for the switch to fit into.

The MG34 fire selector will be glued on top of this to blend it in. Hopefully it will then look and work like a real gun selector to go from stun, to semi, to auto fire.

DKEhe2Q.jpg

Vibrating "rumble" button glued into the grip. I had to re-solder and tape the connectors as...you guessed it... the wires snapped!

The wires just up and to the left of this button go to the trigger actuator,

Bq5UFkP.jpg

Bad picture of the trigger micro switch. It is to the far left inside grip. It was hard getting this situated so it will be activated when pulling the trigger.

d5owukQ.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome! Thanks. 

Not my cat, but just one from the YouTube video. I do have a cat, and will make sure to include him in another post just for your daughter ;)

He does look like this little kitten though

• Like 1

Updates!

I've had continuous issues with wires snapping on the speaker, rotary fire selector switch and laser. This happens with me doing minor manipulation to fit things into the blaster. I wish the connections were reinforced somehow. :6:

Anyways...

Small white plastic piece cut and fit in front of main display to hide wire connections.

cavrodc.jpg

Small rivet /buttons used as replacement hardware for grips:

4GO2xAx.jpg

Hardware installed 

BxhZFCE.jpg

Grip installed. I actually had it screwed on with the grip panels installed. After each component installation I check the wiring. It is now that I found the rotary switch did not want to switch to automatic / burst mode. I had to take everything apart and found one of the 4 pins to the rotary switch was loose. When I jiggled it all 3 fire modes worked.

I took everything off, fixed the pin, and then reinstalled everything, including gluing down the grip panels again.

Unfortunately, now only one fire mode works. I checked inside the top of the fire selector (inside the receiver) and two of the wire connections have snapped. Grrrrrr. Will be fixed...

ybtz5Hk.jpg

Grip in and screwed to receiver with more correct hardware. I also replaced the grip panels screws. These will all be painted.

During these final builds I have added minor dings or scratches to the blaster. I will be repainting where necessary, then weathering and clear coating it all.

DzVXdbg.jpg

I brought up my Tipton gun vise to help me do the final installation. It's made things easier than having the blaster flop around on my desk.

Here you can see I've installed the lens for the scope display. It's hard to make out in this photo, but I glued on a small piece of plastic to cover the main displays wire connections.

You can just make it out below and to the right of the lens. I will be repainting this as I just did a quick brush coat of flat black.

You can just make out the wire bundles in the receiver. There is just enough room to slide the main circuit board and wires inside towards the barrel.

You can also see a USB cable poking out which I will explain below:

EBWRVGx.jpg

Another view.

cL9AOqf.jpg

To get power to the blaster, I had to rig something up.

To power everything I am using a 3.7V 2000mAh battery. This has a small white connector (type?) attached to the leads.

This is connected to a Powerboost 1000 Charger (circuit board with Blue LED). Just youtube this component and the company explains what it is all about.

Both will be inserted into the receiver in space above pistol grip.

The battery is charged through a Micro USB connector from home outlet. This of course is only connected when you need to charge the battery. This way I don't have to remove the battery to charge. I just open the receiver cover and plug the system in.

The blaster main circuity board comes with simple black and red wires coming out of it.

9DxTW6J.jpg

Before discovering the Powerboost component, I originally was looking at adding a male connector to the  BlastFX black/red wires so the battery could be plugged into it. But then I would have to disconnect the battery and charge it somehow. BlastFX also provides a small sliding on / off switch so you don't have everything powered  all the time when the battery is plugged in.

In order to get power from the Powerboost to the BlastFX, I needed a USB type connector. I have a few of basic USB wires laying about (everyone got a junk drawer, right...? LOL)

After a quick google search I discovered USB cables have 4 wires : Red, Black (power) Green and White (data). You only need the power cables.

I basically removed the outer cable sheathing, exposed the wires. I then cut the green and white off and used black and red.

Scrap USB cable. I only kept the USB connector (top of photo) and cut off the mini plug.

1Gjm7Le.jpg

xGoux6M.jpg

Cable ready to go. White and green were trimmed off. The insulation from the black wire has already been removed.

bTC2ndn.jpg

When I attached everything as you see in the diagram below, I can now leave everything inside the receiver and just plug it in when required.

