TK-? My AP build

Hi everyone,

TK-???? here (I know... I can't wait to get my ID). This arrived today! "Arrived" is not quite exact. I live about 20 minutes away form AP. So I picked it up myself and saved time, shipping, time, stress, and time :smiley-sw013:

And so it begins...

001.%20The%20Brown%20Box_zps3yonllb9.jpg

Edited by Somatophylax
  • Like 1

So... after a couple of days (painfully thinking about starting to work on it), I finally opened the box and verified the content.

So many parts!

002.%20So%20many%20parts_zps7sqvbs8c.jpg

002a_zpstlb8nvhr.jpg

002b_zpsyruiurtz.jpg

I decided to tape the articulations and analyze the basic assembly. I was surprised at how the pieces don't necessarily fit perfectly. I will need to either force them into place when I glue them. Or, I'll need to do some trimming. Or both! What are your thoughts on that?

003.%20Preliminary%20taping_zpsplehsok4.

Edited by Somatophylax

So... not much progress still on the armor. Honestly, I'm so scared of fitting and glueing the first piece and I'm not sure how to proceed to make the joint strips :(

So in the meantime I decided to try and test the snaps. I never worked with that before. The first ones aren't really a success. The damn shafts are too long and thus hard to hammer down. The first pair I couldn't make them snap. The second (with the fabric) work, after I also used the hammer to snap them together (which I won't be able to do while wearing the armor). I hope it won't cost me a ton of money before I get it right!

004.%20Damn%20snaps_zpsph1pwjcu.jpg

Edited by Somatophylax

I have a suggestion for you on the snaps.

Use a Phillips head screw driver first, instead of the tool. This helps to split the shaft in four directions, then use the tool to continue to spread them.

It will give you a better fastening and might make it a little easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One thing to concider is that the original suits were very wonky made from much thinner plastic therefore easier to align and glue parts together because the thinner plastic had much less resistance.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Good point Mark :)

Sly11... the trick with the Phillps works quite nicely. Thanks!

Also, thanks to MechaPumpkin's build tread (and advice), I made myself a cutting station.

005.%20Cutting%20station_zpspgvnie8f.jpg

Edited by Somatophylax

So here is my first set of ABS strips ever! They didn't end right as I probably did not press hard enough while cutting (or pressed too hard... I don't know). But they'll do fine for the inner joints of the bicep pieces. I smoothed the edges and rounded up the corners with a dremmel.

6A3137B1-D27D-46BC-91E4-5C06BE8FF31A_zps

Edited by Somatophylax

And there... It's official... Armor building has started! One bicep set with the inner strips waiting to dry. I used E6000. Results in 24 hours ;)

I'll need 6 more strips to finish the pair of biceps. So I'll make them and use the best 4 as the outer strips for a better look.

007.20First20assembly_zpslnefkecd.jpg

Edited by Somatophylax

remember just score using a ruler pressing hard enough, no need to go deep and bend plastic it will break clean with no rough edges, I did tons this way.

Gotcha. The ruler was held down quite well with the tools. But when I got to the middle of it, the cutter blade kind of dug beneath the ruler and so made a curve in the cut. I'll be more careful next time.

Update:  I just did a 2nd pair of bicep strips and they're perfect (I think). So I was much more careful while cutting. Thanks Mark  :smiley-sw013:

Note to self:  Do not wear black pants when sanding white ABS  :P

Edited by Somatophylax

By the way... I'm aiming for centurion right away with my first build. So if someone notices something odd, don't hesitate to point it out. Thanks :)

Stéphane

• Like 1

Hi again,

I made a whole bunch of strips to complete the biceps and forearms. So here are the forearms with the inner strips glued.  I ran out of clamps (damn!). I guess I'll work on more strips or snaps until tomorrow.  I hope they'll glue ok. One of them kept slipping out of place (even with clamps on) and I had to find a way to hold it there. 

IMG_8316_zpsjrljtr5g.jpg

Ok, I have a doubt on the snaps for the upper shoulder bells.  Most people just glue in elastic bases with a male snap in it.  The tutorial section mentions the possibility of using a plastic plate instead of an elastic.  I thought it would be preferable because glueing a piece of ABS with a male snap inside the shoulder bell would stick better. Here's the image from the tutorial section:

4594185747_79e5a668e4.jpg

So, I prepared a couple of ABS plates, drilled a hole of the right size to let the snap shaft go in, and installed it.

009.%20Shoulder%20bell%20snaps_zpsaehqry

But here's my problem. The 'under' part of that plate now has a bump with the back of the snap. Maybe it's just the brand I use, or maybe it's normal. But I wonder how well it will stick now when I glue it.

009a_zps1r5jhgvs.jpg

Since the shoulder bells hold the arm pieces, I want to make sure it has a secure, solid fit.  So maybe I'll have to use elastics instead. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Edited by Somatophylax

Ok, I have a doubt on the snaps for the upper shoulder bells.  Most people just glue in elastic bases with a male snap in it.  The tutorial section mentions the possibility of using a plastic plate instead of an elastic.  I thought it would be preferable because glueing a piece of ABS with a male snap inside the shoulder bell would stick better. Here's the image from the tutorial section:

4594185747_79e5a668e4.jpg

So, I prepared a couple of ABS plates, drilled a hole of the right size to let the snap shaft go in, and installed it.

009.%20Shoulder%20bell%20snaps_zpsaehqry

But here's my problem. The 'under' part of that plate now has a bump with the back of the snap. Maybe it's just the brand I use, or maybe it's normal. But I wonder how well it will stick now when I glue it.

009a_zps1r5jhgvs.jpg

Since the shoulder bells hold the arm pieces, I want to make sure it has a secure, solid fit.  So maybe I'll have to use elastics instead. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Put some heat on it with a heat gun, and press the sides on a flat surface. If you don't have a heat gun, put your plastic in boiling water a couple of seconds. 

So I found some more clamps today.  1$ for 4 at the dollar store. So I got MANY packs :)

I glued the inner strips for the 2nd bicep and I started with one inner strip for the left thigh.  It sucks though to have to wait 24hrs. Oh well... I guess I'll work on something else.

010._zpsek0qbyue.jpg

You can also cut small pieces of shim or cover and glue it to the underside (on both sides of the snap but not over it) so the metal part doesn't touch the armor...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So basically to "sandwich" the back part of the male snap (the part with the shaft)... right?