Strapping/connection options?

Hi all - got a big box of TK plastic waiting for some love! I'm initially thinking of the "snaps" method for strapping and holding it all together, but wanted to pick the collective brain on options. Any threads people can point me to, or can anyone share pics of their way of holding the pieces together?

It's personal preference. Some people love velcro, I prefer snaps. Why? Because it allows me to quickly snap in/out of my kit in moments and I don't have worry about re-adjusting it every time I put it on/off. The only place I like velcro is the back of my shins.

• Like 2

Same here with the snaps...  I use the double snap method for added security against anything coming undone unexpectedly.

ZstuZK9.jpg

• Like 1

Happy to oblige, Adam.  For my thigh strapping system, I use the one made by Ty (Pencap510), located here:http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29991-thigh-garter-system/   It does use Velcro, but is infinitely adjustable as needed and holds fast even on an 8 hour troop!

mqTNpO1.jpg

• Like 1

My own strapping is a serious hybrid system.  LoL

I have original brackets holding most of it together.  This is screen accurate, but very inconvenient for transporting the armor, truth be told.

Where I do have snap plates, they are all double snapped and backed with Velcro.  I've never had anything come apart after I got the snaps fully installed.  While I was on Velcro in the arms and some other connections, I did have some Velcro failure as I neared eight months of trooping in the armor.  Additionally, my cod is cut from the abdomen armor.  It allows for a bit more mobility in some regards, but does not simply allow me to sit down. I can "sit", but it is not a result of that modification.
SP0NPLf.jpg

The snaps are actually set in the nylon via snap setting tools and a hammer.  A good tutorial can be found here:  --------------

The video shows them being set in leather, but the method works for nylon.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Some use CA (super) glue, but I would suggest E-6000, Scott.  The reason is that if you ever need to remove it, you can.  Whichever method you choose, be sure to scuff up the ABS in the area you are going to attach it to and then clean and dry it thoroughly for maximum adhesion.

• Like 1

E6000 can't come to a party without clearing the room. ;)

Just ask my wife: "You've been in the kitchen with E6000 again, haven't you?"

"Aww honey, I'm just taking pictures!"

By the way, I'm following this post, it's got a great collection of techniques and pictures already. :) Hope to see more!

Edited by Astyanax

i've started some basic snaps for my chest and back, i've been reading tony barnett (TK300)'s site and i'm trying to follow his example atleast on the chest/back/shoulder areas

Front

jpuLJCF.jpg

Back

0EWSXrz.jpg

sorry if the size is too big i dont know how to resize, and my phone is garbage 

I can't tell if the ones in the photos are the actual shoulder straps or the snaps that are glued to the armor itself.  I wouldn't suggest gluing elastic to your armor here, but rather mounting the snaps in nylon (or ABS) and then attaching that to your armor.  (See the ones in the pic I posted).  If they are the shoulder straps, you might want to double over the elastic and either glue it or sew it before putting the snaps in, for strength.  Those areas get a lot of use, and constantly doing/undoing them can cause the elastic to wear out over time and the snap can come out.

yeah i plan to replace those tomorrow though the spare ABS sheets he gave were to think for most of the snaps to stay down so i've actually been using the big chucks i shaved off early on

i placed some snaps on the tops of the shoulder bells and inside of the biceps, i realise now i possibly should have went with velcro since i'm about to run out of snaps and still have alot to go. though i'm hoping to make a run to the store tomorrow and hope they have the right kind

CP0ypiG.jpg