Undersuit & Gaskets

TK-Sonic

To all the troopers deciding or have built the new stormtrooper armor.

Other then Imperial Gaskets.

Is anyone making/ sewing there own ribbed undersuit?

There is a few ideas on board, but looking for more input.

What is everyones thought on what would work best, what are others useing, etc?

Lets here it.

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the plug.

If I may ask; why have you decided not to use ImperialGaskets? If it comes down to spending more money on this kit than you wish to spend, I do have some "seconds" that I sell at a cheaper price.

I've tried gluing together rubber tubing, ribbing with cord and latex, using a large rubber inner-tube, with little luck.

Other than rendering rubber, sewing ribs in foam is the closest match that I can find.

Whatever you decide, good luck and please share your results here.

If they are not perfect, I don't ship them. Sometimes they warp, have thin spots or air pockets that need to be filled.

$125 shipped US just for you. You will need to wait a little longer because I try really hard not to have seconds. They will come with liquid rubber for any work they might need.

• Like 1

I visited the rubber fabrication shop in Seattle. They have some rubber mats, but no one extrudes rubber in the US hardly any more. I am awaiting a quote from a US supplier of custom fabricated rubber if I can get them stamped out cheaper than I can do it at home, I can then pass the savings on to you all. 

• Like 2

Has anyone looked into sluice matting?  This is used for gold mining to help trap the gold.  I've talked to 2 sellers and explained our application, they both said the "rubber is flexible."  I have one seller sending me a sample.

Maybe if not better than Anovos, it could be used for other TFA TK kits.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-8927086896656_2270_42223639

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had our small neighbourhood tailor attempt a sample of fabric gaskets. He sandwiched a white foam filler with 2 black cloths and sew lines 1/4" apart. He added garters at both ends, so its worn like socks.

I was wondering if you guys think its good enough or not and if you think it may pass CRL?

Mardon (MLC)

Qid0tiq.jpg

WRwjTRh.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Personally, I think it looks like a decent start. It looks alright - until the armor is on it. If you look at the screen captures, and screen used suit pictures, you'll see that the gaskets more or less "fill" the armor, and act as a strapping system more than an undersuit. If you/the tailor can find a way to bridge that gap somtomspeak, I think you might be alright. A little more development on them will be a good thing. :)

Personally, I think it looks like a decent start. It looks alright - until the armor is on it. If you look at the screen captures, and screen used suit pictures, you'll see that the gaskets more or less "fill" the armor, and act as a strapping system more than an undersuit. If you/the tailor can find a way to bridge that gap somtomspeak, I think you might be alright. A little more development on them will be a good thing. :)

Thank you for your feedback Tim - appreciate it :)

A possible solution maybe to make the cloth gaskets a tad bigger and sorta like tack it to the armor to make it as part of the armor perhaps?

Mardon (MLC)

• Like 2

It could be the camera/photo, but is the material made from an already shiny fabric? There is 4-way stretch fabric that has a sheen, which would be better resource. If you tack your material to your biceps/forearm and thigh/knee/shin, you could (in theory) put on those pieces like a sleeve. As with any build, you may need to play around with the fit so that you don't look like a tube (ie; no definition of an elbow or knee). I suppose the forward white and receeding black would give an illusion of foreground/depth. Additionally, I wonder if using a piping foot, stretch material and the proper size piping cord would help to give better raised edges. The foam seems to expand to give "puffiness" but not neccessarily raised edges. Could be the way I'm seeing the photo though.

I include options below to consider for sheen/shiny fabric (I am not recommending these suppliers, I'm merely offering some of the types of fabrics that could be considered. Nor is this an exhaustive list. You and others may find other helpful fabrics!) Please keep in mind that some of these fabrics could lose their luster over time. If you purchase vinyl, this will become brittle or shred over time (years, not months unless left in very hot environments. I base this on years of wearing it at goth-clubs from waaaaay back-in-the-day and how my 2007 PVC white gogo boots flaked off when wearing them this weekend. The boots looked so nice in the closet, then I put them on... I looked like a MadMax outcast. Of course, your individual experience may vary.) 

Each fabric has their benefits and burdens to make them a personal choice for what you feel/think is most important for your gaskets.

Weave shown

SupperShine: ----------

Metallic 4-way: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/1132

Milliskin Shiny 4-way stretch: http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/1187

Regular spandex 2-way stretch (some sheen, may not photo well)--------------

Satin Spandex 2-way stretch  http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/1649

(No link: Lame (pronounced la-MAY if you go to a fabric store), has 2-way stretch)

-

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...