HOWTO: Clean Up FX Armor[FX*]

stevofett

I've had my FX armor for 8 years, and over that time its had its share of dings, scratches, and most noticeably, black scuff marks from either my painted blaster or from my boots being stored too close to the armor and rubbing up against it. There's also a few spots of velcro glue from my first attempt at putting the armor together.

Wanting to give my armor an overhaul, I came across a wonder plastic cleaner----paint thinner. It's still sold for cheap in the old fashioned large metal container. It goes without saying to use this stuff in a well ventilated area and not to use it on painted armor, and it's best to try it on an inconspicuous area first.

I used paint thinner and a soft cotton cloth to clean up all my armor and never did I see it react with, nor soften, the ABS plastic that the FX is made of. It did not harm the plastic even when using generous amounts of thinner on the cloth and rubbing the same area vigorously. It worked wonders at removing the glue, black scuff marks, and most if not all other blemishes. It will not repair scratches, but if your scratches have accumulated dirt/grime, the thinner will clean it up. The thinner worked so great, my armor is very shiny again.

Just wanted to pass this along to everyone!

Steve

Sounds like you've given your armour a new lease of life :)

What I would say though, anybody thinking about doing the same should ALWAYS test what

they intend to use on a piece of scrap or the back of the armour some place out of sight

as some thinners out there can be a wee bit nasty, especially some Acetone based products :angry:

I use a "Magic Eraser" by Mister Claen, and then follow it up with a coat of car wax. I was able to even get off small traces of Plastic Welder using it. Don't use it on you kids tattoo's though! It will remove skin as well a the tattoo. :blush: The car wax will cut down and almost eliminate the amount of marks you get on the armor in the future. Hold on tight, though, the armor will be slippery!

Personally I like the small scuff marks I think it makes the armor more authentic. I made it a point to start adding them to my armor

I like them as well. I haven't cleaned my armor for over a year now. I think leaving the little scuff marks and scratches give the armor a more used/battle worn look. Great suggestion though Steve. If I decide to give my armor a bath I might have to try this out minus anything that has acetone in it.

Yes, always test on a scrap piece of ABS or on the inside of the armor. As others said, definitely do not use acetone or nail polish remover (aka acetone) or GoofOff. Those will take the finish off!

After 8 years of crud build up I wanted the new look again--and to have it match my new TE2!! (Thanks Tony and Mike!!!) The main thing I wanted to clean up was velcro glue. Remember the original crappy velcro that came with the FX kit? At the time I didn't know better, didn't know about the industrial stuff, so I was decked out with the crap-cro. And, ripping it out just left the glue behind. Now the glue can be safely removed with thinner. Yes!!

I use a "Magic Eraser" by Mister Claen, and then follow it up with a coat of car wax. I was able to even get off small traces of Plastic Welder using it. Don't use it on you kids tattoo's though! It will remove skin as well a the tattoo. :blush: The car wax will cut down and almost eliminate the amount of marks you get on the armor in the future. Hold on tight, though, the armor will be slippery!

I keep a couple of the "Magic Eraser" pads in my tote for those little touch ups in the field.

Have to look good for Lord Vader