Alay's ANH Stunt build (AP, first build)

Alay

I've been approved by my GML!  Just waiting on my LMO to final approve me!

I want to thank Ray, the GML from the CT Garrison, for taking the time and going through my submission!  You're the best :)  I've included some pictures so others can also see the issue exactly.

Shoulders:  The bells appear to be turned slightly forward which makes the gap in the back look larger than the front and uneven.  This looks like a dressing/shift issue as opposed to any problem with how it's trimmed but something to note for future wear.

The gap in the back they create:

2ofExBs.png

Them rolled forward

pxtzpPB.png

The solution here, I think, is to adjust the strapping to pull more towards the back and see if that corrects it.  If not, then I may add a second strap to the upper backpiece.

Biceps:  These were also a smidge high but again a dressing/shift issue.

This has been a reoccurring issue for me...

Red line is about how far down they should be...

EnG2bJE.png

The problem I believe is that they ride up over time because the hook catch for the shoulder bell strap isn't big enough and not doing its job of "seating" the biceps.  I'm going to make that large and see if it helps.

Thermal Detonator:  This appears to be turned a little "high" with the controls at the top and the round washer detail mostly obscured.  I've typically seen these more with the controls towards the back and the round washer detail clearly visible.  You may want to consider rotating it as such.

In addition to Ray's suggestion, the clips are also too far from the end caps for EIB/Centurion.

jVOEVXh.png

I will need to move those clips over/reduce the length a little, as well as rotate it down slightly.

Thighs:  The armor appears to be trimmed a bit large here and I'm concerned that you might be uncomfortable when walking.  Also, the left and right appear to be uneven, though I think that's a dressing/shift issue again.  You may want to consider giving yourself some more room in those pieces in the future.

My thighs have a few issues with them.  As Ray points out, they're large for me.  

YXKEwaq.png

I'm going to pull apart the back cover strip and trim about an inch off one side then reglue so I'm not swimming in them as much.

In addition, I believe the shin armor needs some padding to get rid of that awful misaligned look.

Further, I want to cut a chunk out of both the shin and the thigh so I can actually walk around without them clanking against one another.  

7DXgCYm.png

This reduces film accuracy but since this is a costume I will be Trooping in, comfort is the preference.

Further, since I reshaped my butt plate to be smaller, I need to bring the angle cut higher again.  Otherwise it causes this overlap both ways on the thighs.

zGH3Zp3.png

The blue circle should have an angle cut at about 45 degrees.

• Like 1

Nope. I've tried to get my glasses in and out of the helmet and it's not easy. I've decided to go glass free when I'm in the gear... but yeah, I might go the contacts route also when my annual comes up at Christmas time.

If you want to, look in the build thread of Novak Dimon´s TK-build. He wears also glasses and he is very clever. He uses his glases, when he was in the german army.

In the A-B-C - Mask he had, were also glasses and he put them in his bucket. Maybe in the states is a similliar system for people who need glases.

Here is his solution:

F5C852D4-01FF-43CF-B604-E018F3F06519_zps

Edited by Lupus1202
  • Like 2

First fix; the thighs.

I know some in other threads have been asking about gluing before sizing.  Here's how great E6000 is.

Butter knife I gently slide under the strip at the top of the seam

ZzP3bcq.jpg

Peels right off.  Then just pull the glue off both and you're good to go :)

qGCCPcQ.jpg

I cut about 1/2" off both sides of the inside of the back butt join

c1XKgo3.jpg

Then I cut an area out of the back for my leg to have more movement

F45ueMH.jpg

Regluing both sides, I'll post some fittings when they're dry :)

64AVWvI.jpg

• Like 2

Legs fit a lot better not... still need to remove a pinch points on the back and probably change the butt plate a little.

CCDQjgg.jpg

I can walk a lot nicer now too with the cut holes in the back of the thigh/shins.

tDzYShB.jpg

Still need to fix the biceps... they just love creeping upward.

Oh, yeah, I'm TK-20466 now ;)

• Like 2

Legs fit a lot better not... still need to remove a pinch points on the back and probably change the butt plate a little.

CCDQjgg.jpg

I can walk a lot nicer now too with the cut holes in the back of the thigh/shins.

tDzYShB.jpg

Still need to fix the biceps... they just love creeping upward.

Oh, yeah, I'm TK-20466 now ;)

With the biceps, do you have a strap connecting the bottom of the bicep to the elbow part of the forearm? I forgot if you did that or not. It may help with keeping that guy pulled down a bit if you haven't fixed the issue yet.

• Like 1

With the biceps, do you have a strap connecting the bottom of the bicep to the elbow part of the forearm? I forgot if you did that or not. It may help with keeping that guy pulled down a bit if you haven't fixed the issue yet.

