E-11S - Sniper Rifle

Thanks for posting about the troop! Looking forward to more work on the rifle when you get a chance to update.

Thanks Brian. Have made small steps, but still waiting on a couple of key items before major updates. Still tossing around a few ideas, then tossing them out the window.... Hopefully not too long

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Sam. A bit more progress. Finally got my rear stock from my mate with a 3D printer. I believe its one of TFH's files but not 100%sure. It's going to need a bit more filling and sanding before the final coat goes on, but I hear that's common with 3D printing.

With the stock being solid, I wanted to hollow it out so it could slide over the tube for extra strength. Out comes the spade bit. Only had a 35mm, so did the other 3mm with the sanding drum on the dremel.

P1030439_zpsgj7koyr9.jpg

P1030441_zpsqkbud2xp.jpg

P1030442_zps6edc1lp3.jpg

It appears the cap was designed around 40mm pipe, so I had to epoxy some 1mm styrene onto the inside of the cap so it sat a bit firmer against my 38mm tube.

P1030447_zpsaoyyshm0.jpg

P1030451_zpslgrdu76c.jpg

And this is how it will all sit

P1030448_zpslua9t7k5.jpg

P1030449_zpssla0hhcf.jpg

P1030450_zpslrlkxeyq.jpg

Now I've got that main piece done, other parts and updates should come a lot quicker... (Although I do need to get my Mouse Droid and R6 dome ready for a troop in 3 weeks, so I reserve the right to change my mind  :D )

• Like 2

This rear stock makes your blaster even longer ^_^

It currently looks pretty massive compared to the rest of the gun, but I guess that will change with the later additions (like scope and so on...)

This rear stock makes your blaster even longer ^_^

It currently looks pretty massive compared to the rest of the gun, but I guess that will change with the later additions (like scope and so on...)

It's about the same length as DLT I think. The E-11 end cap section is exactly where the standard E-11 end cap is with the Stock effectively attached to the end. Another comparison, is that the total length of the rear section is actually about 2cm shorter than a standard Sterling folding stock extended.

P1030452_zpscpgaofkp.jpg

Ridiculous, in a good way.  Do you have snipe hunts in Australia?   ;)

Thanks Aaron. Um no. We basically have no rifle/hunting/gun activity here at all...

Ok, this was the major drama and decision I had to make with this build - what to do with the folding stock? I was originally going to ditch it completely, but after discussions over in posts 13-15, I got thinking..... And this is what I came up with. A bipod up front (DLT19 style) and a tactical foldable grip where the standard length folding stock ended.

Acquire folding grip

P1030453_zps5bbz7g6y.jpg[/uR

L]

And yes, the handle is oversized compared to a Sterling stock. Unfortunately it had to be to fit over the original grip mechanism, but I figured the whole blaster is 'oversized' so a few individual items can be too.

Comments, suggestions welcome. It hasn't been glued down yet just in case someone offers up a better idea, but I think it works quite well for now.

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

That is exactly what I meant when mentioning "the crazy things you will do next".

Looks good and I am very excited about how it will look with a bipod on the front and some T-tracks...

Thanks Tino! Thought I'd better show my Hengstler conversion since the finished product was about to show on my next step.

Standard Doopy counter, started sanding off the 'bump' window

P1030376_zpssu9truhd.jpg

Good ol' eBay counter for $6-!

P1030418_zps2rl8vv8k.jpg

Pulled apart to see what I need to use

P1030419_zpslqd3odqf.jpg

Nice! The window already has the bump!

P1030420_zpsz7jfwt4n.jpg

I did have to sand the number wheels down a bit to compress them together more. They were a little wide to start with. Cavity to the side is for the spring loaded reset button to sit into

P1030423_zpsgfd0gb1x.jpg

Button out of styrene sheet and another ballpoint pen bites the dust

P1030424_zpsb93rx8ta.jpg

Cut the standard clip off (had lost some detail..) and replaced with a unit from Bluesnaggletooth. Also slightly moved the top screw location to a more accurate location (you can see the putty and new hole on top)

P1030433_zpshdjteuqh.jpg

I'll put the two brass screws (from T-Jay) in later after the final coat of paint

P1030467_zps2xsi1490.jpg

And unfortunately I didn't take a photo with the window visible before I painted, and now that I have a nice seal I don;t want to remove it until I'm done painting. Final reveal to occur later

P1030468_zpswzvzvenb.jpg

Just realised that wasn't the best photo anyway...

