LoveMonkey's AM 2.0 Build Thread

So here is what the left ear looks like with no screws and touching the black trim at the brow.

373BFBA7-E6D8-4868-9614-03A38B64FC1B_zps

I'm not sure how to fix this. It seems like the ear has too much curve in it to sit right. The right ear doesn't have this problem at all.

Any suggestions? Only thing I've come up with his to use a heat gun to take some of the curve out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW! Ok a couple questions. 

Are the ears the same size, and is there a right and left?

If you were to use a fabric tape and measure the distance on the right side helmet ear indents (upper ear mounting holes) to the lower ear mounting hole would they be the same between right and left sides of the helmet?

Is the helmet symmetrical? The lower section of the helmet, where it curves in relation to the ears, are the right and left sides equal in size?

So, I made progress since my last update in three areas: strapping system, bucket, and weathering.  The strapping system is pretty straight forward.  I made new snap plates and installed them now that I purchased the correct size snaps.  They are gluing and since I already post pictures of that, no need to repeat.  

Second, the bucket.  After trying to mount the left ear starting at the bottom and it not working at all, I decided to start with the top two screws.  I was able to make the top two screws fit for the most part and it seemed pretty flush.  I then pushed the bottom down and held it in place while my wife screwed in the base screw at the bottom.  Here is what it looks like from a side profile:

0BEE9FB1-61F4-454E-A6F4-1425F8A73DCE_zps

What I’m concerned about is that after pushing the ear flush and holding it for my wife to place the final screw, the top screws are now at an angle, which you can see in the pictures below.  They stick out from the ear enough that I notice it when compared with the right ear.  They are also at an angle inside the bucket.  The general public might not notice but I do and it bothers me.

4931BE8B-D302-4997-A7E6-45A5483952DF_zps

A0F0EAB1-E674-442D-9100-10ED7C319C6B_zps

F0D66964-5239-49B1-9DED-619A8E982D53_zps

The only thought I’ve had so far to remedy this would be to remove one of the top screws, drill the hole a little bit bigger, replace the screw, and then repeat with the other top screw.  By making the holes a little bigger might help them sit flush.  And when I say bigger, I might just go back in with a ⅛” drill bit and go through all the holes at the same time, thus helping them all line up correctly.  However, before I do anything and before I attached the nuts on the inside of the bucket I thought I would ask for your advice.

Also, I worked some more on the weathering.  I used mineral spirits to strip some of the burnt umber away and then added some lighter brown, yellow, tan, and gray.  I know that you can still see some of the brush strokes in these pictures.  I did not have as much time as I wanted to work on weathering today after trying the fix the bucket but I wanted to play around with the new colors I had purchased and see what effect I could get.  This is the result.  Was mostly just trying to get the basic color scheme to be more accurate to what I need it to be.

E9528D26-0129-42D1-963C-B42D8DA71EAF_zps

3F4B8979-912A-4EC8-BA3E-9149432616B9_zps

Anyways, there you have it.  More progress.  Since I did not meet my Comic Con deadline, my new deadline is the end of the month, 09/30/2015.  

To Be Completed:

1. Finish Helmet Assembly

---Faceplate Assembly

---Inner Padding

---Seals, Green Lenses, etc.

2. Thighs

---Attach ammo boxes

3. Minor trimming on chest and back attachment

4. Canvas belt and ammo belt attachment

5. Internal Strapping System

6. Weathering

Edited by LoveMonkey

Salt Lake Comic Con was this weekend.  Part of the 501st booth was an armor station where people could watch armor being built and then ask questions.  My armor was featured at this station.  I would love to say I'm ready for approval but as per the norm, I encountered several more setbacks in the strapping system and weathering.  Needless to say I'm hoping to be ready in time for Halloween so I don't let my kids down.

I was able to finally attached the left ear.  I removed on screw at a time and redrilled a new hole, which was fairly close to the original factory setting.  It seems to sit pretty flush, which you can see below.

57945A7D-D274-4C49-A1D0-A2F9193AEF20_zps

CDC62DDF-1421-4811-B603-50520CA4022C_zps

Here is the big question I have.  When I went to attached the bottom seal, I noticed that the ears are off at an angle.  When I put the bucket on, it goes on snug.  It was suggested that I left the side of the bucket so it sits flush with the ear and gives me more room to put on.  I'm not sure if I should trim just on the sides with the ear or if I should go all the way around.  I also don't know how much I should trim.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ECD0CCC5-0C6E-4E47-BF7F-484D7A488308_zps

26CF1E6F-1D4E-4846-BA0E-F84ED652910C_zps

I trimmed just like you have penciled out on both sides of my bucket. When I put the S trim on, I don't tuck the bottom of the ear in the s trim because it makes a gap in the slot of the s trim. I wear a 7 1/4 fitted baseball hat so I don't know if my head is considered big or not lol but it was tough putting my bucket on before making these cuts. I still have to "screw" it on but that's just the nature of the beast anyways. 

