new pack build

A Kiwi HWT!  Awesome!  Looking forward to your build, Josh, but one quick note if I may... the pauldron goes on the right, the ammo pack on the left.  

Hey bought some boxes cheap if no good will just use for storage. Opinion on scale etc? Cocktail mixer may be replaced, well it all could haha! Be honest I know you guys are!! post-17968-147604045766_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Josh, the box dimensions look pretty close however, they should have straight sides, these appeared to be bowed out. If at the end of the day they look correct, then I say yes you're good to go. keep in mind the boxes need to look squared.

Not sure if you're using the smaller pvc pipe (antenna) or it's just there as a reference but it should be 2"

As for the measuring container, if you plan on dressing it up to look correct then I don't see why you can't use it as a base.

For the main "radio" box, I would stick with the photo storage box that Tony has in his HWT pack build thread.  Yes, it is cardboard, but to make it more sturdy I hit all the edges with electrical tape before painting it.  It really is the ideal size, and it has held up great with no problems after dozens and dozens of troops, (and getting banged around a lot, LOL).  You can find them at Michael's craft store, but you will have to ask where they are.  For some reason, they hide them out of the way.

• Like 1

For the main "radio" box, I would stick with the photo storage box that Tony has in his HWT pack build thread.  Yes, it is cardboard, but to make it more sturdy I hit all the edges with electrical tape before painting it.  It really is the ideal size, and it has held up great with no problems after dozens and dozens of troops, (and getting banged around a lot, LOL).  You can find them at Michael's craft store, but you will have to ask where they are.  For some reason, they hide them out of the way.

lol, the reason they're hard to find is probably because they're for storing photographs. Since physical photographs have almost become extinct to most they tend to hide the boxes in the back of the store since they're not in high demand. If asking for help at a store just ask for a photo box as Joseph mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought seriously about padding out the 1 inch wide nylon straps as you did, Josh, but I was afraid they would sit on top of the shoulder bridges and/or shoulder bell and cause them to crack from the weight of the pack.  I ended up not doing it, so the straps sit between the connections and there is no possibility of this happening.  However, it does get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours.  Do they seem to work for you?  If so, I might consider this, especially for long troops.

• Like 1

I had the issue of the chest and back plates digging into my skin from the weight of my pack. I actually just put some foam between my shoulders and the under suit. This made a huge difference for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the nice padded straps that are curved inward from a L.L. Bean backpack. They curve right under my chest plate and came with a strap with quick clip. I never feel the weight of the pack. You need this Joseph!

Edited by magni
  • Like 1

I thought seriously about padding out the 1 inch wide nylon straps as you did, Josh, but I was afraid they would sit on top of the shoulder bridges and/or shoulder bell and cause them to crack from the weight of the pack. I ended up not doing it, so the straps sit between the connections and there is no possibility of this happening. However, it does get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours. Do they seem to work for you? If so, I might consider this, especially for long troops.

Yeah they need a bit of adjustment. But I put them under the armour. I put on the chest and back and then put the shoulders on over the top of the straps. It needs some refining but I seem to have a good range of movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought seriously about padding out the 1 inch wide nylon straps as you did, Josh, but I was afraid they would sit on top of the shoulder bridges and/or shoulder bell and cause them to crack from the weight of the pack.  I ended up not doing it, so the straps sit between the connections and there is no possibility of this happening.  However, it does get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours.  Do they seem to work for you?  If so, I might consider this, especially for long troops.

I had the same issue.  One time I placed the straps on the shoulder bells and it popped the snaps off my shoulder bells.

I did just received some shoulder strap pads that have velcro on them, so I can easily take them off and put them on.  Going to try them out by putting the pack on before my shoulder bells, so the pack straps stay under the shoulder bell straps.  Hopefully this works.