LoveMonkey's AM 2.0 Build Thread

Ok, so I've been slacking with updates, so this might be quite long.  Brace yourselves!

Salt Lake Comic Con is just around the corner on Sept. 24-26.  The goal is to have the armor completed by then.  My garrison's GML has let us all know that if we want to troop in our armor for Comic Con, we need pictures submitted a week prior.  So I've got about 3 weeks until that deadline.  I feel pretty confident I can get it done in time assuming I can find the time to work on it and nothing really confuses me or slows me down.  So here's to hoping!

Since the last post, I went over to a Garrison member's house and he helped me to size my chest/ab/kidney/back/butt/cod pieces, since those are a bit tricky to do yourself.  In his opinion, they should not need much if any trimming as they fit pretty well.  The goal is to get the straps/elastic installed in the pieces and then do any minor trimming if necessary.  So that is a big plus!

Lately I've been working on the shins.  Front cover strip is installed and now I just need to install the back and the velcro to hold it shut.

IMG_0368_zpscx7hjm56.jpg

I've also begun work on finishing the forearms.  First inner strip on the left forearm is installed

IMG_0367_zpsockirg4c.jpg

and first outer strip on right forearm as well

IMG_0369_zpsjolv3l7r.jpg

As I'm making a list to try and plan what still is left to be done, I have a few questions.

1. Because of my small wrists, there is quite a gap that shows in the wrist area.  I've decided to use foam to try and fill that area in.  I haven't had a chance yet to go to Michaels or Joanns, but does anyone know of a good brand of high density, water resistant foam?  I'd like it not to get super compressed and gross from the sweat.

2. I'll be buying the paint for the weathering in the next week.  Is the paint used on the armor also usable on the boots?

3. I'm not handy with a dremel and don't feel confident using it on the bucket to cut out a teeth.  Any suggestions to make this process a bit easier without using a dremel?

4. I'll be starting the bucket here soon.  Any advice that I should know out the gate to make this easier?

There you have it, all of my updates.  Here's to hoping the big push goes well!  And thanks for all the advice you guys will give me along the way!

Edited by LoveMonkey

For the helmet frown, I've seen a couple tutorials where people will drill a couple small holes in the recessed tooth area then finish it up with a xacto knife and small files. 

• Like 1

To clarify, this is by no means a approval deal breaker, it's just an observation. :peace:

In my AM build (pic provided) you'll notice how close the return edge is to the cover strip. 

IMG_0394.jpg

Again, it's not a deal breaker for either yours or Kredal's build, you guys will be fine. I just brought it to light in case you or someone else is interested in knowing. Keep up the good work.

Edited by ukswrath

So I've been putting in a lot of work over the past few days.  Here we go, lots of updates here.

Started finalizing the forearms.  I need to do one more outer cover strip on only the left forearm and then they should be ready for weathering next week.

Here are the forearms in progress.

IMG_0373_zpsbxgeji9d.jpg

IMG_0372_zps0xcylf7x.jpg

Also got the rear cover strip installed on both of the shins.  I will be buying velcro tomorrow.  Besides the sniper plate, the shins are also ready for weathering.

IMG_0370_zpszqzksemq.jpg

Started on the thighs as well.  I almost made the mistake of not getting the crotch curve right and placing both on the left leg.  Caught myself before it was too late.  I've started gluing the first inner cover strip and I will make the final fitment adjustments when it is done gluing.  The left thigh feels great but the right feels a bit off.  I might have cut a tiny bit too much off the back of the right thigh, but I think I can cover it with a larger inner cover strip to hold it together and still have the 25mm outer strip look just right.  I'll keep you posted on Friday once the glue is fully cured on the front.

Any suggestions on how to potentially fix this if needed would be great!

IMG_0375_zpsdefbe0o9.jpg

And finally, got started on the bucket.  Drilled all of the holes out from their pre-indented spots.  When I have magnets available tomorrow I will glue the back and cap together.  Also started drilling out the teeth.  Used a borrowed dremel and boy was I uncomfortable with it.  I'm really happy with how they turned out and they still need a bit of filing and sanding, but considering my lack of experience with a dremel, it's a win for me.

IMG_0376_zpswrhys2bq.jpg

That's all the updates for today.  I'm going on a big shopping trip tomorrow to hopefully get the rest of my needs supplies, such as webbing, elastic, paint for the bucket and weathering, foam for my forearms, etc.  Then back to work tomorrow night.

I have until the 17th to be done so I can troop at Salt Lake Comic Con.  14 days remaining.  Here's hoping I make it!

Started on the thighs as well.  I almost made the mistake of not getting the crotch curve right and placing both on the left leg.  Caught myself before it was too late.  I've started gluing the first inner cover strip and I will make the final fitment adjustments when it is done gluing.  The left thigh feels great but the right feels a bit off.  I might have cut a tiny bit too much off the back of the right thigh, but I think I can cover it with a larger inner cover strip to hold it together and still have the 25mm outer strip look just right.  I'll keep you posted on Friday once the glue is fully cured on the front.

Any suggestions on how to potentially fix this if needed would be great!

Hey Kirk not sure what your asking for advice on here. What to do if you cut off too much of the rear?

