Bryanmc's Build Thread - Complete Newbie

Hello, my name is Bryanmc and I've never built a TK.  

<Hi, Bryan!>

I'm a 501st ESB Vader and my brief history is that I planned to do a OT TK as my next build but put my name on the TFA TK list, got my kit and I'm now starting the build.  Which I understand is going to be tough.  The good news is if I get through this the OT TK should be easier, right?

I've memorized just about all the build threads here, so I think I've got a foundation to start from but I will most certainly post some newbie questions here so I appreciate all the help/support.

When I took out all the plastic pieces last night and inventoried them, this was my reaction:

449FE0F7-9D52-4233-9234-4272FA77265D.jpg

I started rough cutting some pieces, going back and forth between scissors and the Dremmel, trying to see which I prefer.  My arms are a little sore this morning, after only about 2 hours of cutting.

First two questions: 

1.  Was I supposed to get some kind of glue in my gaskets box from Anovos?  I think I'm going to sew my gaskets but I've seen some mention of glue that was included by some folks.

2.  I've got a belt sander (I basically purchased everything from ukswrath's supply list) and I've used it to sand my cod piece just to try it out. Works fine but never having built a TK, or any plastic costume, I'm not sure how fine to make the edge.  For a standalone piece like the cod should I really make it smooth with a high grit?  I'll post a pic later today of what I did with the belt sander so you can let me know what it needs.

Thanks for all the help, I'm excited about this build. 

• Like 2

Hey there brother, you're in good hands, and you know that I'm just a short drive away and will be beginning my own build relatively soon as well.    Yes, compared to this, the OT TK will be pretty simple.  

1.  Yes.  I have it in my kit, but I'm thinking I'm just going to use CA glue for them as others have done.

2.  I am going to suggest that the cod will be very smooth, yes.  That's what I'm shooting for with mine at least.  Of course, where you will have seams (which is pretty much every other single piece of this armor) you'll have "hard" edges without returns.

We're going to wow North Texas over the next few months.  :D

• Like 1

When deciding to use (A) Lexan scissors, or ( B ) a dremel, the correct answer is actually ( C ) score and snap.

Seriously, because of the way this thing needs to go together, you'll want to make sure your cuts are as smooth and precise as possible. Especially on the long edges and/or edges that will require Bondo. The only place I would use scissors and/or a Dremel is on the small and curvy pieces, such as the spats and the thermal detonator end caps.

Questions:

Where do I make the cut on this piece? There's no defined edge.

578D9E11-DB8A-4E51-AAD7-6B6E8F24FA5F.jpg

This look very rough/wavy. Is that how it should be?

6DE38828-6B36-43C6-BCD4-D339CEEFACED.jpg

(Let me know if you can't see the images. I've got them in a private Photobucket album but I don't know if that lets me direct link them or not.)

..... or look at any one of our build threads

edit: I have entire sections dedicated to what pieces look like after trimming

Edited by ukswrath

I basically took the day off to trim today. All done, good Lord Almighty.

No lie, Anovos could have gotten another $1,000 out of me if all the parts came trimmed/sanded.

Looking forward to starting to do some assembly, probably on Thursday. My plan is to follow ukswrath's build order as best I can.

I've seen that you should wash your parts before painting, should you wash before gluing or does that come later?

Once I've cut and sanded and am happy with the way pieces fit together, am I good to glue or is there a step I'm missing?

Sorry for the basic questions, just want to be overly cautious. Really wish I could have learned on the $350 OT TK kit. :D

I've seen that you should wash your parts before painting, should you wash before gluing or does that come later?

Once I've cut and sanded and am happy with the way pieces fit together, am I good to glue or is there a step I'm missing?

Sorry for the basic questions, just want to be overly cautious. Really wish I could have learned on the $350 OT TK kit. :D

As for the assembly just a rag wipe down or compressed air should be sufficient. Before applying fillers and paint washing is best, just ensure it is completely dry before proceeding. 

Future note: As for the filler, though I haven't seen anyone document this yet it's best to use some type of adhesion spray or wipe on the target area prior to applying the filler to assist in the bonding process between the two materials. Just a FYI.