Wook's First Build - ANH Stunt TK (AP)

wook1138

31 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Well I don`t know how far a part you live but I think it would be cool if you teamed up and had your first troop together:D you`re already brothers in arms:salute:

2,953 km. 

Sorry we hijacked your thread Greg.

Question about thigh fitting.  I've tapered the thighs a little.  Does it look snug enough around the knees?  Thanks.

It is the one on the right (my left leg) that I'm more concerned with.  I'm not pushing the piece to one side in the second picture.

pYQLByZ.jpg

Bb05kxV.jpg

Thigh fitting.  Mark trimmed the thighs with a 20mm (more or less) total return edge on the front.  After a fitting, I decided to I would need to trim the thighs with a taper.  I first figured out a "tight fit" line, then eased up to a more conservative cut line.  then got scared about cutting away too much and reduced the amount of trim even more.  On the advice of other more knowledgeable troopers, I also trimmed away the upper return edge on the thighs - for very good reasons IMO.

upper return edge

vK8LJyD.jpg?1

NGeqWXA.jpg?1

It is hard to see the pencil line, but this is the amount of overlap at the back seam - very tightly fitted.

T5Si1QH.jpg?1

I took the total overlap thickness and applied equally to both sides.  Than got scared and even reduced it some more (no pic).

V2TqI78.jpg?1

My right thigh seems good but the left looks a touch big.  I posted this before, but I'll post it here again. 

pYQLByZ.jpg

Question: The front edge of the tight seems to have a curved return edge from top to bottom.  The pic below is showing the straight cover strip best fitted to the curve part.  Is this the way to deal with this?  Also, in the CRL the lower return edge detail appears to be totally removed at the back of the thighs.  Is this required - or more of a comfort thing.

Unlike the arms in AP's kit, the legs are left and right specific (and Mark has indicated which piece is which).  So measurements from one thigh didn't meet the needs of the other - or I have one larger thigh than the other.  Didn't actually measure myself.  Anyway...

Actually, now that I see this picture here, it is hard to see the issue.  Oh well.

NxmK0B4.jpg

the lower return edge at the back (left had side of pic)  - should I cut this away?

WRwiP8J.jpg

CRL image

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_anh_stunt.jpeg

I was rough fitting my thighs last night and realized I'd either have to trim the top by around an inch and raise them or remove the detail at the bottom back in order to walk at all. It dug into the back of my leg something awful. I looked at the CRL and it definitely is gone. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in.

Finishing the arms.  Everything is glued - final trim.  I did noticed a cover strip on one forearm was lifting very slightly.  I'll have to keep my eye on it.

One side done on this forearm.

0Hf6bWk.jpg

All done! Hopefully.

wCmNL7X.jpg

CvshWsv.jpg

Made the hooks for the biceps.  One was about 0.5 inches longer than the other.  The shorter one is actually a little too short.  I may make another one that is a bit longer - it allows for more area for gluing.  I shaped them with a hot water bath.

Fzetmhr.jpg

10 hours ago, wook1138 said:

My right thigh seems good but the left looks a touch big. 

Perhaps taper it some more (tape it up and check again).

Actually, now that I see this picture here, it is hard to see the issue.

Yeah, I dont see it, cover strips are supposed to end at the raised edge (thighs /front and back, shins/back) if that was your concern - all looks good.

Is this required - or more of a comfort thing.

Only comfort and in my opinion you should try to avoid it, doesn`t look good (just my opinion) even though they did it in the Movie on some suits and it`s still Centurion approvable. So it`s up to you.

the lower return edge at the back (left had side of pic)  - should I cut this away?

In the Words of Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....did you remove all the return edge from top of thighs? If so I would only cut from the top seeing as you don`t need to recreate the return (unless you want to) BUT not before I really really have to!! These things don`t provide great mobility or comfort (if you want it to look the best in my opinion).

I write "in my opinion" alot :Pbut that`s just to point out that it`s just a suggestion and not something you`ll have to do for approval.

This look is what my suggestions are based on: except the "malfunction" of twisted sniper knees this is how I think it should look and how I tried to do it, with minimal black showing. At 202 Lbs I´m bigger then the "ideal" size so one have to work with what one got and to ones liking:) ( I reached Centurion without issues so I think I did good "patting my own back":rolleyes:)

med_gallery_14191_18_388910.jpg

14 hours ago, wook1138 said:

Question: The front edge of the tight seems to have a curved return edge from top to bottom.  The pic below is showing the straight cover strip best fitted to the curve part.  Is this the way to deal with this?  Also, in the CRL the lower return edge detail appears to be totally removed at the back of the thighs.  Is this required - or more of a comfort thing.

