hollowbodies' first build : ANH Stunt TK (AP)

hollowbodies

16 hours ago, wook1138 said:

I had the same issue.  My hand barely makes it through the wrist opening and I don't have big meat hooks by any means.  I have to put my gloves on after and feed the cuffs back into the armor.  Anyways... you can make the cover-strips larger - from what I understand, it is about relative size - between the strips and the guy wearing the armor, and from cover-strip on one part to another.  So if you make slightly larger strips for your arms - lets say 17 or 18mm, your thighs would be 24mm or so.  Some people will make the back cover-strip a little larger than the front, so the front still looks more screen accurate.  I believe that within reason, all this is approved at higher levels - no one breaks out a ruler on your armor.  Maybe one of the pros (I'm looking at you, Daniel) can chime in.

Thanks for the Kudos Greg :salute: And...I´m a bit late to the party so the questions have been answered, however I would like to mention the arm to leg-ratio, I wouldn`t go that big on the leg ,unless you really have to, at the 25-isch mark the cover strips start to look big and it would be better to keep closer to canon size even though the arm is a bit bigger. Other than that I agree with all above:) 

10 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Have a look in the gallery under RS and you will see a whole pile of measured coverstrips ;) 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/59-the-rs-suit/?page=3

Correct sizing is:

Arms front and back 15mm (forearm & bicep)

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

These are canon measurements and are for screen accuracy. Neither Sly or Tony will ask you to pull out a ruler during L2 or L3. What they do ask however is that the areas look uniform.

Thanks for the info, I'll look closely at all those images! :D

5 hours ago, TheSwede said:

Thanks for the Kudos Greg :salute: And...I´m a bit late to the party so the questions have been answered, however I would like to mention the arm to leg-ratio, I wouldn`t go that big on the leg ,unless you really have to, at the 25-isch mark the cover strips start to look big and it would be better to keep closer to canon size even though the arm is a bit bigger. Other than that I agree with all above:) 

Good to know! I think that the slimmer the armor looks the better it is. It's strange that the screen accurate width for those strips is 25mm... You're right, that sounds pretty large, but in the movie, the Stormtrooper's legs seem pretty slim most of the time.

Also, you're not late at all to the party: all of that is just starting for me haha! Feel free to come back later and comment on anything; a pro's opinion is always more than welcome! Thanks to you all for you help by the way! ^^ 

Edited by hollowbodies

17 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

screen accurate width for those strips is 25mm

That`s for the back of shins only (just to be clear) to help hide the gap/seem, in the Movie they used elastic and hooks to close the shins and as they flexed a bigger strip hides it better. So 25 is the way to go on the shins:duim: 

med_gallery_12157_59_59770.jpg

27 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

I think that the slimmer the armor looks the better it is.

Agreed - for those furtunate TK:s that "fit the standard as per Movie" one just have to do the best with what one got:)

And...I´ll do my best to help out as all of us do, you have got solid advise so far  - Troopers helping Troopers :salute:

Thanks for the clarification!

25 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

And...I´ll do my best to help out as all of us do, you have got solid advise so far  - Troopers helping Troopers :salute:

That's what is amazing in here; everyone is just so kind and helpful! :o:duim: I hope I'll be able to contribute to that someday! :D

• Like 1

So I have tried to do some more fit tests for the forearms and now, instead of using tape to butt join the pieces and have a cover strip width of almost 20mm, I tried to reduce the width as much a possible by overlapping the parts just to see how close to 15mm I could get with my hand and arm still fitting. I got to around 16mm on the front and 17-ish mm on the back for my hand to be able to make it through. I could probably make it work with 16mm on the back as well, but here is how it looked with 16mm front/17mm back... do you think it seems to look fit and slim enough on the arm overall ? 

Right :

CP9K6YG.jpg

I8AmPiY.jpg

FGmvw5o.jpg

63J8vQq.jpg

Left : 

qWBHbSt.jpg

XWZwvLz.jpg

Ljd6fMq.jpg

I just thought I'd ask before starting to cut it to really bring it to those sizes! Thanks! :lol:

I am sure you have seen these diagrams in your research, but it never hurts to see them again.

These are only guides, but where extremely useful for me for doing things like sizing and whatnot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hollowbodies said:

I just thought I'd ask before starting to cut it to really bring it to those sizes!

