LoveMonkey's AM 2.0 Build Thread

You can see in this picture where elastic connects the forearm to the bicep. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/image/907-arms-1jpg/.  The bicep is then attached to the shoulder armor which is then snapped to then elastic holding the chest and back plate together.  Essentially you have a sleeve that you pull on.

So one more question. The right forearm is the one I worked on at the armor party last month and is the first piece I worked on. We installed both inner cover strips using CA glue. I'm not sure how I like the fit, it seems a bit to big. Before I try to pull it apart and fix it, what do you guys think?

post-23783-143961149305_thumb.jpg

Sorry, elbow shot won't upload

I trimmed off all of the return edge, top and bottom. No need to have anything digging into your shin.

Thanks, good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by LoveMonkey

I just made sure mine was as tight as I could make it (top and bottom), yet still be able to slip my hand through.  

A9FE99A5-88B4-4B2F-9A9B-1AE9B0C7BCB7_zps

Edited by Skypig

If you decide to take it apart, be careful because CA glue is not forgiving and will more than likely take some chunks when you're tearing it apart or cause cracking. I would just use foam and avoid the risk. That's why everyone recommends E6000 on first builds. I've used CA glue but only on parts I am 100% happy with and even then I did it on one side of a coverstrip/innerstrip and the other half E6000.

If you decide to take it apart, be careful because CA glue is not forgiving and will more than likely take some chunks when you're tearing it apart or cause cracking. I would just use foam and avoid the risk. That's why everyone recommends E6000 on first builds. I've used CA glue but only on parts I am 100% happy with and even then I did it on one side of a coverstrip/innerstrip and the other half E6000.

The only concern I have about foam is that it will still look too large and disproportionate with the rest of the armor.

I don't want to put it aside and wait but I might in favor of working on the thighs and shins.

Edited by LoveMonkey

A "safer" option is just cutting down the center of the inner strip, leaving them in place, resizing, cutting right through the strips where you need to, and gluing in (with E-6000!) new strips when you have resized your forearms.

A "safer" option is just cutting down the center of the inner strip, leaving them in place, resizing, cutting right through the strips where you need to, and gluing in (with E-6000!) new strips when you have resized your forearms.

Sounds like a possible option. The one piece I want to resize has both inner strips glued to it with CA glue, so I'd have to cut through those.

Not looking forward to figuring out how to fix this.

After trying them on today and sleeping on the problem overnight, I think using foam will probably be the easiest solution to try first. Is there any foam you guys recommend before I go to a store and look around?

So I've started working on the shins.  I've identified which pieces should fit together and I've trimmed the front side.

IMG_0354_zpspqem5hpt.jpg

The question that I have at this point is how much to trim off the back of the shins.  I would like to have all the trimming done before gluing to make it easy going forward.  Thanks!

IMG_0355_zpsipbbct2c.jpg

Size them to your calves and mark with a pencil the point of overlap, make sure it's centered to the back of your leg. From those marks, give yourself a 1/2" ridge line on each size and cut off the leftover. The cover strip will take up 1/2" on the outer edge. If you go velcro route, the hook section will be on the inside part of the exposed cover strip and the loop section will go on the inner edge of the calf. 

• Like 1

Size them to your calves and mark with a pencil the point of overlap, make sure it's centered to the back of your leg. From those marks, give yourself a 1/2" ridge line on each size and cut off the leftover. The cover strip will take up 1/2" on the outer edge. If you go velcro route, the hook section will be on the inside part of the exposed cover strip and the loop section will go on the inner edge of the calf.

That's what I was planning on, so good to know I'm on the right path.

Went ahead and finished gluing the front inner cover strip on each shin. They look okay and fit nice and snug. Don't know what it is but each cut makes me super nervous that I've cut too much and really messed up this expensive armor kit. Not much else to do out push on and hope my research has paid off.

C871DFE2-0F53-4C2F-B1CC-DF4C78F45F38_zps

Looks good to me. On the shin's rear, the outer part has the finishing strip glued to it. It encloses on top of the inner portion. See ukswrath's build thread if you need a visual. I don't think you have glued anything yet but you have the outer part tucked under the inner in  your pic. 

• Like 1