LTM's AM TK ANH build

LTM

27 minutes ago, LTM said:

Looking at the cod rivet, I assume to trim the rivet down to the top of the snap prior to using the chisel (I would think so, but better to ask first)?

WOH8YV7.jpg

wrong way captain!, you wont have a snap on the cod piece.  Punch a hole through your webbing or elastic and run the rivet through the ABS, webbing/elastic than the washer before bending the prongs down.

14 minutes ago, StrmTRPR85 said:

wrong way captain!, you wont have a snap on the cod piece.  Punch a hole through your webbing or elastic and run the rivet through the ABS, webbing/elastic than the washer before bending the prongs down.

Hmmm, is that the canon connection? I have been using Tony's build of the AM 1.0 armor, on the first page is the cod with a snap.

15 minutes ago, LTM said:

Hmmm, is that the canon connection? I have been using Tony's build of the AM 1.0 armor, on the first page is the cod with a snap.

i stand corrected yes that is doable.  definitely will want to cut down the rivet

• Like 1

Left side holes drilled for the rivets. Do most use webbing and attach directly to the rivets/washers, or is it beneficial to use snaps and rivets (like the cod rivet)?

Holes were measured following the AM 1.0 build at 20, 80, and 150mm from the top. 10mm from the sides to the middle of the hole.

4dwZhFa.jpg

Really depends on how you plan on strapping your armour. Obviously the downside of using webbing and rivets with washers here would be permanently joining the two pieces together. I have to use a smaller bin because I can't fit a 50 gallon bin in my car, so being able to separate the front and the back of the armour is beneficial in packing my costume more tightly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lucnak said:

Really depends on how you plan on strapping your armour. Obviously the downside of using webbing and rivets with washers here would be permanently joining the two pieces together. I have to use a smaller bin because I can't fit a 50 gallon bin in my car, so being able to separate the front and the back of the armour is beneficial in packing my costume more tightly.

If get a bigger car you can bring more costumes with you ;)

• Like 2

...I have actually mentioned this to my wife when we've talked about the next car we buy - especially since we are now both 501st members!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lucnak said:

...I have actually mentioned this to my wife when we've talked about the next car we buy - especially since we are now both 501st members!

that might be why i traded in my truck for the durango.  safer inside the vehicle than in the truck bed

• Like 1

Thinking of how I can fit the front and back plates before I make strapping.

Is this measurement of 3 1/8th between plates specific to the trooper or standard?

MYXpDg4.png

I was going to use tape with the spacing to get the initial fit (Not sure if I need to trim the back plate yet)

It's usually different from one trooper to another, so I'd suggest finding something specifically for yourself for better fitment. Try it on yourself and find what works best on you, then measure the distance between the chest and back plates once it is properly positioned. After that, you'll have a pretty good idea of how long your shoulder strapping should be. 

Also, if you can get help from someone to measure the distance between the pieces while you are wearing them, it makes it way easier to have precise measurements! :P

By the way, nice painting on thos ebuttons! :)

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, LTM said:

Do most use webbing and attach directly to the rivets/washers, or is it beneficial to use snaps and rivets (like the cod rivet)?

Most do use webbing and attach directly, but I did the rivet-in-snap method you did with your cod snap in case I ever need to change out the webbing or separate the ab and kidney completely. It's worked out really well for me so far (7 months, 10 troops.) In general I tried to make as many parts of my armor replaceable/repairable.

rV-UjYvx6PLo7PtbypOAI-jTs0ii243AHbXLHPQK

OjcVYsaZK4HIq1Y_Y5VXCNrQTCpdBRJ9-tD9HXFk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LTM said:

Thinking of how I can fit the front and back plates before I make strapping.

Is this measurement of 3 1/8th between plates specific to the trooper or standard?

MYXpDg4.png

I was going to use tape with the spacing to get the initial fit (Not sure if I need to trim the back plate yet)

I glued my strapping where I thought the distance would be than tried on.  I didn't like it so I tore it off and re-glued giving it a better fit to my frame.  Welcome to the trial and error phase of the build!

• Like 1

So Based on the advice above I will attach the snap plates to the torso/back/front and start making connections.

Will use snap plates at the shoulders so I can adjust.

Edited by LTM
Added text

For the shoulder spacing, there's no required gap. I am so small that initially the front and back plates overlapped at the shoulder, so I had to trim them back.

tg5bntFgQabCJs81nCg90tZcZ631V5Z-K7xlIS_V

JPS9SLbJbGh-tt631-Fk3z86_9uY1p4QkOoSfMAf

I also attached both sets of shoulder straps with snaps, but I have basically never unsnapped the left side, so it could easily be glued.

NJesJYmI4M-pZ3sqpdD0HuylcNTI6vV6e4gXuJoY

• Like 2

Belt time.

GeCxE74.png

The wonkiness of the TK's really sets my ocd to overdrive (the difference in distance on the kidney snaps)

On finding the center of the belt, do you measure between the velcro (meaning do you exclude the velcro pieces on each end)?

Do I start the measurement at:

vHYWZ8M.jpg

And end right before the velcro:

5dToIeC.jpg

• Like 1

I measured mine from the end of the Velcro just like you did.

c0bCCBNuejNJn4cQcQXAKlfT2tPCVYJLdWEnTr25

From my middle I took the measurements of my snaps, divided by 2 and measured out from the center for the snaps.  I ended up moving one side of the snaps about and 1/8 in out more to allow the snap to not be under tension and hold better rather than popping off after I did a trial fit.

• Like 1

Darn jedi mind tricks, I need to move the left snap closer to the middle. Will just mimic the right side snap location.

Right side, the snap will be under one of the ammo packs

6ZO2oUv.jpg

Left side, need to move this one towards the center so the snap is under the ammo pack

rtwG6ZT.jpg

9 minutes ago, LTM said:

Darn jedi mind tricks, I need to move the left snap closer to the middle. Will just mimic the right side snap location.

Right side, the snap will be under one of the ammo packs

6ZO2oUv.jpg

Left side, need to move this one towards the center so the snap is under the ammo pack

rtwG6ZT.jpg

I dont think you need to worry too much about that as long as the snaps are hidden by the abs belt.  you will have three other rivets to hold the abs belt to the canvas belt

• Like 1