Jump to content
1nfern0

Starting a build at long last in Portland, OR

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 1nfern0 said:

This is fantastic!! I feel like I have a whole squad behind me to help with this:D

Yes, definitely going for Centurion for several reasons, but mostly because I am a compulsive perfectionist. (I have an Imperial Officer uniform that I've been sitting on for over two years because it just wasn't right and needed tweaking, and while it's still not done, I finally managed to force myself to submit for approval)

I'll be taking my time and triple checking everything with you guys before doing anything rash. As I think most newbs are, I am slightly terrified of cutting/breaking/trimming anything to the point of ruining it - I can always get replacement parts from RS if I need to (I'd rather not though) - so I'll be VERY careful.

Next stop will be pouring over ukswraith's and Wooks' threads, thanks again everyone!
 

Congrats on your officer approval and welcome to Cloud City Garrison!    Make sure to check our event schedule on the forums and I hope to see you at a troop in the near future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daryldoak said:

Congrats on your officer approval and welcome to Cloud City Garrison!    Make sure to check our event schedule on the forums and I hope to see you at a troop in the near future.

Thanks Daryl! Health hasn't been too good the past couple of months, so haven't left the house much (ongoing thing, just got a little worse with holiday stress :unsure: ), but I'll be coming out to meet everyone as soon as I can :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1nfern0 said:

Thanks Daryl! Health hasn't been too good the past couple of months, so haven't left the house much (ongoing thing, just got a little worse with holiday stress :unsure: ), but I'll be coming out to meet everyone as soon as I can :)

Totally understandable, definitely the first priority is to take care of yourself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, 1nfern0 said:

This is fantastic!! I feel like I have a whole squad behind me to help with this:D

Yes, definitely going for Centurion for several reasons, but mostly because I am a compulsive perfectionist. (I have an Imperial Officer uniform that I've been sitting on for over two years because it just wasn't right and needed tweaking, and while it's still not done, I finally managed to force myself to submit for approval)

I'll be taking my time and triple checking everything with you guys before doing anything rash. As I think most newbs are, I am slightly terrified of cutting/breaking/trimming anything to the point of ruining it - I can always get replacement parts from RS if I need to (I'd rather not though) - so I'll be VERY careful.

Next stop will be pouring over ukswraith's and Wooks' threads, thanks again everyone!
 

I am just starting my build and am going for centurion as well.  Let’s do this!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's been a long six months of tutorials (special thanks to @ukswrath) and forums, but I got my first troop in with my ID costume and went to an armor party a couple of weeks ago, and I'm feeling very encouraged!!!
 

First off, over Christmas and my birthday in February, I managed to pick up a pair of boots and a holster!
 

BV1oN6s.jpg
toFyWe0.jpg

Edited by 1nfern0
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and, I've started trimming the forearms.


Left one is pretty much sorted and ready for sanding and gluing, but the right kept giving me pause since the inner piece was nearly inch longer than the outer. After watching many videos and reading many forums, it seems like there is no one answer, so I matched the reference and lined up everything as best as I could from the top, marked it out to try to match Locitus' RS reference pictures, and cut it like so.

Does this look correctish and ready to finish/coverstrip?
999307231_right01.JPG.fa46e6ca2f69f895051e3f157a7a5686.JPG769159466_right02.JPG.9d873a550cb31aeae2036e265334c4d7.JPG


Also, apparently I have used my entire 512kb attachment allocation... How do people usually cope with this for threads with lots of pics?

Thanks everybody!!

 

Edited by 1nfern0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 1nfern0 said:

 

Also, apparently I have used my entire 512kb attachment allocation... How do people usually cope with this for threads with lots of pics?

 

Most people store their photos on a hosting site, like imgur or Flickr, and link to them here so they appear inline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could make a suggestion before gluing the cover strips on I would trim down the tops as seen below.  The reason is that those return edges can cut into your arms while bending them.

 

CwOW6fH.jpg?1

 

Here are a couple of pics of screen used armor which will give you a better idea:

 

5m6nLZv.jpg?1   WIWjGa1.jpg

 

If you decide to do this, I would highly recommend sizing them again afterward to make sure the openings are not too wide, which will make them too loose.

 

"Also, apparently I have used my entire 512kb attachment allocation... How do people usually cope with this for threads with lots of pics"?

 

I use Imgur.  Free, easy to use and unlimited photo sharing capabilities!  Here is a tutorial that may help:

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, daryldoak said:

Most people store their photos on a hosting site, like imgur or Flickr, and link to them here so they appear inline. 

Ah, that makes more sense! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

If I could make a suggestion before gluing the cover strips on I would trim down the tops as seen below.  The reason is that those return edges can cut into your arms while bending them.

 

CwOW6fH.jpg?1

 

Here are a couple of pics of screen used armor which will give you a better idea:

 

5m6nLZv.jpg?1   WIWjGa1.jpg

 

If you decide to do this, I would highly recommend sizing them again afterward to make sure the openings are not too wide, which will make them too loose.

