Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?

After a lot of trolling and research, I'm thinking of getting an FX Lite and an MR CE, hopefully ready for Halloween, and will have the better part of a year to mod it out so I can troop troop troop at the Dragon*Con parade =D

My only concern... I'm 5'6", 145 pounds (muscular build).. will the armor potentially look over-sized for my shorter stature? I've wanted to be a stormtrooper for years (only now do I finally have the money), but I don't wanna look like an undersized fool in the uniform. Any other shorties have issues/suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the FISD Eddy.

You'll need to trim the thighs, chest, and shins for starters. Luckily you can cut a more correct shape on the thighs to match more accurate armor. Also take a look at the chest mod here:

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Looks like I'll be investing in a hobby iron! Thanks for the info, my friend. This is gonna be some fun!

SuperTrooper said:

Welcome to the FISD Eddy.

You'll need to trim the thighs, chest, and shins for starters. Luckily you can cut a more correct shape on the thighs to match more accurate armor. Also take a look at the chest mod here:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

If you have the extra cash and a little ambition, an AP or TE2 kit would fit you better to start with. Otherwise, as Terrell says you can certainly make the FX work, just be ready to do some trimming to fit it correctly to your frame and you'll be good to go!

Don't forget to post progress pix - it's always great to see a build thread :)

MarmaladeBoy said:
After a lot of trolling and research, I'm thinking of getting an FX Lite and an MR CE, hopefully ready for Halloween, and will have the better part of a year to mod it out so I can troop troop troop at the Dragon*Con parade =D

My only concern... I'm 5'6", 145 pounds (muscular build).. will the armor potentially look over-sized for my shorter stature? I've wanted to be a stormtrooper for years (only now do I finally have the money), but I don't wanna look like an undersized fool in the uniform. Any other shorties have issues/suggestions? Thanks!

Oh...I have been waiting for someone else to post this!!! Just so you know I am only 5'3 and I sport a FX suit with a RT helmet...I think this is the first helmet dont know but I got it off ebay last year. I actually had to trim every single part of the FX suit and I took about 2 to 3 inches off of some parts...Yes every single part except the handplates.

Here is a pic of me this past March...

--------------

The stormy on my left is about 5'9 and the Scout behind me is 6'3 ...I am wearing those airlift heels to make me about 5'5. I hope that helps you out on your build!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I'll say now that's the best trimmed FX suit I've ever seen on someone your size. Hands down. I would not have believed if I didn't see the pix. Talk about learning something new every day.

Aloha!

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'd like to buy a more expensive suit, I have the money... but I'm CHEEEEAP! I only have limited experience in fashioning costumes, but I'm willing to learn, so I think it will work out with the FX. WetOkole, you look great! You give me a lot of faith that this could turn out really cool. Thanks guys!!

• 4 weeks later...
emrod38 said:
i'm 5'5 around 135lbs. i just ordered an fx kit. i've been searching the internet for tips on trimming the suit. i was also wondering if the fx helm, if assembled, would it look to big sitting on my shoulders? thanks in advanced.

Martin

Look no further for armour building tips, all that you need is right here on the FISD. :)

The FX lid is BIG regardless of how tall you are, thats why most folk are going for the MR CE

as a cheap and viable alternative.

Here's a couple of comparison shots from starwarshelmets.com

---------------

Hope this helps mate :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

well the bobble head is the general compliant about FX helmets, so there is a chance you will. Regardless, at least you have some armor, i'm still saving up! I already have $100 towards it! yay approximately 1/11 (maybe 1/9) of the way there!

PM Sent with contact info.

I'm 6'-1" and it's pretty close if I'm bobble headed or not.

are you talking about the CE helmet?

just curious how much smaller is the AP helmet compared to the FX one and the CE helmet?

how much does the AP helmet sell for?

are you talking about the CE helmet?

just curious how much smaller is the AP helmet compared to the FX one and the CE helmet?

how much does the AP helmet sell for?

The AP is a bit smaller than the CE. I don't have any comparison shots. I use the CE and it fits me great both on the head and it's proportionate to the rest of my bodu in armor. The AP is a wee bit too small for my build. If you have broad shoulders I would consider something other than AP at least (maybe TE2 or TM?).

cranky said:
The AP is a bit smaller than the CE. I don't have any comparison shots. I use the CE and it fits me great both on the head and it's proportionate to the rest of my bodu in armor. The AP is a wee bit too small for my build. If you have broad shoulders I would consider something other than AP at least (maybe TE2 or TM?).

I found a cool link on all the comparisons for the helmets

-------------

they all seem about slightly the same size, i can imagine the FX helm being the largest.

I noticed all the other ones but the MR CE is perfectly symmetrical

is the asymmetrical look something people tend to shoot for??

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My experience is that it's not what the majority go for. I started in the school of idealized armor (i.e. symmetrical helmet), but have since moved on to go for the more screen accurate look.

It all comes down to people tastes really. Both is openly accepted at least. :-) I just think now, that the asynnetry gives the face of the helmet a little more character.

I've owned and wore three TE2's, an FX, and an AP. I've tried on an RT and an ANHv2, and I've seen an MRCE in person. The only bucket I haven't held in my hands is a TM.

In general the AP & TE2 are the same size. The RT is a bit bigger overall, and the ANHv2 between the RT & the FX. If you use the search feature you can find the comparison thread I created for ANHv2-AP-TE2.

As for what "fits" much has to do with the pull, how it's assembled, and how it's trimmed. Lining up the TE2s, AP, and RT the "largest" and "smallest" was the TE2 in terms of being able to put them on. See what I mean? :)

As has been said over and over, it all comes down to your particular sense of aesthetic. And, how well you get it to match the rest of your suit. A well done MRCE will look better than a crappily built AP, etc.