I think of the rear of the right thigh, where I trimmed for size and where the rear cover strip will go, might have been cut a bit too much. I'll know for sure when I test fit them again on Friday when the glue dries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think of the rear of the right thigh, where I trimmed for size and where the rear cover strip will go, might have been cut a bit too much. I'll know for sure when I test fit them again on Friday when the glue dries

Sounds good. You had mentioned about using a 25mm rear cover strip, 20mm is spec for the rear of the thighs however, having a visual balance is just as, if not more important than that exact measurement. 

If you can get away with the two sides 10mm apart then I would run a thicker inner cover strip yet still use the 20mm outer.

If you're cutting it close with 10mm and need more like 15mm then go with the wider outer cover strip (23mm..ish). Any more than that on the rear you might as add a shim and call it is what it is, then run the specified 20mm outer. 

• Like 1

Here's a question - how long would you say it would take to complete the inner strapping system?  I've never worked with snaps or webbing before, so I'm curious.  The last big items on my build are this and the weathering.  Depending on how long they take me next week will determine if I'm done in time for Salt Lake Comic Con.

The strapping system, if your going for accuracy or other may take a bit due to experience level and glue drying. The weathering IMHO will take a bit longer. If con is next week, strapping first, weathering after.

Con is end of the month, but submission deadline set by our GML is the 17th. So week and a half. I'm going to try and be done but it is going to be pushing it.

And my strapping system will be basic and functional, with nylon webbing snap plates.

You can have the strapping done in about two days, including E-6000 cure time.  Follow the examples of other people as to where to put the plates, glue them in... then come back the next day and make nylon straps long enough to fit between them all.  Done!  (Then after you're approved, go back and make them all perfect!)

You can have the strapping done in about two days, including E-6000 cure time.  Follow the examples of other people as to where to put the plates, glue them in... then come back the next day and make nylon straps long enough to fit between them all.  Done!  (Then after you're approved, go back and make them all perfect!)

Perfect, thanks.  This week (time permitting with 3 children, one of which is a 2-month old) I am going to knock out the strapping and get a start on the weathering.  Here is to hoping I can get it done in time (and here's to hoping the right thigh back isn't as bad as I'm expecting).

Sounds good. You had mentioned about using a 25mm rear cover strip, 20mm is spec for the rear of the thighs however, having a visual balance is just as, if not more important than that exact measurement. 

If you can get away with the two sides 10mm apart then I would run a thicker inner cover strip yet still use the 20mm outer.

If you're cutting it close with 10mm and need more like 15mm then go with the wider outer cover strip (23mm..ish). Any more than that on the rear you might as add a shim and call it is what it is, then run the specified 20mm outer. 

Thanks, this is the advice I was looking for.  Next chance I get (either Monday or Tuesday depending on my work schedule) I'm going to have my wife help me get this piece measure right.

After a weekend of work and no time for building, I was back at it again today.  My newborn had a doctor’s visit in the afternoon, so I got some unexpected time to paint the helmet.

IMG_0382_zpslk1hzrfo.jpg

IMG_0381_zpsbk7shce8.jpg

IMG_0380_zpsancunvqv.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good.  Accidentally put my finger in the gray teeth paint while I was doing the vocoder.  I need to get some paint thinner to clean up that spot and clean up the vocoder.

Also painted the mic tips that came with the kit.

IMG_0379_zpsgqvnvrwy.jpg

After painting, I had some extra time, so I decided to work on the right thigh.  After several test fits and even more measuring, it fit nicely with the gap at the top coming to 22 mm.  With that, I decided not to add a shim and just went with a big inner cover strip.  The outer cover strip will be able to cover it all up.  Will be using a back strip at 25 mm, since that is what I used on the back of the shins.  

What I can’t decide on is whether or not to fill in that gap with some spare ABS from the trimmings before placing the outer cover strip or just leave it be.  Any thoughts?

IMG_0383_zpsi6vcvcc1.jpg

Lastly, my snaps I ordered arrived today.  Got them from stecksstore.com, which is a leather company.  Much cheaper than Tandy and I think the quality will be comparable, even though I’ve never worked with snaps before.  This bag of 100 snaps and tool cost approximately $28, with priority shipping costs included.  Can’t beat that deal.

IMG_0378_zps4eq9qv4k.jpg

With all of that done today, I compiled a list of what needs to be done by the Comic Con submission deadline of 09/17/2015.  Here goes:

1. Finish Helmet Assembly

---Faceplate Assembly

---Decals

---Inner Padding

---Seals, Green Lenses, etc.

2. Thighs

---Finish gluing inner cover strips

---Glue outer cover strips

---Attach ammo boxes

3. Minor trimming on chest and back attachment

4. Canvas belt and ammo belt attachment

5. Internal Strapping System

6. Weathering

I think that is it...Hopefully.  Now the trick will be getting this list done before next Thursday.  I really want to be in my armor for the Con and be apart of the Garrison photo.

One more question - I’ve been debating about cutting the cod piece from the ab, and then hiding the cut with the belt.  Seems like it would offer more maneuverability.  Your thoughts.

Anyways, thanks for the continued support.  Hopefully I can play in the sandbox soon!