MR CE helmet overhaul

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I could cut the original brow into an Lshape and that would pretty much correct the last problem that I have.

I don't have a camera other than a camera phone, so I can't really upload detailed pics yet. sorry.

Basically...

___________ <Original brow

_;-----------;_ < new brow but where all the dashes are the plastic is so close to the base helmet that the trim can't fit under like it used to.

not to worry mate. look at the pm I gave u of my progress on MR CE overhaul

after you saw into brow, some of the plastic get pushed into the gap, but its just a thin bit. use a hobby knife to clean up the edge, it should be ok - cos mine did the same

cleanup.jpg

glad to see that u are giving it a go!

pics will also be very helpful

good luck mate - and remember, theres never a problem that bondo/putty cant fix¬!! :D

any blade should do cat - I think I used a standard stanley knife from my tool kit rofl - I really should get my hands on a set of precise hobby knives

depending on how much damage u did to ears - some putty should fix it up good - think the US troopers use MMD putty or squadron putty. in uk I use milliput

OR if really bad - just do like Noel did; I do like look of his idealised bucket

I fixed the brow today! I'm really excited because now it just looks REALLY NICE. Rubber trim is only elevated slightly, but its a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for your encouragement guys! I took your advice, Heatshock and just trimmed up the brow with the blade and the rubber trim fit again!

The putty hardened over the ear hole that I made so it looks alright now. Just gotta sand the entire thing and paint it.

I need some help removing the aerators though, any tips? Also, how do you guys attach the rubber trim to the brow and neck again?

Wow... I feel like I've been gone a month over night!

You mean the brow trim won't fit because it won't fit "up in behind" the brow?

That's not bad... that's CORRECT!

Look at the way I trimmed the back off my trim for example. The edge just sits on the bottom of the brow, it doesn't go up and behind anymore.

Is this what happened?

I fixed the brow today! I'm really excited because now it just looks REALLY NICE. Rubber trim is only elevated slightly, but its a noticeable improvement.

Thanks for your encouragement guys! I took your advice, Heatshock and just trimmed up the brow with the blade and the rubber trim fit again!

The putty hardened over the ear hole that I made so it looks alright now. Just gotta sand the entire thing and paint it.

I need some help removing the aerators though, any tips? Also, how do you guys attach the rubber trim to the brow and neck again?

for the neck trim i'm planning on using silicone sealant, not sure what's best for the brow trim...hot glue maybe? or silicone...

glad you sorted your brow out...would have been a shame to just bin it...

Wow... I feel like I've been gone a month over night!

You mean the brow trim won't fit because it won't fit "up in behind" the brow?

That's not bad... that's CORRECT!

Look at the way I trimmed the back off my trim for example. The edge just sits on the bottom of the brow, it doesn't go up and behind anymore.

Is this what happened?

Yes, thats exactly what happened!

But, I shaved off some plastic from the bottom of the brow and now it slips under ever so slightly.

heh glad to be of service cat - now arent u glad u started on this journey? :D

once again - use the search tool cat - both this thread u are posting in, No'l's and cranky's thread all cover how to remove the aerator (oh mine too). a little effort on ur part is always and greatly appreciated b4 posting.

do ur research, dont panic and u'll be fine - loads of fine people on here to talk u through it (I am not including myself in this grp yet till I get more experience under my belt, but happy to help too if I can)

planning to use silicone for re-attaching my trim.

Nate

I remember seeing your lightbulb tutorial, but that method doesn't work for me.

I got scared when using the dremel to remove the aerators. Heh. That thing is the DEVIL.

I've got the reattachment of the trim down then.

ONE more quick question, inside, is the paint PRIMER or just regular paint? I'm assuming just gloss/flat black primer.

ah cool cat - i hate dremels too - hence my lightbulb method (15 min and no power tools! yay me!). dont think u have many other alternatives. Both seem sound methods though. Not sure if u have other choices.

interior paint? most people just painted on direct. I primed it, no sanding and then 2 coats of satin black paint. Do a search for the paints - I am UK side. Think US paints are Rustoleum and Krylon Fusion IIRC - something like that

Just got my helmet primed! a few coats of primer. Not sure how many I put on it. I'm gonna sand it and then prime it one more time, THEN paint it. Sound good?

Also, do I use the same color gray for the teeth that I do for the ears, tears and traps?

I'm not entirely sure about that one, didn't think about it, so I used the same grey for all of them. Testors 1138 I think, or Humbrol #5.

Awesome.

Last question since I'm pretty much done with it after this!

I don't think I let the primer sit long enough, because I just went over it with the glossy white and its starting to get all wrinkly and cracked?

Do I just wait for the paint to sit and then sand it, reprime and repaint?

Sounds like one of two things dude. Either the primer wasn't dry enough or you sprayed a little too much gloss. I've just finshed my 1st attempt MR CE mod so I'm no expert.

Give any paintwork time to dry hard before going at it with sand paper or you'll just make holes and runs in the paintwork. Most paints are touch dry in an hour but that doesn't mean they're ready to sand.

On the gloss coats I sprayed a very fine dusting of paint for each coat (keep the nozzle a fair distance from the surface and use long strokes so the paint doesn't build up). Then I waited an hour then rubbed down with a very soft cloth before the next coat.

Like I say, I'm no expert but I'm happy with my paint finish.

Awesome.

Last question since I'm pretty much done with it after this!

I don't think I let the primer sit long enough, because I just went over it with the glossy white and its starting to get all wrinkly and cracked?

Do I just wait for the paint to sit and then sand it, reprime and repaint?

After many hours of doing and redoing this here's my suggestion...

Let it dry... like 24 hours at minimum dry.

Then sand it off again so it's smooth.

Then don't prime it again, just paint it. Use Krylon Gloss White (if you can get it). It dries fast, has a great gloss, and doesn't need priming (after what you already have on there.)

Seems like priming / primer was what goofed mine up at first too.

One more tip... don't spray outside if there is ANY wind!!!

Wind will blow the paint and make it not a good thing.

Wow Luis :)

That tutorial is really helpful.

I'm so sorry the first pair of ears didn't get there and glad you got the second pair ok.

My life was little hectic back then (decorators in etc) but if anyone else needs a set I'm back on track now and can sort these out fairly quickly. :0

John

• 5 months later...