Willeywonka's ANH Stunt Build (AP Armor)

willeywonka

43 minutes ago, GilFran007 said:

I've had no ill effects with e6000 on nickel plated line 24 tandy snaps.  I read about the various accounts on the deformations and supposed exothermic chemical reaction and have not witnessed it with my build.

I've pulled off numerous straps and see that the glue has bonded between the armour and the back of the snap, and the only deformation I saw was the inner 'snap circle' on the armour.....from when you push in and pull off the snap itself.

I would just be weary with the strap plate as now the duct tape is providing adhesion surface between the strap and the armor....and the duct tape adhesion is not as strong as the e6000.  You should have enough e6000 around her to hold her in.....but my OCD would keep me awake at night knowing what lies beneath.

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying, I would just rather risk having to replace some faulty nylon strapping/snaps because of the duct tape than risk having permanently disfigured armor. It's much cheaper and easier to fix strapping/snaps. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I am okay with that lol. :)

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

So... E6000.  I was one of the people who had an issue with E6000.  I bought two tubes - both labeled the same and from the same store (authentic E6000 from a large franchise hardware store).  So far I've had the issue from only one of the tubes.  So, perhaps I just got unlucky with one.  That said, I've changed my approach to gluing with E6000.  I no longer use strong clamps (unless it is required to maintain the shape of the ABS in special cases).  And I never apply a clamp to the snap itself (I had before).  Really, if you press the nylon base tight against your armor with lots of E6000 and hold for a bit, you should be able to just let go and let the E6000 dry.  In other words - I'd be nervous using the duct tape (as Gil pointed out) and I would be more inclined to use ample E6000 but little force during the drying (small magnets or even tape at most).  And for the record - I would be a little nervous with cheap Amazon snaps (more for their durability) - but I'm a nervous guy in general. :) 

Keep it up!  The build looks great! :duim:

interesting that you witnessed these deformations with using too much pressure right on the metal interface.....

We should definitely earmark that as 'what not to do' for builder noobs.  I think I've graduated from 'noobness' and am an official 'dilatant' when it comes to armor construction...LOL

Agreed with Greg.....keep up the great work.  ps - our legs in armor could be doppelganger limbs in a world without faces.....lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GilFran007 said:

We should definitely earmark that as 'what not to do' for builder noobs.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but here are some links that discuss the issue in more detail:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43921-e6000-snaps-uh-oh-deformation-discussion-thread/

Starting at this post there are a number of posts about it on this thread (QuartZ's build)

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43403-quartzs-anovos-anh-stunt-build/?do=findComment&comment=591789

I summarized my thoughts in this post - it is a big post so you have to scroll down a bit (sorry).

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=600163

There are other older posts about this as well.  Seems like there is no definitive understanding why this happens to some and not to others.  The really bad cases seem rare - so that is kind of good news.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but here are some links that discuss the issue in more detail:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43921-e6000-snaps-uh-oh-deformation-discussion-thread/

Starting at this post there are a number of posts about it on this thread (QuartZ's build)

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43403-quartzs-anovos-anh-stunt-build/?do=findComment&comment=591789

I summarized my thoughts in this post - it is a big post so you have to scroll down a bit (sorry).

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43437-wooks-first-build-anh-stunt-tk-ap/?do=findComment&comment=600163

There are other older posts about this as well.  Seems like there is no definitive understanding why this happens to some and not to others.  The really bad cases seem rare - so that is kind of good news.

Your post with advice for noobs is awesome! Wish I would have found it sooner...haha. Thanks for chiming in on this as well. 

Over the past few days I have finished my interior torso strapping and my thigh garter system.

Here is my slotted scrap ABS connection to keep everything lined up:

1rDa7Wu.jpg

1Hr8fBp.jpg

rkSSGC0.jpg

THIGH GARTERS:

LKSgEzg.jpg

Tonight I started working on finishing the connections for my back and chest pieces. However, I have run into a speed bump and I am really hoping you can all provide some advice. Back to my long torso problem. I am having a really hard time with the back piece position. I don't want it too far down below my neck because it just looks weird, but I know I am supposed to have no/minimal gap between the kidney and back piece. I think my chest piece is positioned well. I know I could raise it up a touch more, but if I do then the back piece looks like it's too low beneath my neck. I think I am going to have to settle for about a 1 inch gap between my back piece and my kidney piece. 

Just FYI, the blue tape connecting my chest and pack pieces is cut to the length of the ridged, ABS should straps.

Here are some pictures for reference. Pardon the blank, soulless expression. The tedious nature of this process was wearing on me at this point haha. Also, I just noticed that the lady on the tv behind me looks like Lord Voldemort...

cA13RdP.jpg

on5toay.jpg

Mp05BKK.jpg

OfM95yF.jpg

Any thoughts? As I have mentioned previously, I am shooting for Centurion, so I am hoping I can still make it with this issue. Thanks in advance!

Agreed. Try it on with the undersuit to get a better idea. Your pants especially will get in the way.

Pull the cod/butt up high (but not too high if you know what I mean) for your test fitting.

