ukswrath

Actually it's all about movie clips.  The reality is that the CRLs are based on what you see on screen, not prop replication.  

How does that work for the FOJE? All we have seen is the top half of the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup, but we have other sources like the toys, etc. It's quite possible it may change once the movies come out.  Thank back to the EP2/EP2 clones - those early suits are totally unusable today.  Look at the early build FOTKs too that were made before the movie.  

It's not 100% binary - I'm not saying we don't consider behind the scenes shots for details - because we do - what I'm saying is that the behind the scenes shots are used to fill in and support screen caps, not override them.  

• Like 1

The toys of the FOJE are so unreliable - no two products match and the BS figure is grossly incorrect on a basic design element.

The official promo stills are THE most reliable thing we have right now and we’re still lacking a full 360.

Given Anovos produced these statues you would like to think they were assembled from 3D scans of original screen used kits - or whatever their regular claim is - but, for now, we really don’t know.

The first visual reference of the TLJ FOTK TD has landed. The new Nissan tvc ‘Dark Side’ shows it to be the same as the FOJE - all black!

6fcf6e68f743884c01f4e11cdfda1f8c.jpg

Thanks Kevin Snow for the heads-up!

8 hours ago, dyops said:

So is it flat/matte, satin/semiglossy or glossy? :P

The TFA armor uses gaffers tape which would be equivalent to matted, the long rectangle area next to it was a decal or painted, also a matted look. I'd be surprised if anybody outside of the movie crew actually knows what it is. I think matte is best guess at this point. 

18 hours ago, ukswrath said:

The TFA armor uses gaffers tape which would be equivalent to matted, the long rectangle area next to it was a decal or painted, also a matted look. I'd be surprised if anybody outside of the movie crew actually knows what it is. I think matte is best guess at this point. 

I tried matte sticker for the markings on the snowtrooper armor (shoulder bell and helmet) and it looked way off. So given that all decals on the snowtrooper armor are satin, that the decals on the stormtrooper helmet are satin, etc..., I would tend to think that they used the same material everywhere and that satin is the way to go.

• Like 1

So, I just spent the past hour or so of the holiday getting these CRLs reformatted to use templates and I think I got all the feedback in.  If not, lmk.  Whew!

On the plus, any changes now mean changing one file, not 3.

8 hours ago, The5thHorseman said:

I tried matte sticker for the markings on the snowtrooper armor (shoulder bell and helmet) and it looked way off. So given that all decals on the snowtrooper armor are satin, that the decals on the stormtrooper helmet are satin, etc..., I would tend to think that they used the same material everywhere and that satin is the way to go.

Satin would work

5a171b1cebb2b_TDcrop.JPG.38fc02ce6e47ba22dd01e9bbb74b87e7.JPG

For what it’s worth, our first ACTUAL grab from the movie which, again, confirms the fully black end cap. Check the three troopers on screen left.

fce2de20b3d1c8143920d72dfc76cc69.jpg

And further to the chat regarding Matte/Satin I revisited my own reworking of the TD and confirm I used Satin!

902253156a104390b067c9a4f019d432.jpg

56 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

Right now the CRL just says "black".  Perhaps we should say on the CRL that it should be satin or matte?

TFA

If we want to get specific @ basic I say leave it a "black"

L3 - Center section "satin or matte decal". End cap black "black gaffers tape" 

• Like 1

If we want to get specific @ basic I say leave it a "black"
L3 - Center section "satin decal". End cap black "black gaffers tape" 

Remembering this is the TLJ CRL we cant confirm if the end cap IS gaffer tape. I’d be surprised if it is.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

Remembering this is the TLJ CRL we cant confirm if the end cap IS gaffer tape. I’d be surprised if it is.

We should definitely take that into consideration. Until we know for certain we may have to play it safe.   

I agree that precising the nature of the black should be left to Level 3 and not Basic. And like Darren said, I'd be much surprised if it was gaffer tape.

Best to leave it until more info comes out. Even though I don't think there will be many shots on the thermal detonators, and even more close-ups, in the film.

• Like 2