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

That freakin stock is amazing Ian! This is one bad an impolite person blaster. You nailed it on making a stock work on a blaster this long. 

The counter came out beautiful as well. Nice ebay counter, especially you could use of the window from it too. You make it look easy to do all that.  :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks Brian. As most of you would have guessed, considering it's a non-canon blaster I'm forgoing some of the finer details. We've got Tino's amazing thread for that :) . Just trying to make a believable star wars style long weapon ;)

Oh, here's a comparison to what I was trying to copy, to what I actually did.

P1030477_zpswmegh3bo.jpg

Side on, it's close. Front on it's not, as it had to be very wide to get around the existing mechanism.

After deciding to shorten the folding stock, I needed to bulk up the front end, so in keeping with the DLT style (also that of the image in post # 14) I decided on a Bipod for the front. No way I could make one, so good old eBay came through with an el cheapo aluminium/steel bipod. Still not 100% on the round rubber feet, so might try to modify them once the blaster is completed. Not sure if I can though with destroying it.

P1030426_zpsnl5unqoj.jpg

P1030463_zps2jjov1zg.jpg

P1030458_zpsqu1l1wto.jpg

P1030460_zps2w9vzqsa.jpg

You can see in the first pic the legs are closed, and in the installed pics, legs are extended. Didn't realise I must have extended them before taking photos.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. Scope and scope rail up next....

Looking at the pictures I think it might be a tad to long - maybe 2-3 inches.

Awesome. Thanks for your input. Do you think that based on certain aspects look out of scale with each other, or just a general opinion?

I was sort of going for a DLT19 size with E-11 look. Just checked the measurements - A DLT is supposedly 48 inches. My E-11S is 44.5, so quite a bit smaller. 

Cheers

Edited by Sith Lord

It's more general, the length to bulkyness ratio. While both drilled barrels are around the same diameter, the receiver part of the dlt is way more bulky. <br><br>

And additional the drawing your build is based on seems to have a shorter barrel - which looks a little more "matching ".<br><br>

Hope that helps. :)

For the counter I expected something like this  :laugh1:
24873472479_17b2f98a2e_b.jpg
Just kidding Ian (again). To be honest, I am following this thread with great interest and every new update is a pleasure to read.
I like the way you run this build from your own ideas and imagination, without having any detailed references. My deepest respect for that. :duim:

Your Hengstler mod is very precise and I never expected to get such a nice "face" out of the parts from that ebay counter. Well done my friend.
Same for the bipod, which is a very nice addition to this build and makes the whole blaster look even more believable.

The only thing I am wondering about is the mounting position of the bipod. Most guns (incl. MG34) do not have these installed on the very front end.
Would be interesting to see, how it looks when being placed closer to your tactical foldable grip... (just an idea and no offense in any way)

Hahaha! Love the counter Tino! I'll have a think about that.

Unfortunately Michael, the muzzle is already glued, as are the grip and other parts, so there's no way it's being shortened at all. Admittedly it does look a bit long and skinny at the moment. Hopefully the addition of T-Tracks and the scope/rail combo will alleviate that a bit.

Bipod is glued and screwed, but could be changed possibly. I'll check out a few more reference pics. Thanks for the tip

The only thing I am wondering about is the mounting position of the bipod. Most guns (incl. MG34) do not have these installed on the very front end.

Would be interesting to see, how it looks when being placed closer to your tactical foldable grip... (just an idea and no offense in any way)

Good call Tino! I moved the bipod back closer to the grip and it looks a whole lot better in my opinion. That's for the constructive feedback.

P1030485_zpsmvj3j2tk.jpg[/

URL]

Hmm, images a bit blurry. Sorry about that

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 3