AP ESB BUILD[*AP]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike great pics almost like a video,mmm now theres a thought.

One thing that has crossed my mind with all your build threads is the quality of the pictures,what camera are you useing.The pics are as clear close up as they are from afar

I have thought about doing a few videos and putting them on youtube. But I am way too lazy for that. :)

The camera is a kodak p880 with a wide angle lens. Its a great point and shoot camera. My only complaints are shutter lag and crummy built in flash. It has a bazillion features and all I ever use is macro and auto :)

Today we finish this bad boy up. Before I begin I just wanna publicly say that the rubber neck trim and mic tips as well as the lens material in the AP kit are lacking. I went box diving and found a pair of CAP mic tips that I have used instead. I cant help with the lens or rubber material, so maybe he can replace those later. The rubber is too big and the lens material too light.

I am starting off by putting the pin striping tape on the ears. I can never seem to find the small stuff but the two stripe tape is always around at automotive stores. I just use the small strip and toss the rest. I cut about a 6 inch piece and take out the small strip. Then starting from the bottom of the ear I wrap it around keeping pulling pressure on the tape but not stretching it. This way it conforms to the ears shape. When I get back around to the bottom again I just use an exacto knife to cut off the excess. Just put the blade on the tape and pull the tape up off the ear. The blade will cut the extra tape. Then I just rub the tape in lightly to make sure its adhering.

100_8046.jpg

100_8047.jpg

100_8048.jpg

100_8049.jpg

100_8050.jpg

Next comes the decals. Here's a tip. Get a small bowl and put one drop of dish soap in it. Then fill it with water. Mix the two well. Before you put your decals on dip them in the water(one at a time as you go). When you put them on you will be able to position them easily and work out all the air bubbles. Some people also use a water spray bottle. This trick really works and I dont know how I got along without it all these years. Use a paper towel to work the water out from under the decals. Soon there will be no water and the decal will be stuck in place. WORKS GREAT!!!

Note: I noticed that I had to cut one tube stripe off each side for my tube stripes to fit correctly. no biggie. I cut them off right on the helmet.

100_8051.jpg

100_8052.jpg

100_8053.jpg

100_8054.jpg

100_8055.jpg

100_8056.jpg

100_8057.jpg

Now its time for the faucets ......ugh....DO NOT USE THESE. I am showing these on the helmet for now. I tried..... I just cant willingly build a bucket with water faucets.....They were very difficult to put in as well. The screws were very short.

100_8073.jpg

100_8074.jpg

100_8075.jpg

100_8076.jpg

Here is the final bucket. Now I will put some novus on it and make sure its all dialed in before I send ity off to its new home.

Shamless Plug.... I can assemble your AP too!!!! I charge $100 for AP assembly and can have it to you within one week of receiving it. Just have AP ship it to me and then when its done you pay me for assembly and shipping.

100_8080.jpg

100_8081.jpg

100_8082.jpg

• 1 year later...
Here is how I do it. I score a line about an 1/8 inch away from the cap then follow around at the front of the ear tracing the guide line. Pretty much the same in back too except I do a sweep from the cap of the ear to the guide line. The ears always fit better that way.

Okay,

Right now I'm trying to trim my AP ears and I've read this paragraph a hundred times.. I still cannot grasp the meaning of this.

Would somebody be so can to expleain me in plain English? Maybe a pic?

I really don't want to screw up "my" ears.

Karin