Shoulder Pauldron

Alright so I have been reading a bunch regarding the use and wear of pauldron.  I have been reading a lot and it seems their use is generally discouraged unless you are a Sandie or a Heavy weapons (essentially a clean Sandie).  This seems to come from the sense that we only saw them on screen with Sandies and I get that, plus in a big troop uniformity is important and you don't want a mismash of variations.

That being said though there are both EU (the entire Jedi Knight series of games) and Cannon (Rebels) examples of standard TKs wearing pauldrons.  I know they were originally used arbitrarily because "they looked cool" but since their use has expanded why not incorporate them into some kind of designated class?

I know individually we can do what we want so to speak, but why not classify them for trooping purposes?  Such as a Heavy weapons variant without the backpack or TK commander or something of that sort?

I know I am very knew to this community so this may be an old topic everyone is sick of, but I didn't find any old threads delving into this much so I figured I'd start a new one to satisfy my own curiosity.  I appreciate the discussion and entertaining the newbie questions :)

• Like 2

To me, it seems like more of a canon vs non-canon issue rather than a lack of ideas for their use. Lucasfilm officially paved over the Dark Forces series with Rebel One, and we try to play by their rules for canon events. A heavy weapons trooper with light weathering, black pauldron and backpack wouldn't stand out IMO, but red or other non-canon colors can be more jarring, especially without a big gun and backpack. I will note that LFL likes to create restrictions only to officially break them later, like rejecting KOTOR's wookiee Jedi character and then putting one in TCW show.

Edited by charlesnarles

The answer is that as a non-501st person, you can do whatever you want. If you are a 501st member, and you are at a convention or other informal event (DragonCon, etc.), you can do what you want. If you are a 501st member and at a formal or canon event, then you have to be canon, which means for OT TK's, NO PAULDRON.

• Like 1

To me, it seems like more of a canon vs non-canon issue rather than a lack of ideas for their use. Lucasfilm officially paved over the Dark Forces series....

I understand the Jedi Knight games are no longer canon, hence they were an example of EU (expanded universe) usage.

But what about the standard TK in the Canon cartoon "Rebels" in which they have had standard TKs in white, orange, and black pauldrons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMvJhE4uis (~3:00 min mark at the end)

(~22 sec)

Since these are canon where do they fit in?

I think you may be confused.  From your link:

The Following list identifies what is now considered official canon...

So as I said above EU, or Legends, is not canon.  The show "Rebels" for which I provided video links above IS CANON.  So the troopers in it are also canon.  Hence what appear to be standard TKs with pauldrons are canon.

Edited by ArmyDocTrooper18

Just do what you want - rules are only relevant when at a event someone is enforcing them. If not ... ignore them and have fun.

Most people are used on seeing pauldrons without knowing (or even caring) for more details, so you need to have a really fanatic supervisor to be not able to wear it. Fanatic and willing to argue, and taking the risk that one of the Troopers planned for the show straight goes away, maybe even with all his friends if they are close friends. Many event-managers are not interested in that sort of trouble.  ;)

But if the initiator of a event is against pauldrons (or other things), it´s not worth to argue no matter if it´s canon or not.

I've had a similar discussion regarding pauldrons; at least for the ranking structure. I recall reading that Black is enlisted (Cpl and below), white is SNCO (higher ranks above Cpl) and Orange for Officers. Anyways I am Heavy Weapons Trooper with a Black pauldron. I understand that I'm considered as EU from the game Star Wars Battlefront. However, it's very possible I may become Canon if my character will be in the new Star Wars Battlefront game soon to be released. I originally wanted to have the pauldron because I saw Rebels and fell in love with Tarkin's personal squad of Stormtroopers with black pauldrons. Alas, I was explained in order to be that particular trooper, I would have to have the same type of armor/helmet design from Rebels. That wasn't the direction I wanted. So I went with the Heavy Weapons Trooper from Star Wars Battlefront. And it just so happens that they are the equivalent to a heavy weapons unit in the Marines (technically Stormtroopers are the Marines of the Empire, which I served from 1998 to 2007 ;) )

Rebels is canon, but I get the feeling for 501st stuff it'll follow the same lines as Clone Troopers. If you're doing a CT from TCW, you're using the animated style armor. If you're using a CT from AOTC or ROTS, you're in the movie style armor. I'm not sure if anyone is making any animated style TK armor, but with more Rebels stuff coming up, I think it's probably not a bad idea.

Honestly, I like the pauldron look as well, and the fix for that is to just do a HWT.

• Like 1

Rebels is canon, but I get the feeling for 501st stuff it'll follow the same lines as Clone Troopers. If you're doing a CT from TCW, you're using the animated style armor. If you're using a CT from AOTC or ROTS, you're in the movie style armor. I'm not sure if anyone is making any animated style TK armor, but with more Rebels stuff coming up, I think it's probably not a bad idea.

Honestly, I like the pauldron look as well, and the fix for that is to just do a HWT.

Well my hope is to do a nice clean ANH-H TK and try to get EIB so that will be without the pauldron obviously.  I understand the idea of keeping the forms of media seperate (TV vs movies), it just seems like the TKs in rebels are relatively close to the movies and differences are likely not intentional.  It is one of those do we go off a literal interpretation or more of a "essence" of what they were trying to do.

And don't worry I get the whole uniformity for a troop and all that, that is why I mentioned all those things in my OP.  I more wanted to get discussion going on whether people thought it would be worthwhile to make an "officer" class, or even maybe probe the brain trust and try to get a delineation as to meaning?

Ultimately I want to do a heavy but without the backpack... lol one step at a time though :-P

Also on a side note it looks as though TFA will continue the awesome use of Pauldrons!!!

...ok so I spent 10min trying to paste a screen shot from the new behind the scenes video but have failed miserably and will just resort to telling you to pause at 1:29 and check out the trooper to the right ;-)

Thanks for starting this thread since I've recently been wondering about this as well.

The TK in my profile pic is not me... but I do hope to join him at Football games as soon as I get my kit built. 

With that said, I plan to get a Red Pauldron and spray paint my team's logo on it in white. Obviously not canon :P

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150178963/star-wars-stormtrooper-shoulder-pauldron?ref=fp_item&aref=45795188558

Edited by UHCoog12

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2015 at 12:28 AM, CN1142 said:

Another clear pic of stormtroopers with pauldrons (spoilers)

------------

http://www.starwars7news.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ep7-38176-1377-1378-07.jpg--------------

I am telling you the pauldron is more than just for the Sandies.  It never made sense to me that they were "sand troopers" more sense that they were just dirty TKs with maybe some special equipment since they are based on planet instead of a ship or space station.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 1