Bee's first build (ANH Stunt) thread

Bee_24

Hi folks, so I bought ANH Stunt armour and I'm very excited to get started. 

But my problem is that I am very skinny. 181cm 60kg (5' 11" and 132 lbs) and I have no idea how to start with building, because I have no clue how to trim all the pieces for my proportions. 

I watched many YouTube vids, so I have rough idea how to build the armour, but I have no idea how to trim it properly to fit my body. I will post some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

28643071_2018639544817382_467748050_o.jpg

35786369_2152464568101545_7679670321481252864_n.jpg

35796030_2152463491434986_3459159285739552768_n.jpg

35842392_2152591261422209_4051138068416036864_n.jpg

Hmmm I had the complete opposite issue so I’m not much help. Who is the maker of the armor? My only suggestion would be is to make it smaller where it looks good then pack the inside with foam to keep it all in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Frank said about foam and only a good thing to have slender arms, makes it ”easier” to  prevent gaps between shoulder and chest/backplate:duim: The original actors weren’t exactly buff dudes:smiley-sw013:

You can trim down the pieces, such as the biceps, and will then join them using the cover strip method.  You should be able to remove a decent amount of gap and then use foam to keep the parts in place or to fill in the gaps completely, as Frank suggested. If you would prefer not to attach lots of foam to your armor, then perhaps you could wear padding beneath your under suit.  

Also, I noticed the pauldron. Going to build a sandy or sticking to the clean white armor? 

Hi and grats on your kit! :) Who is the maker of your armor? I think that with some trimming combined with foam padding inside your armor, you should be able to end up with a very good result!:duim:

Well, I guess I will have to look up this foam method. I'm just afraid I would burn inside from heat. :D Jesus I'm so scared of cutting and trimming my armour.

That pauldron isn't mine, I just ordered it for one guy. I'm not sandy-type of guy, I like it clean, shiny white, conquering the space!

And my kit is from TKUK, 2018 version.

Oh, and one question about trimming. Let's say I trim the biceps to fit my arm. There are flat surface with edges on both sides. When I trim it to fit me, these would be gone. Would it be still 501st acceptable if I used cover strip to hide that? (I don't know if you get what I mean, so I made a quick pictures to show)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Welcome, Martin. 

Don't be too concerned about your slim size. Here’s a link to a friend of mine in the UKG - he reached Expert Infantry with his armour and he’s around 5kg lighter than you. 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43754-tk-89135-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-rwa-792/

And remember, rather than going for screen accurate sizes across the kit, TKUK appear to oversize certain parts to fit a wider range of body shapes/sizes, leaving the wearer to adjust to suit. This means that some of the parts you have received will be bigger than other builds you might be looking at here on FISD. This means you’ll have to cut down certain pieces to fit your frame. 

You might be wise to check out some other builds from this supplier for hints and tips (such as correcting the shape of the ammo belt). ;)

Best of luck with your build. :duim:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bee_24 said:

Well, I guess I will have to look up this foam method. I'm just afraid I would burn inside from heat.

I guess you know, but just to make sure, you don't have to pad the whole interior of your armor with foam. You just have to add a few squares of foam padding at key places to help your armor stay in place. Like this, most of you body will still be able to breath properly. And it's always a bit hot in there anyways... you'll get used to it! :P

• Like 1

The flat surfaces on your biceps are mostly return edges and are there to help you trim and fit pieces to make them work for you. The seams between the two pieces are going to be hidden by cover strips that will also join them together. You can also include a strip on the inside for added security. E-6000 adhesive is also highly recommended because you can pull it apart, carefully, if adjustments are needed. If needed you could trim and remove the flat areas completely. When you add the cover strip, having a good set of clamps, and even rare earth magnets, will help hold it all together and the plastic should be flexible enough to bend and be held in place between an inner and outer strip. So you definitely have room to work with.

For trimming I recommend using tape to hold the parts together at different lengths to find the fit that's right for you. Mark the edges at the tops and bottoms, roughly at a center point  where the two halves meet. Then draw a line between the marks once you take them a part. This will give a guide for your cut. Once the cut is made they should mate back together without all the excess and can be joined with your cover strip. Easy way for clean trimming is to take a straight razor and score your line, and then flex the plastic. Should cause it to snap cleanly at the line. 

