OPERATION OMG REBUILD!!!!

I got all weak kneed at the shinyness... That baby might pass the "can you see the guy taking the picture test"...

Recastastic still cracks me up... :lol:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everybody. Its really turning out nice so far. Now unfortunately, we will need to let the nice thick paint cure for a week. Thats the rub with this stuff.

I got some really nice CAP decals to go on it (thanks Chris). For those who dont know, the decals are copies of the SDS decals. Probably the nicest cleanest looking ones yet.

I do have to say though. I am having issues with the idea of painting the inside black. How can anyone cleanly mount anything inside without messing up the black? I will have to investigate this further.

I bought some accurate neck trim from webers, so the necks gonna rock too.

This is gonna be like LOTR,....."MY PRECIOUS!!!" I aint gonna wanna send it back to you Kent!!! Nah, seriously though.....You will like it, I think....I hope. :)

Mike

Yeah Recastastic's funny as hell. :) You get better dude. Didnt know about your jaw, ouch. Godd to hear the bike is OK. Its probably an expensive bike huh?

I got all weak kneed at the shinyness... That baby might pass the "can you see the guy taking the picture test"...

Recastastic still cracks me up... :lol:

Thanks everybody. Its really turning out nice so far. Now unfortunately, we will need to let the nice thick paint cure for a week. Thats the rub with this stuff.

I got some really nice CAP decals to go on it (thanks Chris). For those who dont know, the decals are copies of the SDS decals. Probably the nicest cleanest looking ones yet.

I do have to say though. I am having issues with the idea of painting the inside black. How can anyone cleanly mount anything inside without messing up the black? I will have to investigate this further.I bought some accurate neck trim from webers, so the necks gonna rock too.

This is gonna be like LOTR,....."MY PRECIOUS!!!" I aint gonna wanna send it back to you Kent!!! Nah, seriously though.....You will like it, I think....I hope. :)

Mike

Ouch, a whole week :)

Would be really cool if it was black on the inside, but it's up to you :)

Hehe, I will be worried the entire trip for it to get here..... and this helmet will be GREAT and there is no way I won't LOVE it :D

NOOB QUESTION:

Why paint in the inside black? What's the benefit?

Not a noob question at all. It just looks more cosy, and some people believe it makes looking in harder. Other people have it black in there as a cool design, they often pimp the inside with stuff to make it look even cooler.

Personally I wouldn't mind having it black in there as it looks cooler, more expensive... and it's quite unusual, as most people have a white inside.

I see. You said some people believe it makes it harder to see into, does it? I imagine that once it's on and there is a head inside, it might be difficult to see into either way.

I prefer to leave it in white so any signatures reamin intact. But thats just me.

Owning that helmet would be a dream come true to most of us.

Excellent work, I've never been more impressed with a lid-build.

I see. You said some people believe it makes it harder to see into, does it? I imagine that once it's on and there is a head inside, it might be difficult to see into either way.

I've read that people do, but I don't. If you use proper stuff, no one can see in, not even with a flashlight pointing right in your eye... I use 2 sheets of that sun blocker screen thingy for cars behind the bubble lense of my tk helmet and it's impossible to see in. Seeing out is no problem at all.

Well I couldn't wait and broke my own rule. Always wait 5 days after painting helmet for it to cure. Although the helmet has been sitting for 4 days its still soft, I decided to go ahead. I was careful though and painted the frown and ears. I held the helmet carefully in my lap. Using Humbrol ad gray 5 (mix well) and a fine tipped brush for the frown. Larger standard brush for the ears.

100_8106.jpg

100_8107.jpg

100_8108.jpg

100_8109.jpg

100_8110.jpg

100_8111.jpg

100_8112.jpg

100_8113.jpg

100_8114.jpg

100_8115.jpg

SAAAAAA-WWWWWWEEEEETTTT!!!!!! That is super spiff-ola!

I was wondering about painting the inside of the helmet black. Could it be that it actually makes seeing out of it easier on the eyes? It seems to me if I have a bright white bucket over my head with two little holes I'm gonna see a LOT of white, and a little bit of outside. If it's black inside, suddenly the eyeholes become the focus. Just a thought.

Thanks guys. I have decided not to paint the inside of the helmet. I have never had any problems with the helmet being white inside. I will probably use decals on the helmet. I have some really nice ones from CAP still.

Mike