Once I'm done I may do another diagram like this showing where everything fits in the blaster.

Vk04qBk.png

So, being the gun guy that I am, I of course wanted the included laser to be aligned with the gun sites. 

The setup:

Laser installed in a hole I drilled in the receiver side box. Wire runs through the box to the BlastFX module.

WwNoQqy.jpg

I temporarily installed the front sight/bipod assembly and aimed the blaster down the hall leading to the kitchen. I then placed a small piece of electrical tape on the front closet door.

The gun front and back sites are actually lined up with the tape.

jQG8F2w.jpg

M5w7dSP.jpg

Aiming down the blaster, with laser on the far wall. You can see it's slightly off.

yTXKGwz.jpg

After a little fiddling I could get it to move.

eQ8LQsB.jpg

I pulled the laser out, dabbed on a couple drops of E6000 to the sides of the laser module and reinserted it into the blaster.

I then used a small tool (second hands, soldering clamp with small alligator clips?) to grip the laser and manipulate it until the laser was aligned with the blaster sites.

This is the tool resting on the receiver.

ZrUXJU1.jpg

Alligator clip holding the laser in position while glue dries. The laser module sticks out of the blaster by about 1/8"

uzQO4lt.jpg

A little better...

RE6n9yu.jpg

One more nudge and pretty close!

Now at least my TK will hit those damn rebels and and avoid those "Stormtroopers always miss" jokes! :Laser:

sokeq8x.jpg

Last little bit was me trying to sort out the LED laser barrel strip.

This is the strip hanging out of the opening I cut in the barrel.

The group of red / black wires lead to the LED module in the barrel tip (inside the flash cone) that produces muzzle flash. These were cleaned up into a tight bundle after this pic was taken by wrapping electrical tape down the length.

AcZ2SVL.jpg

I've seen people online insert acrylic rods into the barrels that make their LED effects "glow" better somehow when they activate. Not sure glow is the right term. Their lighting just seems more....gooder. LOL

I can't get acrylic rod here, and wouldn't have room to insert it into the barrel. So to maybe help elevate the effects of my LED strip I am going to try a section of plastic tubing.

I couldn't get a small enough outside diameter to fit inside the barrel tube. This roll is 1 1/4" outside diameter. I had to cut about an 8" length of a big roll. Then I sliced about 1/2 " lengthwise from this piece (end to end). It retained it's semi-circle shape and I could still squeeze it into the barrel in a tube shape. 

I then sprayed it on the inside and outside with window frosting spray from a rattle can. This would help defuse the LED lighting so it wouldn't be point's of light inside the barrel. More of a soft glow.

I had a video for this, but can't upload it. I use IMGUR for my picture uploading, and can't figure out how to insert a video to that site.

Are we even allowed to insert video into forum posts? I may have to upload to youtube then provide a link. We'll see, as I would really like to upload a video of the final blaster.

vFztIaI.jpg

That's all for now!

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work done.

Tubing installed in the blaster.

bLdD9iy.jpg

T-Tracks from Wannawanga trimmed and installed.

I just used the DLT Blaster images and tried to replicate the correct angle and small groove the wire sits in:

OsALE0V.jpg

ROHrJdN.jpg

Original and trimmed length.

FmqssYs.jpg

Wire I am using for the t-tracks. It is "Lock-wire" used on Jet airplane engines to prevent bolts from loosening. Being a former aircraft technician and learning skills like lockwiring has it's perks... ;)

It's even a suitable dark grey colour that won't need to be painted.

aqvTLVZ.jpg

T-tracks glued on with E-6000. Lockwire is then tightly wrapped and secured using what we call a pig-tail twist.

This was trimmed then tucked away out of sight on the bottom of the barrel shroud.

Qb53S06.jpg

hwpHAbs.jpg

Front and rear barrel sections with everything installed.

nDOECBO.jpg

S3u6FD9.jpg

It was at this point I remembered I had to replace the barrel locking lever piece that fits in this groove below the circle. I lost it at some point during my move across country...