I sure do, but it doesn't seem to keep enough tension to seat it down properly.  I might add an abs "catch" to the inside of the shoulder bell so the bicep cannot physically move higher if tightening the forearm strap doesn't work.

I think in one of Tony's build threads he talks about the space in the relaxed state of the forearm and bicep without being worn. I wonder if your strap is too long. Anyway, it sounds like you might have it covered, good times!

Got contacts yesterday before my first troop and they worked out great. I also moved the fans into the chin area a bit for better circulation so I could hear (at least a tiny bit) with them on.

Looks like we're about winding down on this thread. Shoulder/bicep fixes should be coming this week, I need to fix a few pinch points still, then I'll be set to submit for EIB.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wooo got my level 2!  Along with some great feedback from Ukswrath :)

Lets get to work on fixing it up for Level 3 and for the convention tomorrow!

First problem; my butt is weirdly shaped and slides under the thighs

DfahAeB-crop.jpg

Cricket pointed this one out first.

As you may remember from previously, I cut the width of the butt plate but did nothing with the vertical size.

Using my husband's AP butt plate as a guide (which is trimmed to full out of the box size currently) I figured out some "rules" about the shape of the butt.

For example, the side after the last angled taper is 3 inches down from the return edge.  So I marked that area

5SPkPeh.jpg?1

Mirroring these marks on both sides (and adding a bit of eye balling... not ashamed to say!) I cut along these paths and recreated much of the shape of the original piece:

5mC3qOE.jpg?1

Here's my butt piece put inside my husbands so you can see the difference in sizes:

yxlupMz.jpg?1

We need to take come off the back of the thighs too, but that will have to wait for another day...  Here's it suited up!

c5E0Rr1.jpg?1

Edited by Alay
  • Like 1

Lets fix those darn rotating shoulders.

From the EIB thread:

DfahAeB-cropb.jpg

Shoulder bells is the back could use a little adjustment, evenly spacing the gap between the chest and back plates will balance out your armor. 

First thing I should note is my shoulders are naturally rolled in like that, so best we can do is try to bandaid the problem a bit ;)

The bicep change below helped it as well, but the major change was shortening up the elastic strap at the top.

New ones on top, old ones below

Cqjerak.jpg?1

That seemed to mostly do the trick... now for the biceps.

From EIB submission:

MGxVgfZ-cropb.jpg

raise it slightly so the gap between it and the bicep are equal between the left and right sides and finally

I don't know if you noticed by I have TINY arms!  The biceps move around a ton...

First thing I did here was cut out a nice sized chunk of foam (you can get this stuff cheap at Joann Fabrics) and added velcro to it.

KMxmqND.jpg?1

I cut a similarly sized piece and added it to the inside of the bicep

vkCpNtn.jpg?1

Without undersuit it has a nice light snugness to it.  With the undersuit on it sits quite snug and doesn't move much; perfect!

iTGVsSo.jpg?1

Finally, for tomorrow I've decided to use a small mic inside the helmet instead of my normal throat mic.  I think the throat mic distortion is a tad too high (or at least my husband says so anyways...)

Velcros right in and doesn't get in the way.  I'll be using it with the iComm and a PTT cable ran to my arm tomorrow.

DgDMSpN.jpg?1

All together!

v4a8NAl.jpg?1

Right side still needs a little bit of work, but the left is on point.

4NUp0jN.jpg?1

• Like 2

I've just ordered a pair of those glove liners - I was wondering what I was going to do about sweating under the rubber ones, those seem perfect. Thank you!

They work great!

I would suggest not using rubber gloves at all for Trooping though, as Nomex gloves are sooo much more comfortable, and also work on smartphones.  

• Like 1

Ate you hearing any noise from the fans over the mic with them being so close together?

A bit, but not too awful; I'm running the mic on a push-to-talk and the fans have an on-off switch in the back of the helmet.  I also don't leave the fans running non-stop, just when I get overheated or need to combat some claustrophobia from feeling my warm breath in the bucket.  If you're running fans 24/7 (Arizona troopers, for example ;) ) you might want to go the route of a throat mic to avoid interference.

• Like 1

Great job on the fixes! The shoulder bells look amazing as well as the ah hmm, the butt.

Thanks :) I added new hooks to the biceps and they worked great all weekend!

Now that I'm done with the con it's time to repair what went astray and submit for Centurion!  wooooo

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally buffed out all the nerf dart marks... time for Centurion!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/39147-tk-20466-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap/

Hopefully I got everything there. I took in the wrists a bit more but honestly there's not much more I can take off without completely removing that last indent button.

After that... I think I'm going to start a conversion to Heavy Weapons Trooper

• Like 3