That looks good as far as I can see:) I have a question though - is that your undersuit/shirt? I´m asking because it looks big and wrinkles and that will prevent the armor from sliding on your body thus making you have less mobility. The undersuit idealy is as skin-thight as possible. If not  your undersuit than I recommend sizing the armor with it on :salute:

Thanks for pointing that out, Daniel! Yes, that is what I initially thought I'd use for my undersuit. It's a Duofold, as per some recommendations from some people here. If I remember correctly, here is what I ordered : https://www.amazon.ca/Duofold-Weight-Wicking-Thermal-XX-Large/dp/B006SRTEHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517319991&sr=8-2&keywords=duofold&th=1&psc=1 . Obviously, I took the smallest size (small), but I guess that is still too big. I could keep it as backup and order something else. What would you suggest that's *always* a very good bet? 8-)

Edited by hollowbodies

Pehaps it shrinks when washing? Try that first, and if it`s still big I would recommend finding another that is tighter on you and it`s hard to say really, as long as it`s black, shows no logos and is tight anything goes. A lot of Troopers recommend a two-piece, I have a one-piece and very happy with that. Any compression suit would work. The undersuit I have I bought on ebay - just search for stormtrooper undersuit :)

• Like 1

Hey David.  I ordered the Duofold as well, but I ordered the thermal shirt (not wicking).  I'm not sure what the difference is, but in the images on Amazon, the one I ordered looked like it fit tighter - and for the most part it does.  I'm fairly skinny and it fits fairly snug.  Your other option is to look for a "compression" shirt (and pants if you can find them).  I've looked a bit but the options for a totally black set on Amazon.ca is limited.  Amazon.com has a few options the last time I looked - as long as they will ship to Canada.  Failing that, there are some people on here who sell undersuits for troopers.

Yeah, the hardest part is finding one all black with no logo really! :o I'll try to get something that is more like a real compression suit... There's this that looks cool and is all black and looks like some troopers use and love: https://www.extremeracing.co.uk/star-wars-stormtrooper-costume-bodysuit-undersuit.html . The only thing I'm not sure about it is that it's a one piece, and I think I would prefer separate pants and shirt. 

There is also this model from the same website that is two-piece: https://www.extremeracing.co.uk/motorcycle-two-piece-base-layer-under-suit.html . But this one has logos. I guess they could be hidden by the armor, but still, they look pretty much visible... Ever heard of anyone you know who really tried and loved it? Is it/does it look slim fit enough? 

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

Failing that, there are some people on here who sell undersuits for troopers.

Who here sells those? I've looked for a big sale thread but I can't seem to find one. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by hollowbodies

3 minutes ago, hollowbodies said:

Who here sells those? I've looked for a big sale thread but I can't seem to find one. :smiley-sw013:

Try TrooperBay on etsy (which I found via this site but I'm not sure if he has them for sale directly here).  The link you found looks perfectly good too.  I'm drawing a blank right now for others, but I'll let you know if I come across something.  Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

I too thought I needed a two piece suit.  But after getting my armor on I realized that any convenience in having a two piece suit is pretty much moot - in the case of my armor anyways.

• Like 1

I am just a noob here as I'm in the process of doing my first build, but here are the pants and shirt that I ordered on amazon. I have yet to receive the shirt, but I do have the pants and they fit just as shown.   Maybe an option if you're still going for the two piece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTLA3WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YBGFH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Mike! I'll check that out! :duim:

46 minutes ago, wook1138 said:

I too thought I needed a two piece suit.  But after getting my armor on I realized that any convenience in having a two piece suit is pretty much moot - in the case of my armor anyways.

And yes, I guess I could probably survive with a one piece, too! haha :P 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I know it's been a while since I've updated my thread... I've been pretty busy this week, but I still managed to work a little bit on my armor. Also, I was still waiting on a lot of things and mats I had ordered for my build, and I received many things in the past few days so I'm pretty happy -- more is still on the way! One thing I ordered since the recent posts was a new Under suit, as the one I had wasn't tight enough on my skin. So I ordered the shirt and pants that Mike linked me two posts before this one and I have to say, they seem really great. Thanks a lot Mike for pointing this out to me! :D They are really skinny and all black, so it's much more like what is needed for the undersuit. Here is a pic of the arm (you can look a few post earlier on this thread if you want to see the difference) :

YvOEAdt.jpg

So this week, I've mainly been working on the forearms and the biceps. I cut some cover strips and started to glue some on the forearms.

jVADWzf.jpg

6bo4Tqr.jpg

hRiUqn5.jpg

So far I have front and back cover strips glued on both the right and left outer forearms pieces, and I've started glueing the inner parts, too, but I'm not finished. I'll post more pics of the results soon.

I have also started doing some fit tests for the biceps. I've tried them with some 15mm cover strips on both the front and the back, and I still have some room around my arm, but I do not know if it's too much. Here is a picture of all the space there is when I hug my arm to my body :

oNb52cE.jpg

Does it seem to be too much? Honestly, I find there is still some space, but I think it's not too too bad at all, but I would like the opinion of you all who know about it. I doubt about going under 15mm for the cover strips because I think it can become pretty thin and I'd like to get as close as screen accurate as possible. So if you guys think it's fine with 15mm and that space around my arm, I'll go with this. (My forearms are at 16mm just for my hand to fit in)

Also about the biceps, just to make extremely sure, are they put together the right way (like right oriantation of pieces and all)? :laugh1:

vyTJxqq.jpg

Still working on the forearms right now and next I think I'll tackle the TD and start thinking about the bucket while I do the biceps -- more to come soon. Thanks!

