R1TK Build (Jimmi)

Well BBB day came and in it came one of Jim's Rogue One Stormtrooper Kits.

y43XoAG.jpg

Here are all of the parts laid out, minus the helmet which has yet to arrive.

WZnT6SF.jpg

As most of you know it is made from flexible fiberglass but I didn't expect it to be as flexible as it is! And the detail is pretty good too.

G4ieTds.jpg

pFdf9mY.jpg

Needless to say I am excited. I have already done some trimming to fit and will be posting updates on my progress.

• Like 5

On 7/27/2017 at 6:04 AM, TK3645 said:

Hey Chris,

Following +1

Didn't realize these kits were now on sale? 

There's no sales thread on here or over on the RPF.

By chance how did you manage to come by the kit?

I sent him a PM here and then we ironed out the details via email. I was number 5 on the run and I believe he is doing 30 kits.

• Like 1

The helmet arrived today and the cast is pretty clean.

wNjugof.jpg

VRsnnRE.jpg

JWivUTN.jpg

The greeblies look pretty good too but I will probably change out the mic tips for some from Tony

zekWC03.jpg

To cut down on the itchiness inherent to fiberglass I lined the helmet with black and the armor pieces that would contact the undersuit with white.

ZgH3WVZ.jpg

EAiyxVw.jpg

Note: Don't be like me, wear gloves. I get excited sometimes and forget my PPE :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, cjkirk11 said:

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I used black and white plastidip, essentially it's just rubber in a can. 

Nice... i think i will apply this also on my helmet

Started to cut out the holes in the helmet today. My fingers need a break from all that filing! 

bQdgLVk.jpg

I used a dremel to rough out the openings and then did the rest with an assortment of small files

sdofdhl.jpg

c7mP2SK.jpg

I then went on to start the "bump" which has been mentioned in the CRL page. Not sure if I want to add any more to it. I am kinda happy with the rough shape of it for the time being, although I am open to opinions.

d5zkT54.jpg

I also started to wet sand the armor pieces to get them ready for paint.

Also I forgot to post pictures of the undersuit the other day so here they are.

v8uynyL.jpg?3

AX7vJ9T.jpg?2

If anyone wants better pictures of the undersuit I would be happy to take them for you.

• Like 1

Looking great.  I have to admit the thing that intimidates me the most about working on fiberglass is cutting out holes.  I don't think the files I used on my ABS bucket are going to do the job so I have to make up an excuse to hit the hardware store.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

Worked on the helmet a little bit today. I sprayed it with a couple coats of primer yesterday and then filled a good amount of the pin holes. Then I went about sanding the helmet down and took about 50% of the primer back off again. 

pALyasX.jpg

G8Bdgoo.jpg

Nsf4FIg.jpg

Now the helmet is super smooth and another couple coats are setting up on the helmet.

• Like 1

Hey man! Great job so far! It looks like you put the bump on the wearer's left eye, when it should be the viewers left eye. Sorry I didn't say that right when I brought it up. Should be wearer's right eye. 

Right, back with some updates. Work has been a little crazy but I have made some progress. I got a few coats of paint on the helmet but I'm not 100% satisfied so I will be ironing those details out this week.

k0Lfb38.jpg

v3ykxSJ.jpg

I also started to assemble a few things and cut the back of the thighs for a better fit.

PpuDDSV.jpg

EV6T4dA.jpg

sfGym6I.jpg

Principal painting began on the armor and right now I am a few coats in. I like to alternate primer color so I know how deep I am sanding, should the need arise.

GMv5O3I.jpg

SSIynpD.jpg

6uG83AA.jpg

I also ordered a few things so hopefully this project comes together in time for DragonCon, time permitting it will be the first outing in the armor.

Hey man! Are you intending on using a clear coat? I straight up painted half of my parts, and the abdomen got scratched up from the chest/back armor being worn with it. Is this because I didn't use a primer and clear coat?

You should always use some good primer, then a few coats good paint, followed by some clear coat. The clear coat is what protects the paint. And the primer is what lets the paint stick to whatever it is that you're painting.

There are some great tutorials on youtube for spray painting.

2 minutes ago, Par_ said:

Hey man! Are you intending on using a clear coat? I straight up painted half of my parts, and the abdomen got scratched up from the chest/back armor being worn with it. Is this because I didn't use a primer and clear coat?

Guest Glue & Construction?

Chris,  nice progress.  What glue did you decide to go with, CA or E600?  I'm also curious if you will build using the overlap method as Jim designed or whether you'll alter and use cover strips as the CRL requires for higher certification?  I'm leaning towards overlap for my build.  Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Guest Glue & Construction? said:

Chris,  nice progress.  What glue did you decide to go with, CA or E600?  I'm also curious if you will build using the overlap method as Jim designed or whether you'll alter and use cover strips as the CRL requires for higher certification?  I'm leaning towards overlap for my build.  Cheers.

For the glue I used JB Weld Clear Epoxy. CA glue and E6000 aren't the best for structural bonding in fiberglass in my opinion. And for Jim's armor modification to use cover strips would be less than ideal. The details on higher level certification aren't set in stone but to me it doesn't make sense to not allow Jim's armor at the highest level, especially since his is the only kit I know of that is based on the R1 armor.

Thanks for insight into glue, it's my first time with fiberglass. I agree with your thoughts on construction method and hope the final CRL will be adjusted to account for Jim's armor. I'm really pleased with the quality and detail. Thanks for the updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk