I got a 3D printer, now what?

Daetrin

So I got a daVinci Pro 3D Printer as a going-away gift from my team (thanks team!), but now am wondering what to print with it. Does anyone pointers to files I can download that are SW related to get me started?

Hi :)

I have that same printer :)

Im currently printing an F11-D and a First Order Helmet, and wil be printing an entire First Order armor if I get my way :)

there are a lott of files listed here, just do a search for 3d print or 3d model, and there should come some stuff upp,

otther then that, google has been my friend :)

if you need to split bigger files into the 20X20X20 cm build aerea of your printer, Netfabb basic is a fre and awesome program :)

I'm waiting on one too. Reys blaster is high on my list for my daughter. They're a good one on my mini factory.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/star-wars-nl-44-reys-blaster-17422

The AT-AT is amazing too but need to see that will fit my printer.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/detailed-at-at-17606

Awesome responses!

KaiserW: wrt http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:868160- I'll give these a go. Actually I'm grateful for the site link. As a test run my daughter selected a small cat, which printed successfully. I found a Han Solo blaster and a Millenium Falcon. Greatest site ever!

2. Michael - thanks for the link to the TDH. My printer is smaller so couldn't do it all, but I could do some of these at least.

3. Brian - for sure will give printing my own small blaster a go, just to see how it works.

4. Chris - Like you I'll see what fits in the printer.

Thanks for everyone else's thoughts. I feel like it was back in the 90's when I got my first ink-jet printer. Good ones were +$1000 and the fact that you could buy your own for $300 or so at the time was ground-breaking. $600 is still a lot today, but considering you can get one at all at this price is amazing. I'm sure ones that do high detail that you could actually print our armor pieces for $500 aren't that far away. I look forward to how far they'll come in the next 10 years. Big Hero 6? ;)

• Like 2

Size can be worked around for some stuff by scaling or by cutting up bits further.

Autocad have a whole raft of free tools. 123D Design is good for geometric stuff as is Fusion 360 which is a bit more full featured (and free for enthusiasts). Meshmixer is also useful for tweaking, cutting up and fixing models.

I also have blender which is very high end capability wise but I've not started down that way as the auto desk stuff is better for what I've been doing.

Steep learning curve though.

2. Michael - thanks for the link to the TDH. My printer is smaller so couldn't do it all, but I could do some of these at least.

Actually, mine is 230 X 150 X 140, so I cut up the big ones like the jetpack to small manageable pieces. If you look for my build thread, I posted a link to the files on my Google Drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I use Rhino3D, and highly recommend it. If you can get a student discount they have a really great deal.

Some example rendering of parts I have done.

Personally I am in the process of  building my new printer and need to collect files for armor to make some for my kids. Build volume will be 470mmx435mmx690mm when built, so he build platform should be able to handle an adult size let alone making some  armor for my kids..