Unlike the arms in AP's kit, the legs are left and right specific (and Mark has indicated which piece is which).  So measurements from one thigh didn't meet the needs of the other - or I have one larger thigh than the other.  Didn't actually measure myself.  Anyway...

Actually, now that I see this picture here, it is hard to see the issue.  Oh well.

NxmK0B4.jpg

WRwiP8J.jpg

CRL image

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:TK_anh_stunt.jpeg

Hey Greg. Check out Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build. Fourth build down on the ANH Build Threads. On page 4, part way down, there is a completed pic of the back of the thighs. I think this is what you mean. I know it's the answer I was looking for.

Thanks guys. 

4 hours ago, TheSwede said:

In the Words of Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....did you remove all the return edge from top of thighs?

Yeah, but that was whiny Ep III Vader :)  Yes I did.  I wasn't going to remove anything from the front of the thigh (or shins for that matter).  Just the back for mobility.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Hey Greg. Check out Ukswrath's AM 1.0 build.

Sean, I can't believe I hadn't checked out that thread before - there is a lot of good info for first timers (I just quickly went through it this morning - I'll have to go back and find the pic you are talking about).  I'll probably leave it alone for now.  I can always cut later - but the ABS doesn't grow back.

• Like 1

Hey Greg. FYI, the hand guards from AP are silicone and almost nothing sticks to them. I've tried both E6000 and Zap-A-Gap. Nope. Darthanael's AP build thread has the solution. I ordered it from Amazon.ca. Loctite Super Glue Plastics Bonding System with Activator 2-Gram (681925) is what he used and it worked. Shipping is about a week with Amazon Prime and was $10 CDN. I'm expecting it next week. I might have to apply to the 501st using the hand guards AP provided and then go for EIB & Centurion when the glue comes. I also ordered the S shaped helmet trim from Trooperbay which shipped today. Wonder how long USPS is going to take for that one?

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Hey Greg. FYI, the hand guards from AP are silicone and almost nothing sticks to them. I've tried both E6000 and Zap-A-Gap. Nope. Darthanael's AP build thread has the solution. I ordered it from Amazon.ca. Loctite Super Glue Plastics Bonding System with Activator 2-Gram (681925) is what he used and it worked. Shipping is about a week with Amazon Prime and was $10 CDN. I'm expecting it next week. I might have to apply to the 501st using the hand guards AP provided and then go for EIB & Centurion when the glue comes. I also ordered the S shaped helmet trim from Trooperbay which shipped today. Wonder how long USPS is going to take for that one?

Thanks Sean!  I saw darthanael's thread on that - he had a pretty tough time.  I was hoping  you would figure something out first :) 

Do you think you will be done the kit before the loctite arrives!?!  I'll be lucky if I get this done before "Solo" comes out.

1 hour ago, wook1138 said:

Thanks Sean!  I saw darthanael's thread on that - he had a pretty tough time.  I was hoping  you would figure something out first :) 

Do you think you will be done the kit before the loctite arrives!?!  I'll be lucky if I get this done before "Solo" comes out.

I'm pretty sure I'll be done by the 15th. Not sure when the Locktite arrives. Maybe the 12th if I'm lucky.

16 hours ago, Harbinger said:

You could always try silicone sealant/caulk, available at most home improvement places. It may work.

I actually own that stuff already.   I think I might give it a try tonight.

Well, some people do all one or the other. Each has pros and cons:

Nylon

Pros - Durable, easy to cut (melt)

Cons - No flex, more stress on connection points (possible damage to strapping/armor might occur)

Elastic

Pros - Flexible

Cons - Harder to work with (fray check, sewing usually required)

If you go with elastic I'd recommend getting the heavy duty thick stuff and doubling it up, personally I used nylon for most areas and only have elastic in a few spots for flex, for example one side of my ab/kidney connection is nylon but the other is elastic so I can actually get the snaps on and off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harbinger said:

personally I used nylon for most areas and only have elastic in a few spots for flex, for example one side of my ab/kidney connection is nylon but the other is elastic so I can actually get the snaps on and off.

Thanks Brien.  That is where I was leaning.  I was planning on the right side ab/kidney being elastic only because I've seen other people do it - but making the snaps more accessible during dressing/undressing is a really good point - which I had not thought of at all.  I also thought the ab to chest would be a good place for elastic as well - since it just overlaps anyway.