I also noticed your bucket is a three piece design and should be exactly like the NE armor bucket. May be a bit of a pain to build in comparison to the more traditional two piece. All comes down to personal choice.

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

friend of mine in the UKG - he reached Expert Infantry

Man that is awesome and he looks great! I'm glad to see another slim comrade who looks sick. :)

@SgtGarand thanks for your advice sir. I'm following couple vids on YT, one of them is https://youtu.be/WMrAQ5P5dqU?t=9m47s who does what you described I think. Yea, I will use E6000 because the seller recommended it to me and other guys too. I also ordered neodymium magnets, they should help a lot.

Thank you for the bucket topic, I'll definitely study that.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I will have to look up this foam method. I'm just afraid I would burn inside from heat. Jesus I'm so scared of cutting and trimming my armour.

That pauldron isn't mine, I just ordered it for one guy. I'm not sandy-type of guy, I like it clean, shiny white, conquering the space!

And my kit is from TKUK, 2018 version.

Nobody was judging, go be sandy if you want. We will still accept you. Lol

6 hours ago, Bee_24 said:

:D Jesus I'm so scared of cutting and trimming my armour.

Yeah, I was terrified of making a mistake while trimming my armour.  Take your time, measure twice and cut once, after you’ve read a couple threads describing the step you’re working on. ;)

No worries Martin, 

Like most have said you need to trim your biceps a bit.

No worries about trimming or cutting your armor we've all had that exact anxiety but a couple deep breaths and some measuring and you'll be fine. Trust us we become the largest detachment for a reason.

On your Biceps the two raised piece that butt up against each other should measure 5/8 of an in or just shy of 16mm if my conversion is correct. 

Look at the amount I have to trim on the bicep here 

7kJixP6.jpg

See how much I measured out to trim off here. Everything on the left gets trimmed off! 

3WBK9j4.jpg

This is whats left after trimming! 

kn41FbJ.jpg

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, honestly its why we're here! 

And if I may add something to the lots of excellent information my comrades have already posted, when trimming, going slowly by removing less than what is needed many times is way better than removing all (and possibly too much) at once. Even if you find that you have some skinny limbs and are sure that you'll need to remove a lot from the edges, take it one cut at a time. Make small, conservative measurements, cut, and then try it on yourself. You'll see, sometimes, even by removing less than what you initially thought, you get some way better results than what you expected. And that saves you from removing too much. :)

Edited by hollowbodies

Thanks for your advices guys. I've been reading through those build threads, but I can't find anywhere how to pad foam under armor :( Sorry if that's dumb thing, I just have no idea how it should look. Could anybody provide some info please? 

No such thing as a dumb question here. We've all been at the beginning and had to ask or figure things out on our own. So ask away :duim:

Basically you just need soft foam and then glue some to the inside where needed to make a tighter fit to keep pieces from shifting out of place while you are trooping. If you browse the EIB/Centurion request threads you will see some troopers with foam in the forearms.

The easiest method for me was to use insulation foam that already has adhesive on one side. Usually found in hardware stores to insulate window and door frames. 

Also, don't be afraid to post progress pictures. That will give all of us a better idea of what's going on and where you are at in your build so that we can offer tips or suggestions along the way. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your advices guys. I've been reading through those build threads, but I can't find anywhere how to pad foam under armor Sorry if that's dumb thing, I just have no idea how it should look. Could anybody provide some info please? 

I asked, and still do ask some pretty odd questions. It’s all good. As for foam.... I went to a local craft shop (Joanne’s) and got seat padding. They have different thicknesses, just glue or Velcro it where you need it.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Bee_24 said:

I just have no idea how it should look. Could anybody provide some info please? 

It`s just the outside that counts so my advise would be to look at approved Centurions  here to see how it all should look and then put the foam were it needs to be as Frank suggested:salute:

You can use Velcro to hold foam padding inside you armor (instead of using glue directly on armor/foam). Like this, you can always remove the foam if you don't need it, or you can also change the foam piece if you need a bigger one, for example. 

And as Daniel said, look at some overall photos and try to get that look while your pieces are padded. You might need to put foam at the top and at the bottom of some pieces so that they look even, as some other pieces might just need some padding in the middle or on one side, for example. Try it on yourself while holding the foam using some tape, and by trial and error you'll find what lookas the best in the end!  

Edited by hollowbodies
  • Like 2