A TE2 Build[*TE]

edlitmus

I came home to a beautiful sight today!

2654359076_913897104a.jpg

This is a set for my wife (who can fit into it. I alas have to loose a few... :(

I will try and post pics of my progress as I go, and I will keep a Flickr set of the pics updated here:

TE2 Armor Set

This is going to be fun, if a bit nerve wracking! :D

Thanks Mr. X!!!!

No sooner had I unpacked the armor to bask in its glory then I realized: I have no idea how to trim this stuff. I am used to ABS, not HIPS!

2655105551_e8ce9f552c.jpg

Oh noes! What to do? Ask the man himself, naturally!

Q: Should I use a utility knife or can I use a dremel?

Mr. X: "I use both - however, I'm very old school and the majority of my serious trimming is done with a good old Xacto knife (and plenty of sharp blades)."

And:

Mr. X: "Also, sandpaper, sandpaper, sandpaper. I usually start out smooth the edges with a 100 grit. Then finish up with 250 or 300. I've never had to use primer to paint the body armor but you can if you wish. The Rustoleum Professional Glossy White has become my favorite paint. TE recommended that or KRYLON Fusion."

Sweet! Now I know. And knowing is half the battle! Yo Joe! (Sorry, I'm always a bit goofy in the morning...)

Trimming begins this evening. I'm thinking of starting on smaller pieces first (hand back, thermal det, etc). See you then!

Treat it like ABS but just be a little more gentle with it.The HIPS will not flex as much as ABS.Keep away from the dremel.

Take a look at my TM build if you havnt already lots of questions answered for you.

STUKATROOPERS TM BUILD

I've found that HIPS is more difficult to score and snap than ABS as it tries to tear. I haven't had any problems using a dremel on it though, in fact it's my favorite tool.

When trimming HIPS, I always used tin snips to cut the majority of the flashing off the armour. I then used the sanding drum on my Dremel to fine tune the edges and scrapped off the rough bits with a Stanley knife. After that I'd finish off with some fine sandpaper for a nice smooth edge.....job done :D

I use the same method for ABS BTW.

Also, have you seen how well Rolfs' TE2 armour has shined up with just polishing it? Looks fantastic if you ask me and better than going to the trouble of painting it!

Okay! As soon as I got off work I started working on the smaller pieces; handbacks, forearms and upper arms.

First a word of caution: wear gloves when trimming armor, or this might happen to you:

2657392908_3a868980c9.jpg

That circular scar used to not be there. It hurt. A lot. Okay, enough about that...

Handbacks:

Marked:

2656567155_2946ec9de9.jpg

Scored:

2657394762_5ebb813680.jpg

2657395364_e6834c90b6.jpg

Ready to be sanded:

2656569933_83e2bc6a30.jpg

The upper arms were a little tricky. The one on the left in the next pic is easy to see where to trim, but the other is a little bit tricky, so I had to do it by eye:

2657401472_07b54975bb.jpg

The same thing happens with the forearm pieces, one side is easy to see where to trim, the other not so much.

Tomorrow I start on the calves and thighs! :D

Man, I cant wait to go to work on my armor(s)... :D

All that plastic... MMMMM....

And you are in Illinois... Man it dosen't get any better!

No sooner had I unpacked the armor to bask in its glory then I realized: I have no idea how to trim this stuff. I am used to ABS, not HIPS!

2655105551_e8ce9f552c.jpg

Oh noes! What to do? Ask the man himself, naturally!

Q: Should I use a utility knife or can I use a dremel?

Mr. X: "I use both - however, I'm very old school and the majority of my serious trimming is done with a good old Xacto knife (and plenty of sharp blades)."

And:

Mr. X: "Also, sandpaper, sandpaper, sandpaper. I usually start out smooth the edges with a 100 grit. Then finish up with 250 or 300. I've never had to use primer to paint the body armor but you can if you wish. The Rustoleum Professional Glossy White has become my favorite paint. TE recommended that or KRYLON Fusion."

Sweet! Now I know. And knowing is half the battle! Yo Joe! (Sorry, I'm always a bit goofy in the morning...)

Trimming begins this evening. I'm thinking of starting on smaller pieces first (hand back, thermal det, etc). See you then!

As the Master himself told me... :mellow:

"Don't forget: Lines of illusion, that's the secret."

T :salute:

As the Master himself told me... :mellow:

"Don't forget: Lines of illusion, that's the secret."

Yes, sir! I am paying close attention to those lines, I think those are the real secret to the proper look.

When trimming HIPS, I always used tin snips to cut the majority of the flashing off the armour. I then used the sanding drum on my Dremel to fine tune the edges and scrapped off the rough bits with a Stanley knife. After that I'd finish off with some fine sandpaper for a nice smooth edge.....job done :D

I use the same method for ABS BTW.

Also, have you seen how well Rolfs' TE2 armour has shined up with just polishing it? Looks fantastic if you ask me and better than going to the trouble of painting it!

Besides the tin snips that troopermaster recommends, I use a pair of modeling scissors that I purchased from HOBBY COMPANY. They're curved.

20080710007gc5.jpg

The guys who do radio-controlled cars highly recommended them. I NEVER leave home without them... :P

20080710006jv8.jpg

I even have a pair of titanium coated scissors. :rolleyes:

Not too much progress to report as I have been busy all weekend trooping for a fan film, but I did manage to get the left thigh trimmed and the front glued:

2666140870_006e6337b2.jpg

I will have to shim the back a bit, but I am going to wait until I have more done elsewhere before I get to that. I can't believe how skinny those actors must have been. There is no way I could fit into this suit. (sniff...)

Ah, well. I can live vicariously through my wife. :lol:

Man, I just *love* build threads, and a TE2 one to boot? I'm so on this :)

Did you see oneal's AP tutorial on http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=3404 ? That should help as well.

Man, I just *love* build threads, and a TE2 one to boot? I'm so on this :)

Did you see oneal's AP tutorial on http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=3404 ? That should help as well.

Yeah, that's a good one. I am pretty much following every build thread I can to get ideas and advice. This suit is much trickier than anything I have done to date. I want to be sure to get it right! :D

The helmet arrived the other day (thanks 4510! you do amazing work!) and I got it painted!

2685495249_5cabb32dac.jpg

2686307412_92cc200129.jpg

I also managed to finish the upper arms.

2686310600_9495c7b825.jpg

2685498145_ffc6be3e38.jpg

I'm getting the shin pieces going and trimming the big pieces later today.

2685499331_fa8c71abc5.jpg

Once I get all the pieces trimmed and the edges sanded, I will move on to paint. One question, what are everyone's thought on using primer or not? I know there have been some issues with paint flaking off, would primer help? Or is the flaking due to using the wrong paint? I'm planing on using Rustoleum Professional for the whole suit and giving it a nice long cure time. If anyone has thoughts on the primer vs no primer and flaking problems, please chime in!

You should "lightly" sand and primer to prevent flaking. It will help by making a "bond". Plenty of info on that arround here.

For those who are going to use an "airgun" to paint with, i would suggest adding a flexorizer to the paint to prevent cracking of the paint if the armor was to bend while dressing up and trooping.