Topic Title Forcing Title Caps

JoblessPunk

Hey, 

I posted a thread yesterday and it forced the topic title to be title caps instead of what I typed. I tried updating topic title multiple times but it would always switch the text to title caps. 

Here's the thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32630-tk-31689-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap/

The topic title should be:

TK 31689 Requesting ANH Stunt Centurion Status [AP]

But this is what is being displayed:

Tk 31689 Requesting Anh Stunt Centurion Status [Ap]

If you please do two things:

1 - Fix the force title caps for the topic titles. 

*I've noticed I'm not the only one having this problem, every new topic since the server move seems to be effected.

2- Fix the title topic to my thread I linked to. 

Thank you very much for your time. 

That's a feature I turned on yesterday during the move to the new hosting. It's intended to stop "HELP!!1 PLEASE READ ME" threads.

Don't worry, moderators always to go in and edit EIB thread titles to conform with the set format either upon approval, or if forgotten, at a later date.

• Like 2

I've found a plugin that does the same thing as the built in, but has more flexibility which I have enabled instead. Hopefully that works out better. It has whitelists for words that are supposed to be upper case, which is perfect for us.

That's a feature I turned on yesterday during the move to the new hosting. It's intended to stop "HELP!!1 PLEASE READ ME" threads.

Don't worry, moderators always to go in and edit EIB thread titles to conform with the set format either upon approval, or if forgotten, at a later date.

Thanks for the info. 

I understand the all caps problem, but personally I think seeing "tk", "Anh" "Esb" "Rotj" is a bit odd. 

I've found a plugin that does the same thing as the built in, but has more flexibility which I have enabled instead. Hopefully that works out better. It has whitelists for words that are supposed to be upper case, which is perfect for us.

I was just typing something like that, glad to hear, I'd love to whitelist basic abbreviations. 

just tried to add another chapter to the fisd e-11 blaster reference and this feature even makes capitol letters in every single word!

also posting pictures and links didn't work anymore... :huh:

and older threads with special keyboard characters (like:  "   -   '   ... ) are displayed incorrectly. or is that just me?

Edited by T-Jay

just tried to add another chapter to the fisd e-11 blaster reference and this feature even makes capitol letters in every single word!

also posting pictures and links didn't work anymore... :huh:

and older threads with special keyboard characters (like:  "   -   '   ... ) are displayed incorrectly. or is that just me?

The mod has whitelisting of member groups, so 501st members and up are not interfered with (as they should have been here long enough to behave). Unfortunately you're not in that group no matter how well behaved you are.

The thread titles with strange looking titles is an unfortunate side-effect of us re-importing the database into a new server.

the mod has whitelisting of member groups, so 501st members and up are not interfered with (as they should have been here long enough to behave). unfortunately you're not in that group no matter how well behaved you are.

the thread titles with strange looking titles is an unfortunate side-effect of us re-importing the database into a new server.

actually your above lines got quoted, but at the moment it is not displayed that way.

hm, the issue with the capitol letters in every single word disappeared during the last few minutes. now every letter is small (after clicking on post).

please don't get my message wrong, i fully appreciate what has been done during the last days. i am just wondering about the whitelisting of member groups: does that mean i have to become a 501st member to get my content displayed correctly? can't imagine that.

and the problem i described above affects many (if not all) of the exisiting threads on the fisd. if there is still work ongoing in the background and you want us to wait with new postings, please let us know.

i have a lot to post and can not proceed due to the above stated problems. do i just have to wait, or is there anything else i can do?

Edited by T-Jay

the mod has whitelisting of member groups, so 501st members and up are not interfered with (as they should have been here long enough to behave). unfortunately you're not in that group no matter how well behaved you are.

the thread titles with strange looking titles is an unfortunate side-effect of us re-importing the database into a new server.

actually your above lines got quoted, but at the moment it is not displayed that way.

hm, the issue with the capitol letters in every single word disappeared during the last few minutes.

please don't get my message wrong, i fully appreciate what has been done during the last days. i am just wondering about the whitelisting of member groups: does that mean i have to become a 501st member to get my content displayed correctly? can't imagine that.

and the problem i described above affects many (if not all) of the exisiting threads on the fisd. if there is still work ongoing in the background and you want us to wait with new postings, please let us know.

i have a lot to post and can not proceed due to the above stated problems. do i just have to wait, or is there anything else i can do?

I probably just have to add more words to the whitelist before the kinds are sorted out to the degree that all users can post as they like as long as it's not ALL CAPS.

So please do let me know what else is interfering with your posting and I'll try to adjust the filter to that.

