Rapstertee's AP Build - July 08[*AP]

Friday 8th August

Ordered some gloves and holster. The holster is being made by a friend out of leather, to look as accurate as poss. Will let you know how that turns out. Thegloves are fake nomex flight gloves from ebay, so they look the part but are much cheaper - I WILL get decent Nomex ones in future, but I need a complete costume asap.

All I really need now are CAboots. My shoe size is UK9.5 (US 10) - so I guess I need US 10's?? Anyone have a pair in reasonalbe condition that can purchese

I also painted my E11 today- four coats of grey primer and three coats of Satin Black. Looks nicer already!

But I'm going to do the drybrushing/weathering tomorrow - I love that stuff, so hopefully it'll look much nicer in the next few pics.

anyway, here's the pics of the blaster:

Image018.jpg

Image001-5.jpg

Image002-5.jpg

Image003-5.jpg

Image006-4.jpg

:)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELMET TWEAKING

Okay, I was looking at my lid and there were three slight problems with it:

1 - Brow trim too low, looking like a Hero helmet.

2 - Ear gap on right ear too big

3 - Neck trim too short - working loose.

SO I bit the bullet, and totally disassembled the lid, re-drilling holes for screws after repositioning the faceplate.

This was a scary thing to do because the ears, once trimmed, might never fit on well again.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say it was a total success:

1 - Brow trim higher now, I moved the faceplate down a bit. Also had to trim a tiny sliver of plastic off the cap too, just to help things. The trim is in SO tight now, it'll never move again!

2 - Ear gap - almost totally gone, i'd say reduced by ober 50% at least!

3 - Neck trim - because the head hole is now smaller from moving the faceplate, the circumference of the hole is reduced and my S shaped neck trim (thanks Troopermaster!) fits tightly in there now.

All I would criticise is that the head hole is so incredibly tight now, it's not easy to get my head in and out, even with a 90 degree twist. I wouldn't mind cutting it wider, but i dunno if i should risk it, as the lid is probably the best it'll be now. It's uber-tight, nice stunt height trim and the ears are near-perfect.

Troopermaster told me that the original troops in ANH didn't use any mesh in their frowns! from what I researched, the actors wore balaclavas to hide their faces. While i'd like to attain near-movie perfection, I'm not going to bake my head in there with a balaclava on, so i still need mesh. Anyone got some?

Plus, theres no room for a balaclava now! Are you crazy?!?

Sorry for not chiming in earlier - this is a fantastic thread and I can't wait for more pix. The paint job is fantastic. This is going to be one killer kit when you're done with it.

Troop on! :salute:

Sorry for not chiming in earlier - this is a fantastic thread and I can't wait for more pix. The paint job is fantastic. This is going to be one killer kit when you're done with it.

Troop on! :salute:

Thanks Daetrin - the FISD has become a second home to me. If not for the help, resources and people here, my dream of becoming a TK would have faded away by now. I'm 75% there - all i need is a little more time, help and advice and I'll be joining the ranks.

Terry this is coming out great! Glad i was able to help ya on a couple of things! keep at it, lookin great!

...and dont worry about wakin Lizzeh up at 7am, shes got no college now! she can stay up forever =P

Terry this is coming out great! Glad i was able to help ya on a couple of things! keep at it, lookin great!

Cheers Lou! Can I ask - what size strips did you use on the biceps and forearms? Also what glue - I have poly weld right now, but I'm told E6000 might be a better choice.

Tel

...and dont worry about wakin Lizzeh up at 7am, shes got no college now! she can stay up forever =P

Heyy I still like my sleep darnit!

And this is coming along real nice Terry :D

haha sleep is foir the dead Lizzeh! :lol:

Terry, i actually didnt do the strip method on the arms at all. i did just glue both sides though, as the one side glued and one side velcro looked horrible on the AP. i recommend Devcon Plastic weld. thats what i used for my FX and it held up great, for a few test runs and 1 official troop.

However for this kit, i was able to get a deal on some elmers fast set epoxy, from my job, so i gave that a go, sofar, so good, only one troop in it so far though. Inhave another this sunday coming so we shall see. im bringing some CA glue with me just incase lol.

8th Aug:

Bought VARIO pliers for my 15mm snaps - £10 ouch!

Ordered Caboots! Woohoo! smelly (well smellier) feet here i come!

Got a local TK coming over next week to show me about strapping system etc.

I've poly Welded the biceps together, overlapping method. seem to be ok, so far.

Got some ARALDITE (2-part epoxy) to fit my lenses in.

Drybrushing the E11:

Image018-1.jpg

Image023-1.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image026.jpg

Image025.jpg

more news later.....!

UPDATE:

Some problems...

My acrylic lenses won't glue in due to being curved differently, so i really don't know how to stick these in.

More worryingly --

Although I managed to glue my biceps together (with Poly Weld) successfully, the forearms won't go together. After a few hours clamped together, the two halves popped apart dry as a bone. no melting or anything, and I'd sanded the surfaces too!

I'm a bit annoyed. Should I persevere with Poly Weld, or go get Devcon Plastic Welder or E6000?

Help me, FISD, you're my only hope!

