New Old Guy's build thread - ESB Trooper

rzill

It's Obi-Ron here - I recently re-introduced myself as someone who bought ATA armor five years ago, began the build, but got side tracked.

I have some stuff from back then that was already done, and wanted to post photos for critique.

First question: I have an already cut cover strip for the biceps.  It's a bit scratched - should I make a new one, or is this acceptable?

Second question:  Here is my nearly completed right bicep.  Aside from some needed buffing, what do you think?

Thanks!

post-32085-0-50372300-1497642191_thumb.jpg

post-32085-0-46496000-1497642192_thumb.jpg

post-32085-0-36138600-1497642193_thumb.jpg

Does ATA come with thumb prints on both bicepts? If not, then that's the left bicept. It's probably worth taking the cover strip off and removing a little more material from the raised edges? I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong! In terms of scratches, they're gonna happen. If not during the build, you'll get them when trooping. Hope this helpsf3f47fa77a9b2e70558ddb9fd3127720.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You have the right idea with inside coverstrips but I have to agree with Marc. The ridge needs to close in closer to coverstrips. If you can't shrink down the size for fitment then a wider coverstrip would be needed. I recommend you wear your compression top for final sizing and not over a T-Shirt. For the scuffs, try Novus polish to clean them up.If you don't like them then replace. Keep up the good work! ATA is a nice set.

Hey Ron welcome to the FISD. Both Marc and Randy have some great suggestions.

When test fitting your armor use a under suit for better accuracy. As Marc mentioned the return edges that run vertical, should almost fit under the outer cover strips however, this also depends on the size of your arms. Either way is acceptable at all levels of approval. That being said if your arms flop around inside the armor your might want to consider reducing the armor size as mentioned.

Scratches, what scratches? We call that battle worn lol. As Randy mentioned Novis polish 2 really works well to remove smaller scratches and gloss out the ABS.

Keep up the good work :jc_doublethumbup:  

• Like 1

To answer the first question, yes, this armor has thumbprints on both biceps - left and right.  Thanks for the tips on polish and the cover strips. Oh!  The ridge - I get it now.  I wasn't sure what was meant by that, but in the tutorial I am following on white armor, I now see where the ridge is.  And yes, I do need to remove them and trim it so the strips are closer to the ridge edges.  And I did try it on over the black under suit - I guess I have some more trimming to do around the top and bottom openings, because this is already a snug enough fit.  Cutting the butt ends down will make it pretty snug.

Thanks, guys!   :D

• Like 1

Normally cover strips meet the raised ridges, try to keep the front cover strips to the standard sizing and if you need more room add larger cover strips on the back, most won't see you from behind ;)

• Like 1

Another question - do the cover strips do all the work in holding the butt join together, or should I glue the butt join first?  When I had this finished the first time with both inside and outside strips, it seemed like it would hold without having first glued the butt join together.

One bicep is done, maybe with some adjustments.  Questions: I drew an arrow on one of the photos about a point of concern.  Do the butt joins need to be neat in this area?  They are behind the cover strips, and covered by the shoulders when worn all together, so I wonder if what I have is good enough for low level certification.  Also, are the cover strips covering the raised edges enough?

I welcome all feedback - thanks!

post-32085-0-55496500-1498329378_thumb.jpg

More pics - for some reason, even though my photos are under the size limit, I can't post them???

If you're having problems, download Tapatalk. You can post pics directly from your phone! I use it for most of my forum posts.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hopefully this works now. Ok, what do you think of the bicep? My concern is the top of the butt join. Does it need to be neat? Seems like it would be hidden anyway, even after trimming down the cover strip.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0d73f2211d84e6ad3aab692550f9f333.jpg4ef1f99fd8b18c27d3d56babc43a4dee.jpg

Edited by rzill

• 2 weeks later...

Great help so far, guys - thanks!  I am nearly done with the arms (aside from the snaps and straps, but a friend already in the 501st is helping me with those).  I'm sure they'll need some cleaning up, but while the strips are drying, I'm moving on.  So, I am starting to shape my thighs... no, I'm not Suzanne Somers - how often is that joke used on here?  Anyway, a question about the cover strips.  I'm watching a tutorial by Pandatrooper (Panda Props and Costumes).  He says the front cover strip for the thigh is 20 mm, but the width of the back strip should now be about 25 mm to match the width of the shin strips.  Is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Question - way back when I first began my build, I made a mistake and cut one of the butt join of the thighs too narrow.  It will leave a gap under the cover strip, since the strip should be 20mm, and the edge is only about 8mm, it is going to leave a large gap at the bottom front of the thigh.  Can this mistake be hidden if I use this one for the right thigh?  I thought it would be covered by the ammo belt that goes over the knee.

42 minutes ago, rzill said:

Can this mistake be hidden if I use this one for the right thigh?  I thought it would be covered by the ammo belt that goes over the knee.

Yes. If it's the right thigh it's not an issue, though I suggest strengthening the joint by adding a interior cover strip if needed. 

• Like 1

Yikes!  I can not find my helmet decals.  One thing that delayed my build was a flood in our area a few years ago.  It left me with a 2 1/2 foot flood of water in my basement, and my armor was in it.  Of course, it was easy to clean off, but my helmet decals were also in it.  I thought I salvaged them, but I can no longer find them.  I have ATA armor.  Does it matter what helmet decals I get for it?  Any suggestions?

If you're shooting for ANH Stunt either paint them yourself or head on over to trooperbay.com and buy yourself a set of "Dave M" decals. BTW trooperbay also has templates if you're not comfortable with making stencils by hand.    

I'm actually going ESB.  It's what I started with, so I'll stick with it.  Before, I simply had a sheet of decals - I don't think it was anything I had to paint.  But, if it's gone the way of painting, I'll probably get stencils.  I'd ruin it otherwise.  Thanks!

You guys are awesome, thanks!  Good news, I found my old decals, so I save a few bucks.  Thanks so much for the help!!  I'm working on this every day, slow but sure.  Almost done with the arms, so I'll be posting some pics when they are done.  Keep up with the advice, I appreciate it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Need some advice about the thigh issue.  This is my right thigh, so the bottom can be covered by the ammo pack.  However, I trimmed this too small, so this isn't the greatest looking cover strip.  Is it at least worthy of getting 501st accepted?  I'll never exactly be asked as an extra in a stand alone SW film, or get high level certification, I just want to troop!  I am also concerned about the cover strip side view not being 100% flush against the armor.  This is about the best I can do without actually buying new thighs, and starting over.  I know I still need to trim up the top, and pick out the glue buggers:  http://imgur.com/BIr1cPz     http://imgur.com/MJxSp2p

Edited by rzill