So while at Comic Con I worked with fellow garrison members on my internal strapping system and weathering.  Neither is completely done but progress was made.  After Comic Con, I went back with a damp rag and worked off a lot of the paint we put on, attempting to recreate that classic Sandtrooper look.  I think it looks great.  My GML is going to have me work with another member to get the final touches done.

Here’s to being done in the next few weeks for Halloween!

96E2E998-27AA-41F8-A3C5-CAD9F7AD94B6_zps

24B55D89-2F33-47A4-862B-8FF688BDE240_zps

D765D479-FF75-4C18-9C70-374523A2A44D_zps

CE801113-7815-486A-8C80-D5DC32597648_zps

7ACFC801-ECD2-48B4-9461-F491F7AC7FDF_zps

F067EFE2-85AA-469F-BB7F-31DC5A624A21_zps

EFCA2C20-5DD4-4E40-A811-6C020D473352_zps

D3E3847C-7519-44B7-9A81-FE334423D0CC_zps

91F1970A-B242-479C-B761-623776EB47AC_zps

BBB6391A-9FD9-4525-ADFA-D8DC03EC5B39_zps

476DBC8E-9773-48AF-AD82-657141B7AF79_zps

FA39D513-9ABA-4086-A298-93190BBE1EFA_zps

AC0D4856-F84C-4245-AC7E-F4597DBD859D_zps

E39307E0-333C-4D10-A426-D47A56D4C1B8_zps

D095364F-BE47-4205-87D8-A226BFD24AA9_zps

045E0148-0F39-4121-9C2F-DA6D27A88D0F_zps

4A14AEA5-A6E4-4276-A59D-F333B938243A_zps

BFC27CC2-A50D-4A47-AB17-CF48D0F47378_zps

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep the paint from rubbing off?  I noticed that there were streaks in the paint where the armor rubbed against each other while being transported in my bin and I don't want it to come off after a few months after all of this hard work.

You can try to spray it with a clear enamel but in all reality you're a sand trooper, your dirt (weathering) will come and go. As my Sandy wears I just add more acrylic paint as needed.

Once you get SWAT approved, clear coat that sucker! lol 

Did you get any done this weekend? I'm almost done with my AM2.0 legs. Just gotta find the best way to taper fit the back of the thighs. I already took off 45mm from the inner thigh pieces like Tony's build he did a few months back. 

Once you get SWAT approved, clear coat that sucker! lol 

Did you get any done this weekend? I'm almost done with my AM2.0 legs. Just gotta find the best way to taper fit the back of the thighs. I already took off 45mm from the inner thigh pieces like Tony's build he did a few months back. 

I'm working a weekend shift right now, so I never get to work on it over the weekend.  I think I have about 2 weeks left.  I need to finish the weathering with a garrison member (my GML wants him to help me with the small details), finish the strapping system, and the belt.  I also had to order new green lenses from Trooperbay because I cut mine wrong.  It's so close to being done I can hardly stand it.

AM armor is so awesome, I wish I would have got their whole kit to start with. How did you go about sizing the rear of your thighs? I'm trying to avoid the church bell knee. I think I need to keep the bottom aligned size it has that built in ridge around the knee and then pull it in an angle towards the top. Then mark it and find the center point. Does this sound right? 

AM armor is so awesome, I wish I would have got their whole kit to start with. How did you go about sizing the rear of your thighs? I'm trying to avoid the church bell knee. I think I need to keep the bottom aligned size it has that built in ridge around the knee and then pull it in an angle towards the top. Then mark it and find the center point. Does this sound right?

What I did is I cut the front for the proper cover strip size and installed the inner strip. I then held the back pieces together until I got a good fit and had my wife tape and mark them with a pencil. When I was happy with the fit after walking around I lined up the marks with the metal ruler and made the cut.

• Like 1

Ok, the final push begins to be done in time to trick-or-treat in this Halloween night with my kids.  I am going to a fellow garrison members house on Thursday to hopefully finish the weathering and add to fine details to it.

One thing that I still have left to do is attach the thigh ammo boxes.  I've noticed on mine that the end is a square, there is no rounded off part like I have seen on many build threads here.  How much should I cut off one end to round it to the correct form?

Look at ukswrath's ATA bucket build thread. He has the measurements. Then you use the PVC pipe for the thermal detonator to trace out a rounded edge then cut it out.

Thanks, I knew I had seen this somewhere a long way back.

So I've been struggling over the past month to get the final fitting done on the chest/ab/back/kidney/butt pieces and the internal strapping system. I've tried twice to make the internal straps but I think I messed up both times as it didn't fit quite right last night when I tested my last batch of straps.

It's hard to do this by myself and hold up all of the pieces for fitting. My wife has tried to help but she doesn't really know what she is looking at.

Any advice or tips to getting this part done myself?

I'm struggling with all of it. I have a hard time holding the pieces against me to fit and then when I've taped them together, I can't figure out how to measure between the snap plates for the strap lengths.

That and I can't tell if the pieces fit right when they are on me.

Edited by LoveMonkey

We can start with the back plate.

So when I held it up last night, my wife was saying that the back piece wasn't butting up with the kidney plate and that there was a large gap where the under armor was showing. She also said that there was a large gap between my back and the center of the back plate.

Any thoughts?