HOWTO: ukswrath's First Order Heavy Gunner (Flyye) Vest Modification

ukswrath

Got the straps etc and these are the pics I've taken so far. It includes the packets they came in but again I can't work out who the manufacturer is. I'll ask my stores chap tomorrow to interrogate the system and try to find out.

20160107_002526_zpsr2qquhb4.jpg

20160107_002537_zpsnrvzkw8f.jpg

20160107_002550_zps2aa2nkxn.jpg

20160107_002555_zpsv5270zn3.jpg

20160107_002605_zpsfeukcahz.jpg

20160107_002620_zpsmzlq6msl.jpg

20160107_002748_zpsefcpyxoj.jpg

20160107_002808_zpsgevftilz.jpg

20160107_003142_zpsqs80jiah.jpg

I'm afraid thats all I've got for now. I'll try and see if I can get at least who makes these things; someone must know!!!!! Hopefully they may be of some help too??

Edited by Junglie Scout
  • Like 2

The smaller of the two buckles looks like a TIFCO slider. You can buy them through americanplastics.com. As a matter of fact I believe TIFCO makes most the buckles for the armor suspension system I built for my FOTK. Though you could be correct I'm still not entirely sure this is the correct buckle. But then again we don't have the clearest of images to choose from at the moment.

The strap looks spot on though.

I've spent the last week looking up ski binders or snowboard boot binders. Nothing yet for the TFA HW vest greeblies.

Yea I'm pretty sure they're unique to the vest used, possibly even made specifically for Disney. The closest buckle that I've found besides what Andy has provided us above can be found her at americanplastics.com. http://americanplastics.com/catalog.asp?cat=829570950&p=4&c=14

Granted the strap is different the buckle looks spot on. This is a TIFCO buckle, other TIFCO buckles can be found used on other parts of the armor as well.

• Like 1

This buckle looks similar - think its somewhat odd - TIFCO vs NIFCO.

http://www.nifco.com/ctl/buckle/04slide_buckle/sl1.html

After seeing this pic (posted on another thread) I suspect the NIFCO buckle is actually closer to the movie used one.

https://i.imgur.com/2vqe2jB.jpg

I blew up a portion of the pic to point out how the buckle seems to me to be more right angled/straight edged than the TIFCO.

comp-1_zps9hgftjgm.jpg

Edited by Vertex
  • Like 2

These guys seem to offer the nifco buckle. Unfortunately min order is 100 units and would have to ship from the UK. I'm guessing with shipping maybe $150-200 bucks. They do ship worldwide though.

http://www.acesupplies.co.uk/acatalog/itw-20mm---25mm-surface_mount-side_releases__.html

Edited by Vertex
  • Like 1

Working on it fellas. I got the manufacturer yesterday from my stores guy and had a quick look. They're based in the uk and make bloody all sorts. I left the name of it on my desk unfortunately and I'll have to pick up again on Monday. <br><br>

Hopefully they'll put me in touch with a distributor otherwise the order numbers will be silly. The clip maybe a knats off but are we agreed the strap is right? Besides I can only see that the spring clips on the buckle are slightly different. My visual dictionary and recent hi res photos show that the difference is hardly worth worrying about tbh, well at least for now. We can continue to look for the grail in less rushed fashion then.

Working on it fellas. I got the manufacturer yesterday from my stores guy and had a quick look. They're based in the uk and make bloody all sorts. I left the name of it on my desk unfortunately and I'll have to pick up again on Monday. <br><br>

Hopefully they'll put me in touch with a distributor otherwise the order numbers will be silly. The clip maybe a knats off but are we agreed the strap is right? Besides I can only see that the spring clips on the buckle are slightly different. My visual dictionary and recent hi res photos show that the difference is hardly worth worrying about tbh, well at least for now. We can continue to look for the grail in less rushed fashion then.

Thanks Andy.

I think Serge's buckle version is more accurate though Andy. If we can find his buckle and your strap I think we would have a winner.

Regarding "the difference worth worrying about", to be honest and with all respect, if I didn't care about the accuracy this quest for the correct components wouldn't exist. I would have settled for the cast buckles I already have installed.

Again, this buckle and strap may be something Disney asked a manufacturer to create just for the movie however, in my quest to find the correct (exact) components used to build the armor suspension system some of the components are legit and readily available, I've seen them.

BTW, I do appreciate everyone's efforts. If we come up with the correct components and the vest is built as accurately or very close the movie vest, then it will be something everyone else will model after and your names will be all over it. Something you can take pride in.

• Like 3

No dramas, I can see the merit of getting it right first time. I agree that the buckles I have do have a rounded detailing on the upper surface which isn't right.

I've submitted a request for a quote on ISO Parts for straps at a 100 units (each unit will have 2 straps on it). Lets see what they come up with regarding a price?

No dramas, I can see the merit of getting it right first time. I agree that the buckles I have do have a rounded detailing on the upper surface which isn't right.

I've submitted a request for a quote on ISO Parts for straps at a 100 units (each unit will have 2 straps on it). Lets see what they come up with regarding a price?

Awesome, thanks Andy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

10c. Shoulder Harness Cont...

Unfortunately there still isn't any screen shots available for the rear vest shoulder strapping. Reluctantly I will have to follow the Toy version until new information comes to light.

So I left off just after the upper buckle 

IMG_5497.jpg

After this section we'll be adding a 1" black plastic "D" ring to the 1" nylon webbing and a 2" "D" ring buckle to the floor mat material subsequently ending this section of material.

IMG_6108b.jpg

Cut the nylon webbing to 3-1/4"

IMG_6113.jpg

10d. Feed it through the buckle from the bottom like so that approximately 1" is remaining. Using a leather punch or soldering iron punch a 1/8" through the nylon webbing only. Afterwards install a 1/8" x 1/8" pop rivet.

IMG_6114.jpgIMG_6115.jpg

10e. Install 5" of nylon webbing through the 1 "D" buckle this time with the material flowing from top to bottom.  Sew the nylon only where indicated below. 

IMG_6120b.jpg

10f. Install another 1" "D" buckle 4" further down the belt like so. 

IMG_6122.jpg

10g. Cut off 1-1/2" floor mat material near the 1" buckle. Cut the 2" floor mat material 2" past the 1" "D" buckle. Feed 2" floor mate material through the 2" "D" buckle. Fold it back under all three materials. Sew all three material together.

IMG_6122b.jpg

Should look like this when finished

IMG_6124.jpg

10h. Now take a 14" section of 2" nylon webbing and feed it through the other side of the recently installed 2" "D" buckle. Sew together with the nylon on the bottom.

IMG_6127_1.jpg

10I. At the opposite end of the 2" nylon webbing sew in a 1" x 8" nylon webbing.

IMG_6125_1.jpg

10j. Install male buckle and adjustment slider.

f1000b05-3d0c-4ce1-815d-93054553d9fc.jpg

10j. Install 1/4" neoprene foam with adhesive on main body of strip to keep from scratching armor.

IMG_6131.jpg

Finished!!!

Test fitting. My son was kind enough to be my mannequin. 

IMG_6132.jpgIMG_6139.jpgIMG_6141.jpgIMG_6142.jpgIMG_6137.jpgIMG_6134.jpg

FB_IMG_1458505272781-crop.jpgFB_IMG_1458505605297.jpg

• Like 2

Well I would consider it granted I could get the correct front buckle assembly. Right now I'm at the mercy of buying it from the guy that actually makes and sells the vest of FB. You can always buy his version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...