 

"Also, apparently I have used my entire 512kb attachment allocation... How do people usually cope with this for threads with lots of pics"?

 

I use Imgur.  Free, easy to use and unlimited photo sharing capabilities!  Here is a tutorial that may help:

 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/42381-howto-post-images-in-threads-using-imgur-easy/

 

 

Ok, cool. So leave some return edge on the outer, and taper toward removing all in the inner section?

Thank you for the info! I'll plot out cut lines and post them before I go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New cut lines for the forearms. Do these look better? I know they don't need any return edge for centurion, but I think a little bit looks nice.

 

Left:
L56lY8m.jpg
DD1sx4v.jpg

Right:
ytlskoe.jpg
BTp1g97.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elbow side minimal return edge. Wrist side absolutely no return edge. Keep up the good work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After you wear this armor you will start to understand why we take off as much as return edge as we can! If you are needing some help we are having an armor party here in Portland on the 20th. We’d love to help you get this closer to being ready for submission.

Here are the details from our forum:

https://www.cloudcitygarrison.com/forum/index.php?topic=12617

I look forward to assisting in making your dream a reality!


Jim Moser
TK50899

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still dealing with health issues so haven’t made as much progress this summer as I was hoping.


I did get to all of the armor parties and they were a big help (not to mention super fun!), thanks @MoSc0ut!

16nRlUi.jpg

 

It was great to meet you and Liam and find out that you guys live down the street! I’ll definitely be messaging you soon to beg for help :D

 

Trimming is close to done now for nearly all of the armor except for the legs, getting cover strips cut for all four arm pieces while watching Monday night football, and just about ready to glue them together now.

 

AvLYBTP.jpg

 

Before I do, I’m curious to hear people’s opinions about cover strips that smooth out the differences between pieces (as below), as opposed to the more screen accurate straight across edges... To bevel or not to bevel?

GAHVtK1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team build, love this. As for the forearms here's the movie armor, may help you decide. 

 

gallery_12157_59_74335b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to say, “Hey I recognize that guy!”

It was great meeting you to and I’m sure we’ll see a lot of each other in the coming years!

If you get stuck I’m just a stones throw away!


Jim Moser
TK50899

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Team build, love this. As for the forearms here's the movie armor, may help you decide. 

 

gallery_12157_59_74335b.jpg

Thank you, I’ll just keep following the reference!! On to gluing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MoSc0ut said:

I was going to say, “Hey I recognize that guy!”

It was great meeting you to and I’m sure we’ll see a lot of each other in the coming years!

If you get stuck I’m just a stones throw away!


Jim Moser
TK50899

Thank you Jim! I’ll be looking at doing some hot water bathing for my shoulders, and maybe kidney and butt plates soon. Might need your help for this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank you Jim! I’ll be looking at doing some hot water bathing for my shoulders, and maybe kidney and butt plates soon. Might need your help for this.


I’ve got a big canning pot that works great for this!


Jim Moser
TK50899

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoSc0ut said:

 


I’ve got a big canning pot that works great for this!


Jim Moser
TK50899

 

That would be fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it’s been a few months, but I’ve managed to get a bit more done. Huge thanks to you @MoSc0ut! I really appreciate your help with everything so far.

 

The big challenge for me was just figuring out where to trim everything to, and getting over the fear of cutting something wrong! With continuing to pour over all of the ref, Jim’s help, and the new TK build YouTube tutorial series from Rob at RS Propmaster’s, I feel like I have a good picture of where I’m going now.

 

Spent a nice afternoon just before Christmas at @MoSc0ut’s house boiling armor, and got the shoulder bells widened out to fit. 
TnUv4Rq.jpg
 

After showing me how, Jim was kind enough to let me take home his canning pot so I could make my kidney, butt, and ab plates fit a little bit better. 
 

After that, I finished trimming and gluing the arms and biceps.

TLJART7.jpg
 

1oL5jNb.jpg
CjkEqJv.jpg

Next, I started trimming the shoulder bells that we’d shaped, but I’m a little worried that I trimmed them back too much in an effort to get them properly rounded, so I set them aside for now...

 

Following the RS YouTube series, I next finished up trimming and sanding the torso pieces, got my 3mm drill bit, and drilled the holes and installed the brackets for the strapping.
AoAiRrQ.jpg


Once I had the brackets installed, I had to do a test fit with tape to make sure everything lined up :D Pretty happy with it so far!

tcgnkqo.jpg

 

I thought it was interesting that RS puts the two outside top brackets of the kidney plate right in the bend where the return edge meets the outer face to minimize bending... 
 

Now, working on cutting/gluing some spare bits of abs to the return edges for reenforcement as I have been advised to do by several different troopers!

G5oXSjc.jpg


Next up, getting the torso strapping sorted! Working on deciding how to approach the kidney to ab strapping in a more robust way than the screen accurate webbing. I’ve seen some good ideas so far from heavy duty strips of rubber to thicker more immobile webbing, but suggestions are more than welcome! I have some nice scrap leather lying around so was even debating using that.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...