I found a modified ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer resin

TK4205

In my search for the perfect stormtrooper plastic, I have come across some interesting pollymer that promises to the next best thing in TK armor. Unlike Styrene (HIPS) and ABS, Elastoplastic compositions of ethylene-vinyl acetate rubber and polyolefin resin have a very long life and are durable under much wear and tear.

Elastoplastic compositions are blends of cross-linked ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) rubber and thermoplastic polyolefin resin.

I found a modified ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer resin designed as sealing layer for lidding and pouch in construction applications. It's available in pellet form for use in coextrusion equipment designed to process polyethylene resins into blown or cast films. It's not 'pulled' like conventional plastics.

My first expriment is making a TK belt that is durable, flexible, yet rigid. It was a trick finding the right composition in rubber and thermoplastic polyolefin to get the right color ant texture of the TK look.

xbDK6yV.jpg

You can't tear this stuff with your hands.

k9oAVNq.jpg

lhW9Ebi.jpg

It holds its shape very well. With exelent memory, you can crumple it up and it wili go back to its original shape.

RpO4h9B.jpg

I could make an entire set of armor out of this stuff.

Stay tuned. More to come

What a great find! It's been many a year since organic chem, but I think I get the gist of it.

I think the memory properties are pretty intriguing. It would certainly make it easier to sit in your armor without having to cut the cod or worry about cracking the butt plate (ask me how I know).

I'm curious especially to see how a chest/back would turn out. My initial thought is that something flexible for an ab plate or shin might not be rigid enough for the chest (of course you could always have to mixtures, one for each type of rigidity needed). Or do you think that under normal circumstances it will maintain enough rigidity for a piece that's not supposed to really flex like the chest?

What you're doing is very compelling - the ABS suits are not known for lots of flexibility. :)

I can make this stuff as rigid as I want in the cohesion process. I can't shout enough about this stuff. I haven't slept in three days I'm so excited. I've been dancing around the house with my part that I made. Playing with it and getting acustom to its properties. It's virtualy indestructable for the intended aplication. Oh, and I forgot to mention, It's 1/3 lighter than styrene.

After making various small parts I'm thinking of doing a bucket.

Very interesting :)

So how do you make the stuff?Is it a case of mixing it up and laying it into a mould?Do you need any special equipment to use this stuff?

I've been searching/testing different plastics too but for vacuum forming.If this resin can be made to different hardness' then I think you might be onto a winner!

Now,where do I get it from :P

-Paul.

This stuff needs to be pressed out, unlike pulling or injection, so you need a positive and negative mold. This particular EVA needs to be cooked. Cooking time dictates its hardness when cool. As far as what the stuff is, I've already gone over. How I get my finished product is a secret family recipe. I'm in the doghouse over this one. I spent $900 last week experimenting, and my wife's kitchen is a disaster area.

Troopermaster, If you are doing pulls. try here: -------They have the best prices I've found so far.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, just poping a note to see if you have been able to play around with the resiin some more??? Any new updates ??

We are in the middle of moving, so most of my projects are in temporarily on hold.

I hope your move go's smoothly...I can't wait to see what your finished products look like :)

I can't shout enough about this stuff. I haven't slept in three days I'm so excited.

Are you sure your work area is well ventilated? :lol: J/K.

It sounds like a great idea and a noble pursuit, how is this material in terms of workability? Does it cut and sand well for mods? And what about painting bonding issues, will this stuff hold epoxy enamel based paints?

Sorry trooper, but no can do at this time. We are moving, and most of my stuff is in storage.

BTW, when I get my moulds done I'm trying for a whole kit out of it.

Take your time.... even thou most of us are holding our breaths, in regards to any and all updates. Like any thing that takes time, it becomes sweeter once you get it. :wub:

:huh: dont remember the last time i looked foward for something with so much eenthusiasum!!!!!!!