I probably just have to add more words to the whitelist before the kinds are sorted out to the degree that all users can post as they like as long as it's not all caps.

so please do let me know what else is interfering with your posting and i'll try to adjust the filter to that.

few minutes ago, every word i typed started with capitol letters (no matter what i typed). now all letters are standard - even a word at the beginning of a sentence has the standard letter instead of the capitol letter.

existing postings with special keyboard charcters like '  or "  and - or ... are displayed incorrect now. can this be auto-fixed, or do we have to re-type everything we once wrote?

and if you quote my text, this is shown in the light-grey text box, while your text (when i quote it) looks standard in my comment (see your lines above).

Edited by Locitus

i probably just have to add more words to the whitelist before the kinds are sorted out to the degree that all users can post as they like as long as it's not all caps.

so please do let me know what else is interfering with your posting and i'll try to adjust the filter to that.

few minutes ago, every word i typed started with capitol letters (no matter what i typed). now all letters are standard - even a word at the beginning of a sentence has the standard letter instead of the capitol letter.

existing postings with special keyboard charcters like '  or "  and - or ... are displayed incorrect now. can this be auto-fixed, or do we have to re-type everything we once wrote?

The capitalization was the mod, a setting I've reverted quickly from. The ' and " are a database issue however and has no easy solution. :(

We can experiment with other settings on the database, but each change will probably break whatever was written while the previous setting was in effect .

the capitalization was the mod, a setting i've reverted quickly from. the ' and " are a database issue however and has no easy solution. :(

we can experiment with other settings on the database, but each change will probably break whatever was written while the previous setting was in effect .

oh dear, that sounds complictated. sorry to hear.

okay, for the moment i will stop to post any new content until this has been fixed. is there any other thread communicating the issues after the server move, or should we stick on this one here to stay updated?

You can write it in here and I'll try to get to it as best as I can. To not slow down your work on th E-11 project, I'l exclude that section from the mod in the meantime.

hey mathias:

i know you're still trying to work out all the kinks, just wanted to confirm that every thing i type is always in lower-case. capitalization in any post at all seems to be disabled. a lot of us builders are ocd types, and not being able to capitalize as needed will be hard to cope with. ;)

example: this sentence has been typed in all caps.

see?

thank you for all you do!

bill

Okey, I'm disabling all anti-shouting so we're back to how it used to be, for now. Maybe I can hack the plugin do better, but that will take some time.

• Like 3

Okey, I'm disabling all anti-shouting so we're back to how it used to be, for now. Maybe I can hack the plugin do better, but that will take some time.

THANK YOU MATHIAS!

-ERIC

• Like 5

(...)     The ' and " are a database issue however and has no easy solution. :(

We can experiment with other settings on the database, but each change will probably break whatever was written while the previous setting was in effect .

Fully understand this might get tricky and it affects the majority of threads on the FISD, some in the topic line and almost every thread in several individual replies.

So I just wondered, if there is any activity ongoing in the background to fix this for all users, or if the users should re-check and correct their posts manually (quite a lot of work for some people here).

Please let us know. Thanks Mathias

Fully understand this might get tricky and it affects the majority of threads on the FISD, some in the topic line and almost every thread in several individual replies.

So I just wondered, if there is any activity ongoing in the background to fix this for all users, or if the users should re-check and correct their posts manually (quite a lot of work for some people here).

Please let us know. Thanks Mathias

Truth be told I have no good answer to that. Obviously it would be best to find a setting that works with older content and the fix the newer posts as those will be fewer. What setting that would be however, and it simply switching the setting would do the trick is unknown.

When the database was exported in order to be moved, it was exported to plain text and some information might have been corrupted at that point, making any setting irrelevant following the import as the data might already have been corrupted.

If you look at some very old threads (around 2008 or so) you can see the same issue, stemming from a similar situation in the past.

Truth be told I have no good answer to that. Obviously it would be best to find a setting that works with older content and the fix the newer posts as those will be fewer. What setting that would be however, and it simply switching the setting would do the trick is unknown.

When the database was exported in order to be moved, it was exported to plain text and some information might have been corrupted at that point, making any setting irrelevant following the import as the data might already have been corrupted.

If you look at some very old threads (around 2008 or so) you can see the same issue, stemming from a similar situation in the past.

Got you, Mathias. At least the quoting tool works fine again ;)  Just kiddin'.

Not sure if this is of interest for you (or if it makes things even more complicated), but have a look at the word DoopyDoo's in the headline of my completion set-thread and then in my blaster build-thread.

Both topics are from 2014, both contain the same word, but only one headline is displayed incorrect now. Does that make any sense?

I just got <br><br> and no photo in my latest post, is this down to the current settings ?<br><br>

Just checking.

No. Not with the current settings. Maybe if you posted yesterday.

Weird, even in the message I posted above, the line break signs came out as garbage, but the actual line break was messed up and showed the line break sign.<br><br>

I posted my initial topic update a couple of hours ago.