Edited by hollowbodies

Good luck with your build! I'm loving my AP kit. 

I might be late to the game, but I have Darman's neck seal with the velcro. It's nice because if you end up sending him slightly incorrect measurements (mine is a little small) you can still make it work. It just gives you a few millimeters of leway that the zipper wouldn't. Plus, it's just easier to get on and off.

In regards to the undersuit, keep in mind you can have logos as long as they are hidden by your armor itself.

One thought. You'll want to buy new material for your lenses. I got this and cut it to the necessary dimensions. One shield is easily enough for 2 lenses, so if any of your future garrison buddies need some, you can share it around. The piece provided by Mark just isn't dark enough. 

Edited by Neb Sgird

34 minutes ago, Neb Sgird said:

I might be late to the game, but I have Darman's neck seal with the velcro. It's nice because if you end up sending him slightly incorrect measurements (mine is a little small) you can still make it work. It just gives you a few millimeters of leway that the zipper wouldn't. Plus, it's just easier to get on and off.

I finally bought one with a zipper. I took my measurements and I guess it'll be okay... I might just order another one with a velcro later, just so that I have both types. :P

34 minutes ago, Neb Sgird said:

One thought. You'll want to buy new material for your lenses. I got this and cut it to the necessary dimensions. One shield is easily enough for 2 lenses, so if any of your future garrison buddies need some, you can share it around. The piece provided by Mark just isn't dark enough. 

About that, I was thinking about ordering the dark lenses from TrooperBay (https://trooperbay.com/costuming-accessories/lenses-eyewear/dark-green-lens-material), as I have a few things to order from there anyways. I guess that does the job well, too. The one you linked seems pretty dark; do you see well through it?

Thanks for you feedback! :D

One simple question I have that you guys who have done an AP will be able to answer : there's really no side on an AP armor, right? I mean, most pieces can go to one side or another withour problem?

At least for the arms pieces, there's no specific right and left side ? Is that the same for the legs parts ?

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk

One simple question I have that you guys who have done an AP will be able to answer : there's really no side on an AP armor, right? I mean, most pieces can go to one side or another withour problem?

At least for the arms pieces, there's no specific right and left side ? Is that the same for the legs parts ?

Thanks!

There is a left and right for the legs. Mark usually indicates “L” or “R” on the inside. And, correct, no specific sides for the arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooh alright ! I haven't looked that much to the lower body parts, so thanks - I should probably have found it later. Anyways, good to know for the upper body! ^^

Yes, the arms are symmetrical. No, the legs are not. So careful there.

Ya, my lenses are pretty dark, but that's a good thing. My fan battery has an LED on it and you can't see it from outside the bucket. It's basically as dark as if I'm wearing sunglasses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi David,

Just going back a couple of posts to your question on arm sizing. Personally, I was recommended a finger’s width around the biceps and top of forearms (around elbow). This should stop it from looking baggy, but still give decent arm movement. 

At the wrist end, I was advised to make them as tight as possible, so your hand can just about squeeze through without your gloves on. (Gloves can tuck in afterwards). 

If you're still in the “tape things up and try it” phase, perhaps give that a go and see how that works for you.  

Dan :-)

5 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi David,

Just going back a couple of posts to your question on arm sizing. Personally, I was recommended a finger’s width around the biceps and top of forearms (around elbow). This should stop it from looking baggy, but still give decent arm movement. 

At the wrist end, I was advised to make them as tight as possible, so your hand can just about squeeze through without your gloves on. (Gloves can tuck in afterwards). 

If you're still in the “tape things up and try it” phase, perhaps give that a go and see how that works for you.  

Dan :-)

One finger is good advice.  I used two and my biceps turned out a bit large (at least width-wise).  However, I couldn't size them down much more because I had to keep my forearms a little bigger (to get my hand though the end) and wanted to keep the cover strips as close to cannon as possible.  In the end, I added a little bit of foam to the inside of my biceps too keep them centered and stable.  I could have reshaped them with a hot bath, but then my shoulder bells wouldn't fit as nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

One finger is good advice.  I used two and my biceps turned out a bit large (at least width-wise).  However, I couldn't size them down much more because I had to keep my forearms a little bigger (to get my hand though the end) and wanted to keep the cover strips as close to cannon as possible.  In the end, I added a little bit of foam to the inside of my biceps too keep them centered and stable.  I could have reshaped them with a hot bath, but then my shoulder bells wouldn't fit as nice.

Good stuff, Greg. Would adjusting the width of the coverstrips be done to bridge a gap in the limb parts (assuming they’re too small to fit)?

I’m guessing the amount of excess on each part varies between armour makers.

Thankfully, my RWA armour had enough excess on the limbs that I could size up and fit without having to change the size of the coverstrips. So, even if I had to add an inch or so to the biceps, for example, I would have simply trimmed less off of the bicep halves and still added a 15mm coverstrips. If that makes sense. ;-)

• Like 1