TFA Quadnocular Build - T5H 3D Files

gmrhodes13

TFA Quadnocular Build - T5H 3D Files

As the heading suggests this will be a build of T5H (The5thHorseman) quadnoclar 3D files, A MASSIVE THANK YOU for completing them Germain and for once again sharing your work free with this community :salute:.

I recently joined the 21st century and purchased a Cocoon Create 3D printer, a base model but it fit into my budget (some costume pieces had to be let go from the collection). A fellow member purchased the same machine last year with no major hiccups so lets see how it goes. The days of building a lot of props by hand are in my past due to some ongoing health issues so this printer will greatly help me out with that.

So it began, waiting on some different coloured PLA to arrive so after familiarizing myself with Germain's extensive tutorial I started with some of the pieces that are black, soon found out while converting them that I wasn't going to print these super fine, 22 hrs for one piece is just too long for me. Of course I will be filling and adding paint but thought if I at least have the base color in PLA it won't show as much if it gets scratched or chipped.

Also ordered some hardware, so much cheaper online than locally, I'm sure I'll still be printing long before I'm going to need them.

Not much to show so far but wanted to start documenting the build, this is going to take a while (mostly as I only live in a small place and I'm a very light sleeper so no 24hr printing for me) 

XfmUbNY.png

More to come, eventually ;) 

Because of the hinge system built in it won't allow straight through viewing, the tutorial advises black acrylic for the appearance of lenses, I will play with a few different ideas to see which gives the best realist look.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Waited some time for the delivery of white pla to get here but halfway through printing now.

vGAQLlj.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished printing and hardware has arrived. Will do a trial fit before adding any glue. Then it will be on to filling and priming, that is going to take a while.

JGTYWZs.png

Have you tried the threading between the front objectives and the binoculars body? Because getting the right clearance for it to work with FDM printing can be troublesome and as I was out of filament I never tried it myself to see if it works.

One word of advice though, when you try it, if the pieces start to get stuck do not force or they'll get dead jammed together.

11 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

Have you tried the threading between the front objectives and the binoculars body? Because getting the right clearance for it to work with FDM printing can be troublesome and as I was out of filament I never tried it myself to see if it works.

One word of advice though, when you try it, if the pieces start to get stuck do not force or they'll get dead jammed together.

No not yet, I've only added the threaded rod through one side to see it's size, will be playing with assembly next. Thanks for the tip, I will keep it in mind :salute:

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2018 at 1:15 PM, The5thHorseman said:

Hi Germain,
I've printed out your quadnocular parts (great design work, and thank you).
My objectives thread will not mate  with the thread in the binoculars body. Very tight, I can get one or two of them about 1mm in before they start to jam.
As mentioned in my build topic, I'm going to try sanding the thread on the objectives to reduce the diameter of the thread.
Hopefully that should work.