Based on the existing pictures, I would say you need to minimize the gaps in the back. There should be little to no gap between the butt/kidney and a "minimal" one between the kidney and backplate. Pulling the cod/butt up will help this, and you may be able to bring the back down a tad as well (hard to tell with the tape masking where the shoulder pieces of the backplate end). You may end up having to re-do your straps in those areas to get rid of those gaps. 

Looking forward to updated pics :) 

• Like 1

Alright gents! @Neb Sgird and @TheSwede

Here are some updated pictures.

hKa0ifC.jpg

Have to hold the thighs because they tend to angle inward right now. I'll fix that eventually with some high density foam on the interior of the outer side to help pull them outward.

6D08PZv.jpg

b6S4wjg.jpg

Y0hhU6G.jpg

Not gonna lie, it is an amazing feeling to see myself finally wearing the armor this close to completion. Definitely renews my drive to get this done!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, willeywonka said:

Not gonna lie, it is an amazing feeling to see myself finally wearing the armor

We all know that feeling :)

so...is the cod and butt as high up as you possible can? How would the fit feel if you closed the back/kidney gap a half inch? And is the buttplate secured in the center? It looks a bit loose. Almost there :) and I think we should have a shout to Tony @ukswrath and Andrew @Sly11 to hear their thoughts as well, they might say that gap is perfectly fine for Centurion :salute:

40 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

We all know that feeling :)

so...is the cod and butt as high up as you possible can? How would the fit feel if you closed the back/kidney gap a half inch? And is the buttplate secured in the center? It looks a bit loose. Almost there :) and I think we should have a shout to Tony @ukswrath and Andrew @Sly11 to hear their thoughts as well, they might say that gap is perfectly fine for Centurion :salute:

Yeah it’s pretty high up there. Not to the point of being uncomfortable, but just on the border line haha. Also, yes the butt plate is secured, it just doesn’t have a lot of flex on the end where the snaps secure and with me pulling the ab/cod up higher it’s pulling that part of the butt downward.

We find sometimes adding a couple of abs V tabs can be helpful keeping the butt plate held in, glue one side to the butt plate and the other end is free behind the back plate.

With your thighs the angle of the elastic can make them pull either way, try to have these in line.

Looking good.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:32 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

We find sometimes adding a couple of abs V tabs can be helpful keeping the butt plate held in, glue one side to the butt plate and the other end is free behind the back plate.

Thanks for the tip! Just one question...what is an ABS V tab? haha

16 minutes ago, Twosolitudes said:

I really like your “slotted scrap ABS connection to keep everything lined up,” and I think I’ll do the same thing when I get to that step. :duim:

Thanks Robert. I actually picked this idea up from a couple other build threads I have seen. Works great! Hope your build is going well! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, willeywonka said:

Thanks for the tip! Just one question...what is an ABS V tab? haha

With a heat gun you bend strips of ABS plastic into the shape of a V, only glue one side and the other remains free to allow movement when you bend. Just helps stop the butt plate from pushing back from the back plate.

Q6j9pfd.jpg

qrjihT5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being MIA for awhile, but don't mistake my lessened presence here for a lack of progress. In fact, I am pretty much finished with my armor aside from finishing touches here and there. To sum up:

My belt has been placed using Chicago screws instead of snaps. I like how this provides a much more secure hold and will prevent any slipping while still allowing it to be removed if necessary. The two outer screws connect through the ab piece, while the center is only connected on the belt itself. Holster is also placed.

OfAuwDO.jpg

huCSs8Q.jpg

Interior view of the screw connection:

0hPYeN8.jpg

Drop boxes have also been placed.

GnHCmV7.jpg

EnP4ATm.jpg

I have also wrapped up the gloves and added bicep hooks.

L3qsR0F.jpg

ire27Ms.jpg

Shin velcro closures have been placed as well but I forgot to take pictures. Last, I repaired my damaged thighs as best as I could with ABS paste. I think I will probably still get new ones to start from scratch eventually, but I am content with how they turned out for now.

7yAqFXC.jpg

8afbpmY.jpg

uyPdqIL.jpg

I'll try to get my fit perfected over the next couple days and then hope to submit for basic approval once I receive my E11 (supposed to ship by Friday)! Thanks for the help EVERYONE. I love being part of this community and am crossing my fingers for a TK ID soon. Y'all rock! :salute:

• Like 2

Great work:duim: You don`t need a blaster on basic approval, only for higher levels so get those pics in and you could also take advantage of the pre-approval program we got here:salute:

• Like 2

Still waiting to hear back on basic approval, but I just submitted last Tuesday and I know it can take some time. Trying to be patient! :)

Meanwhile, my E11 from QuestDesign arrived and it's amazing! I went ahead and added a spring to the action just to give it another level of realism. Still trying to decide on whether or not to weather it.

auTpN1Q.jpg?1

jrOyV93.jpg?1

GYhpnfY.jpg

I also received my Aker amp and mic and have been testing out the Troopertalk app.

mzOTBFo.jpg?1

Last, I received my helmet padding. Still working on figuring out the best configuration.

vRmCzBf.jpg

I have been working on my back/kidney gap and plan to hopefully post updated pictures to my pre-approval review thread tonight!

Edited by willeywonka
Typo
  • Like 2