Help! Scratch repair

So I finally started my build today and made my first cuts. I was filing the teeth in the frown and the file slipped and scratched the faceplate. It's not a deep gouge but it's also not just a brush. Any idea if it can be fixed or should I order a new faceplate. Thanks in advance! c1545c6e9a9d6009ad1f0e8e4a4bd8a9.jpg

It probably won't be seen in your application photos but you know it's there ;).

I have found with a few light scratches to sand wet, using wet and dry sandpaper, start with a 320 grit then work up to 600 and 1200, then you will need to use a compound/buffing polish to bring back the shine.

NOTE: I would suggest to the first timer to try on some scrap pieces of plastic (just add a couple of scratches) first before tackling your helmet ;).

It probably won't be seen in your application photos but you know it's there ;).

I have found with a few light scratches to sand wet, using wet and dry sandpaper, start with a 320 grit then work up to 600 and 1200, then you will need to use a compound/buffing polish to bring back the shine.

NOTE: I would suggest to the first timer to try on some scrap pieces of plastic (just add a couple of scratches) first before tackling your helmet ;).

I just ordered some Novus 1,2,&3 to compound and polish. I'll definitely try the sanding with the different grits on a few scrap pieces. Funny I have no problem jumping in with wet sanding a brand new car but for some reason this armor scares me lol. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, MK7GolfR said:

I just ordered some Novus 1,2,&3 to compound and polish. I'll definitely try the sanding with the different grits on a few scrap pieces. Funny I have no problem jumping in with wet sanding a brand new car but for some reason this armor scares me lol. Thanks for the tip!

Well if you've tackled a car then I don't think you will have any problems, good luck

wetsand using 1000 grit, then finish off with 1500 grit, dont' be alarmed if plastic becomes dull its normal then use any car compound scratch/swirl remover or novus plastic polish to restore shine.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MK7GolfR said:

The Novus system is great, and will serve you well in the future for small jobs but it may not get out that deep of a scratch.  As mentioned, the wet sanding will probably be your best bet and then follow that up with the car compound.

• Like 2

You might want to take some photos of each step, Sean.  This way you could post them in a thread along with an explanation of how you are doing it.  This would be really helpful to those in the same boat.

• Like 2

Body shop 101 begins....f267393a59dce43f734dd39f8767effa.jpg
So I practiced on a few scrap pieces that I gouged deeper than the scratches on my face mask. Actually had to start off with 220 grit on the practice pieces until the scratch was leveled out and gone, but on the face mask I was able to get it out with just 400. Continued with 400, 800, 1000, 1500, and finally 2000 grit. Each time feathering out of the repair area to blend it in better. After the wet sanding was finished I used Novus 3, then 2 to get rid of any light scratches or abrasions. When all the light scratches and swirls we're finally gone with Novus 2 I finished it off with Novus 1 to bring back the shine! I am really impressed with the outcome, can't even tell that it was ever scratched. And my OCD had me fixing a few little minor scratches and polished off the entire faceplate for a uniform appearance.

Before any sanding
e790a452b45fd76f842ce688569c63d5.jpg
bd97229ba90c299b4ddbc5abdaa82820.jpg

After sanding
4331b56b3b525b531ff23bf4c280184b.jpgce1dc7cb38a2c7120bed2229b9aa6fb9.jpg3ece70497f6309bb3258b0d66bcd39ea.jpg

After compound and polish

45442e6c2b4382a7cf767482f4ee7dae.jpgd59ff8aa1fed9da83dbdeb0ed2782a2a.jpg

Gonna keep polishing and buffing to bring out more gloss but this was way easier than I anticipated. Thanks for everyone's tips and advice!

Looks good!

I know it was probably heartbreaking at first but much like the first scratch on a new car, the later ones will be less traumatic. The Novus polish set works wonders. My face plate got partially crushed in the overhead on the way back from SWC. I got it mostly fixed save for a few wrinkle lines.  Now it has character. ;)

Edited by Addertime
  • Like 1