Centurion questions

TK64287

Hi there,

I currently have built a set of RS Props Stormtrooper ESB armour that has passed 501st clearance to basic. I would like to push this up to level 3 centurion, but convert the entire popper based trapping system to as replica screen accurate as possible.

I have a few questions before I take the jump and start getting everything I need together, and I hope you guys can help.

1- Is there a definitive list of accurate materials for centurion? For example, exact brand of poppers, and split rivets used for the 1980 ESB film.

2- A tutorial in specific measurements for part placement? (I.e. bracket connectors spacing)

3- Brand of paint used to cover side rivets

4- Source images of these parts in use

Any help would be appreciated, really hope to get this underway.

Cheers,

James

7 minutes ago, TK64287 said:

as replica screen accurate as possible.

Hey Jame and welcome to FISD:salute: Great to hear you are aming for Centurion and for your quest for total screen accuracy:duim:

You should start here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/145-the-replica-section/

8 hours ago, TK64287 said:

Hi there,

I currently have built a set of RS Props Stormtrooper ESB armour that has passed 501st clearance to basic. I would like to push this up to level 3 centurion, but convert the entire popper based trapping system to as replica screen accurate as possible.

I have a few questions before I take the jump and start getting everything I need together, and I hope you guys can help.

1- Is there a definitive list of accurate materials for centurion? For example, exact brand of poppers, and split rivets used for the 1980 ESB film.

2- A tutorial in specific measurements for part placement? (I.e. bracket connectors spacing)

Cheers,

James

Firstly, one of us!

Secondly, keep in mind that the materials used have no bearing on centurion status: its all about the fit, and outward appearance.

The centurion info can be had in the Advanced tactics section.  EI would be your first step, as you need to meet that requirement on the way to Centurion,

There is a photo list as examples and a checklist with all the required upgrades from basic approval.

As mentioned, the replica section would have more nitty gritty deets about exact brands from the films, spacings, etc., as well as ESB e-11 versions.

Presuming you are the size and shape of a typical stormtrooper with no shims or properly done shims in the middle, the quest is easy for centurion. 

Have fun!

Welcome, James, and fantastic to hear that you are headed for Centurion!  Some great advice here so far, but at this point I would recommend getting Legion access here on the FISD.  It will give you a few new areas to explore, and is a requirement before proceeding to level 2.  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/16-501st-trooper-status-requests-include-link-to-your-501st-profile-in-your-request/

On 12/6/2018 at 6:27 AM, TK64287 said:

Cheers,

James

ESB!!!  Yay, another one of us!  Glad to hear you're going for Centurion, too!  

Quick responses to your questions that I know or sort of know the answer to:

1- This post has a list of TK supplies, and those for Centurion are marked in **:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

As mentioned above, the brand does not matter- it's how it looks. So, so long as the rivets are the correct size, and painted white, you're Centurion-ready.  I have no idea if the original brands are available, though if anyone would know, it would be this forum.   I found my rivets at a local independent hardware store.  Buy extras and save yourself a trip just in case.  

2- The rivets are spaced as so: 

Three rivets, approximately 5/16"(8mm) diameter, are present on the left side of the abdomen armor.

Note: The original rivets used for the TK armor were bifurcated rivets or split rivets. (Doesn't specify brand, but bifurcated or split rivets are best)

Rivets are equally spaced along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.

The heads are rounded or domed. (No paperclip brads)

Due to slight variations in different armors, and mods for individual sizing, there's not set distance for the rivets to be apart, just evenly spaced.  I measured the whole kidney piece, marked it out in three even pieces, 10mm in, and then matched those marks on the ab.  

A note about the RS bracket system- you really should reinforce it with nylon snap plates and connections. This will be entirely internal, and have no effect on the look or accuracy of the armor, but it will save you headache down the line.  The RS brackets have a habit of pulling through the armor and cracking/snapping it, and requiring repair.  By adding a secondary strapping system, you alleviate the stress on the chest return edge, but maintain the screen-accurate bracket, which you obviously want.  Also I'd reinforce the chest in the lower arm/point area, as I've seen it crack on three different RS kits on three very different sized people- it's just a known weak spot.  (All armors have their issues- they're just different issues from each other).  

3- I used Testors in white, and it's held up well.  You want a white that's close to your armor color, so it doesn't stand out.  Exactly patching isn't required, but personally I think as long as it's close, the naked eye can't tell, let alone from a normal distance and the general public will never even notice the rivets in the first place.  this post has the listings of the different colors for the different brands: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/ (#34 specifically)

4- The Centurion request posts have great close ups of all the parts in question for Centurion.  Find the approved threads, and check out what they did.  

Hope that was helpful!