Hmm..if that happened, id try something else, the last thing you need is that happening when your wearing it! the plastic welder is def great. i hear the e6000is really good also, only thing is it need 24hrs to set. The devcon sets in i think 5minutes? but reaches 100% fullstrength in 24hrs. you can gently work with it though within an hour, so you can remove clamps and use them for another piece.

Hmm. As far as I know, you can't get Devcon Plastic Welder here in the UK. So I use E6000. Yes, it takes ages to cure, but is super-strong once it has. I've tried other things, but keep coming back to E6000.

Edit: well, it seems you can get the Devcon stuff here in the UK. But boy, it's expensive! £6 (that's US$12) for a 25ml syringe! For that, I can get a tube of E6000 which will glue together a complete set of armour!

UPDATE:

Some problems...

My acrylic lenses won't glue in due to being curved differently, so i really don't know how to stick these in.

Wouldn´t it be possible to use a heatgun or something to reshape them?

Wouldn´t it be possible to use a heatgun or something to reshape them?

I'm gonna try. I think i might get some foam strips to go inside the helmet, around the holes and glue the lenses to them, but yeah, they'll need a bit of re-shaping I think.

Hmm. As far as I know, you can't get Devcon Plastic Welder here in the UK. So I use E6000. Yes, it takes ages to cure, but is super-strong once it has. I've tried other things, but keep coming back to E6000.

Edit: well, it seems you can get the Devcon stuff here in the UK. But boy, it's expensive! £6 (that's US$12) for a 25ml syringe! For that, I can get a tube of E6000 which will glue together a complete set of armour!

Cheers Chris, I think I'll get some E6000 in the next week and see what it can do. This gluing process is turning into a trial and error thing which eats up cash, and I really want my armour to look good and be sturdy - unbreakable if possible. I'm disappointed at the poly weld stuff though.

Okay, E6000, here we go! :)

Ok terry i have updated my AP build library and also added words to the pictures now.heres the link hope it helps.

STUKATROOPERS AP BUILD 2008

Lots of work is going to have to be put into this mate best of luck.

Ok terry i have updated my AP build library and also added words to the pictures now.heres the link hope it helps.

STUKATROOPERS AP BUILD 2008

Lots of work is going to have to be put into this mate best of luck.

Cheers Matey. I'm getting the hang of this bit and like you said on your library, every part is something of a fight. Luckily I'm a fighter! Can I ask you wht lenses yo uput in? Is it sheet or acrylic? and if so, how did you affix them?

i always enjoy Stukas build logs! almost as much as i enjoy reading "English" as opposed to American ;)

are the parts still happily married? :)

:D yes i did use that word once or twice lol,must come up with another ?????

10 August

Just went to B&Q (Us Brits version of Home Depot, I guess)

Found a 'work belt' - made of 2" webbing witha plastic clasp/buckle - perfect for holding the thigh suspender things!

Only £3 ($6)

here it is:

Image009-2.jpg

Image008copy.jpg

quick recap:

Where I'm at today (10th Aug):

Biceps - Done

Forearms - Done

Drop Boxes - Done

Hand Plates - Done

Butt - separated and connecrted to kidney plate with elastic straps

Shins - need velcro but otherwise done

Thighs - not done

Lid - complete apart from frown mesh and internal pads

(recently widened the neck hole so its less painful to put on!)

Voice kit - nearly done, needs fitting into chest, mic into lid.

Boots, Holster, Gloves - on the way

shoulder straps - glued to chest

random pics:

Image000-5.jpg

Image001-6.jpg

Image003-6.jpg

Image002-6.jpg

Image004-4.jpg

Image005-4.jpg

(My room looks like a thermal detonator went off - stormtrooper bits everywhere!)

Ok, today is 15th August...EXACTLY one month since my AP kit arrived.

I'd say I'm 80 - 85% completed. Heres what I've done so far:

Biceps - Done

Forearms - Done

Drop Boxes - Done

Hand Plates - Done

Butt - separated and connected to kidney plate with elastic straps

Shins - 1 needs velcro and both need slight trimming to fit. Also needs Knee plate fitted.

(My RIGHT leg is perfect in shape and fit, the LEFT is not playing ball at all!)

Thighs - all 4 strips (front & back x2) are affixed. Need to close em up now. Then Trim to fit.

Also need to fit Knee boxes.

Bucket - complete apart from frown mesh (on the way - thanks Ghost!)

Added sponge pad to top of head.

Removed acrylic lenses, added Stukatrooper's acetate sheet. Nice n tight.

Voice kit - nearly done, needs fitting into chest, mic into lid.

Holster, Gloves - Received. Holster is PVC but pretty good, Gloves are leather palmed Nomex lookalikes. (see pic)

Image005-5.jpg

Blaster - Hasbro - Modded, painted and weathered.

Boots - CAboots - on the way

Shoulder straps - glued to chest

Abs - connected front to back after reheating the ab plate and bending into better shape.

Image002-7.jpg

Added 1 1/2" (38mm) shims to both sides, and large white elastic straps to join them together.

Image001-7.jpg

Image003-7.jpg

I plan to fill and sand the obvious join of the shim, and put 6 rivets in to look the part. Seems to work well - i can put the ab/butt/kidney piece on easily now like a pair of shorts.

I'll be getting a visit in 2 days from 2 UKG troopers who will help me work out my snaps n straps system. Then when my CAboots arrive...I'll be posing for my clearance pics!