You can also see the laser poking out of the side box (bass piece.) I just painted the outside of it black.

GZq0dtf.jpg

Scrap plastic cut and trimmed and sanded to fit.

VZmC2cP.jpg

Installed but not glued in yet. The front portion (towards left of picture) has been trimmed and rounded slightly to match reference pics. 

I also cut some grooves at the front that provide grippy texture.

jNYaKJ8.jpg

That's it for now!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

At long last it is done!!!! :happyandcheerfulbirthday:

I finally managed to grab some pics and videos of the final build. Youtube link to 4 videos will be posted at the bottom of this post (hopefully it works...).

One of the videos has my commentary. Other ones are just showing the blaster and me pew-pewing with it, as well as the lighting effects of the barrel in a darkened room.

Please bare in mind I am not a photographer or videographer, so be kind. :)

I touched up some of the paint from doing the final build steps. I then clear coated everything in a Sem-gloss paint from a rattle can. This ended up being to shiny, so I went over everything again with Tamiya model paint dull coat. Everything except the shiny rings between the butt and receiver, and the butt itself. 

Enjoy...

Over all shot. As you can tell, I am using the gun vise and not using the blaster bi-pod to support it. I still don't trust the bipod due to the cracking issues I had before.  Each leg seems to flex when I tried to rest the blaster on them.

v9jFsSa.jpg

vVTaLec.jpg

zbs57qS.jpg

bedTyZh.jpg

aF7qKtV.jpg

Loving that side box paint job!

BtUJRiz.jpg

hyOkmav.jpg

bEh8BZl.jpg

i6xUv3g.jpg

My scratch built display details, as well as the fully functioning fire selector switch.

JXLMuuS.jpg

Main and scope displays in the modes that I like, as viewed by a gunner. There are several different options for each display.

dDXVsKw.jpg

Details of the bottom barrel T-track wires and pigtails. Of course, once all this was done I then found a new to me screen grab pic that of course shows the wires not at the end of the t-tracks, but more away from the edges. 

You can see the barrel wiring through one of the holes.

7LiJgYp.jpg

Small sticky sided velcro strips that are required to hold the bipod up in retracted position. They can't be seen when the bipod is swung up.

KFxzB7y.jpg

yhuQRH8.jpg

Velcro on the "Bipod Hold open knubbly conical bolt device". That is my official name for it...

VQqu13h.jpg

Underside of the receiver. The opening is where the main display would normally be. Not very useful or ergonomic for a DLT gunner checking on his ammo count...

That is why I made my own.

This is a separate panel that you can replace with another provided panel with no holes in case you aren't installing a Blast-FX.

Just forward of the opening you see the sliding ON / OFF switch for main power.

Forward of this is the button that you press momentarily to cycle fire modes (as opposed to using the grip circular switch). Or you can hold it down to enter the Blast-FX set-up mode, that, in conjunction with the trigger, allows you to change sound and lighting options. The main circuit board memory stick of the system has sounds for most weapons used in the SW universe, as well as ship sounds!  It is funny having a blaster that emits the sound of a TIE fighter or the Millennium Falcon each time you press the trigger. LOL

8yWkmB8.jpg

Internal wiring and battery compartment with the receiver cover lifted up. 

You can see my resin 3D printed cocking handle. The screw did not come out when I started unscrewing the handle for transport. One last thing to fix.

ACePUKe.jpg

Video Link:

I made a playlist with 4 videos. Maybe was a mistake?

Anywhoooooo, if you click on the link all 4 will play back to back.  Just fast forward them. sorry.

My longer video with commentary is the last one.

One or two of my pups show their faces :)

• Like 3

Thanks Jonas! Glad you like it.

Trust me, I understand being busy. This took almost 2 years to finish, but it was worth it.

The kit is great, but if I had to do it again I would spend the money on one of those new Denix MG-34's and just add the blaster details. Way less headache LOL

Fortunately / Unfortunately, now that I have this project out of the way it means I now have to start on my new metal E-11 (with Blast-FX :56pullhair:) and my Boba build. 

I am such an idiot....

Can't wait to see your build,

• Like 1