Pyrates and the March to EIB & Centurion

Pyrates

When working on resin cast parts you have to go slow and take your time - so that if you hit an air bubble it doesn't create more problems for later repair.

I scribed center marks on the centers of the lens area so my drill bit doesn't skip around when starting to remove material.

c9c484811133ca9c4f94bba4dd616e63.jpg

I've drilled out the front lens of the scope with just enough space to house the new glass lens and an extra 1/8" space in behind so that if light hits it from the front you don't see the resin in behind.

Next, I scribed mark locations so when I go to reattach and glue the front scope lens it will match up and not sit askew.

cfbf6b88508fd956f0f6f20fc312a5b9.jpg

4d9b0d09c77ec9c502922c57eea4afe9.jpg

Using a mini hacksaw I finished removing the front lens so I can insert the lens from inside and not affect the visible detail from the front view.

3742525c60034de5a45ddbbd9d54e586.jpg

• Like 2

When working on resin cast parts you have to go slow and take your time - so that if you hit an air bubble it doesn't create more problems for later repair.

I scribed center marks on the centers of the lens area so my drill bit doesn't skip around when starting to remove material.

c9c484811133ca9c4f94bba4dd616e63.jpg

I've drilled out the front lens of the scope with just enough space to house the new glass lens and an extra 1/8" space in behind so that if light hits it from the front you don't see the resin in behind.

Next, I scribed mark locations so when I go to reattach and glue the front scope lens it will match up and not sit askew.

cfbf6b88508fd956f0f6f20fc312a5b9.jpg

4d9b0d09c77ec9c502922c57eea4afe9.jpg

Using a mini hacksaw I finished removing the front lens so I can insert the lens from inside and not affect the visible detail from the front view.

3742525c60034de5a45ddbbd9d54e586.jpg

Good point. Also a small pilot hole can help the bigger drill bit sit in place.

Marc

• Like 1

Good point. Also a small pilot hole can help the bigger drill bit sit in place.

Marc

Cheers mate! That's exactly what I did to start removing resin from the scope lens in the back !

Beat me to the punch lol

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Awesome to hear from you again brother, and thank you!!!

I'm always still hanging around the FISD forums

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm always still hanging around the FISD forums

Hard to believe it was almost a year ago we were all hanging around in the holding dock waiting for that email from Mark at AP - ahhh epic times.

• Like 1

Hard to believe it was almost a year ago we were all hanging around in the holding dock waiting for that email from Mark at AP - ahhh epic times.

Too right. T'was your thread we stuck around too. I'll be submitting for Centurion before January's out.

• Like 1

Too right. T'was your thread we stuck around too. I'll be submitting for Centurion before January's out.

With some luck, I'm hoping to finish this thread before the end of January as well.

Then finally get those patches I ordered months ago onto my TK bomber jacket!

• Like 1

Aaron........where have you been? Your work in the field has been amazing mate. A true inspiration

Marc

Thank you brother - fist bump !

I'm always here, just lurking in the shadows when things are hectic. I have been busy in my attaché responsibilities traveling my AOR (area of responsibility - over 3000km/ 1864 miles logged so far lol) helping new and old troopers build armor.

Occasionally squeezing in a troop here and there too with regular life in between.

• Like 1

Moving along, moving along

I cleaned up the scope after drilling out the sections I needed to mount the lenses and added some more black gloss paint to hide any minor visible imperfections.

a4c64d048a9f676feef1822e579f6a99.jpg

b923cfa19247ef64dfcb84a538ff04ba.jpg

Next I wanted to take details a step further with the front of the scope - time to add some real screws!

a97b3521dffccc084ab31b85bee0cbad.jpg

98c1fad12a3c5290db6ab5e6e050f5f4.jpg

To ensure no dust or damage occurred to my paint job I covered it up with some painters tape and began to remove the old details using a Dremel and a drill.

While that's drying over the next 24 hours, let's start to clean up the counter in preparation for connection wires to the power cells.

886eda54ebf49597c28025b2ac645039.jpg

a62e8d9cec692d4aab92446878199dc6.jpg

1bf8786abd8dea5d257adeebb9d1e5ca.jpg

I'm glad to see you back in action on your work, and hopefully will have some Centurion upgrades of my own soon.

Keep up the great work - and keep the pics coming!

• Like 1

I'm glad to see you back in action on your work, and hopefully will have some Centurion upgrades of my own soon.

Keep up the great work - and keep the pics coming!

Many humble thanks brother!

Here we go - more blaster scope progress!

With the lens glued in and allowed 24 hours to cure, it was time to re-attach to the main body.

I gave both bonding surfaces a once over with a fine tipped wire brush so the CA glue will anchor well when the two pieces get joined back together.

7c2f2f963df5bec42a8c2f819d3716af.jpg

Time for glue...

c3897b03175a0651e8b5b3fe284da21b.jpg

df688ebebeb5cb8971969ebb5e9eb3dd.jpg

I then allowed another 24 hours for the glue to set - which is way over kill, but for those that have come to know me, I'm never in that much of a hurry and it's better to be safe then sorry.

Edited by Pyrates