TK-? My AP build

You should trim equal amounts on each side in order to keep the cover stripes centered. And don't worry about removing the flat sections as on the original thighs there was none, they're here only for people who want to build their kit using the overlapping method.

And yes, enclosing the thighs will require some strong magnets/tape/etc... However, do not trim immediately where the fitting tests imply, always begin by trimming several inches away from that line. Once trimmed, test again to check things out, and continue until you're good.

For the record, here's about how much i removed from the back of my thighs:

12949917514_57dcfcfb36_z.jpg

Also, don't make them too tight around your legs. I like to say that you should be able to slip three-four fingers between your thigh and the external half of the thigh armor at the top.

sans_t10.jpg

Edited by The5thHorseman

Good evening!

So... I did some trimming and re-glued the thighs for a second time. I hope this time it will look good. Note: I saw after I took the pic that one of the magnets was out of place. It's ok now :)

049c_zpsbmfw1zxd.jpg

I also added the velcro strips at the back of the calves. 

050.%20Velcro%20on%20calves_zpsw2kvogwf.

Although I am unsure about something. When I close them, it kind of look funny. The rear outer strip is 25mm wide. This leaves half of it (about 12-13mm) as the width of the velcro strip to put there... right?  And it looks like it might be too narrow to have a good grip when I close them. But it might just be my imagination. At least, the velcro is only visible from the "inside" (left on the right leg, and right of the left leg).  So they're not that visible from the other people's point of view.

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

What would be the alternative to velcro?  I've read about a hook & loop thing. But I never saw a pic of what it looks like and I never understood the descriptions of that solution.

Greetings fellow troopers,

Nice little run tonight. First, I put the final outer strips (on the back) on the thighs.

051.%20Final%20strip%20on%20thighs_zps8a

I glued the ab button plates in place.

052.%20Ab%20button%20plates_zpsv8olx3sc.

Then, I started doing something that scared the hell out of me... making holes in the armor itself  :blink:   I installed the upper-right corner snap on the ab plate as per the Centurion requirement.

053.%20Ab%20upper-right%20snap_zpscngljv

Then, I put in the 2 snaps for the butt attachment. I didn't do the crotch one yet because I've seen snaps and rivets there depending on the build. So I need to clarify this first. And if it's a rivet, then what size, what kind, and where can I get it?

053a.%20Croth%20snaps_zpswhrjodob.jpg

And, just for fun... I decided to have a test drive (ok, I didn't really drive) with the TK boots and greaves. Looks good I think. Although I still have to attach the sniper plate on the left one. That does NOT seem like a fun thing to do.

054.%20Boot%20amp%20greaves%20test_zpstc

That's all folks. This will be my weekend with my daughters... so I'll take a break until Sunday night.

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

Your build is proceeding nicely!  Hand painting your bucket was a good call.  There's a feeling of pride when putting it on knowing you took the harder route.

Nice save by Germain on your thighs. With any cutting, remove a little at a time and continuously check the fit.  I did industrial strength velco on my greaves, there's about 1/2 inch of overlap and I've been having issues with them coming apart, then again mine are a little to tight.  I'll probably switch over to the hook and loop method.  Do a test fit with the boots on too. They may look good sitting there but fit differently when you are actually wearing them.

You can get the rivets for you sides, ammo pack and crotch here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23970-fs-centurion-level-rivet-sets/

I ordered two sets "just in case". They came in handy.

Thanks Mutter,

I already ordered a set of rivets from Echo (with his fan system). I had not noticed that the crotch rivet was included. So that's a nice surprise.  :duim:

The pic of the greaves over the boots.. I'm actually wearing them. It doesn't show because the background is too dark with me wearing my black undersuit... but I'm really wearing them. And I did use industrial-strength velcro. However, initially, once they were glued (from the front), there was a big misalignment in the back. But after leaving them closed (with velcro) for a day, they kind of took a better posture. So I guess it will be alright.

:smiley-sw013:

Nice progress!

And just for future readers, misalignement at the back of the shins is "normal" with AP. Don't be afraid to make few adjustments with some more trimming to even them if it bothers you.

And for the crotch, you should use a split rivet with a 8mm head. The same kind you're using for the left side closure of the abdominal plate with the kidney.

• Like 1

Hello all!

I took some pictures this morning to see how the overall look of the armor looks like. So here's one.

055.%20Overall%20view_zpsglbkiw21.jpg

And one with my princesses. And we all have our "family car stickers" that fit with the overall idea.

055b_zpssyvkqqfw.jpg055c_zpsdybrwy6z.jpg

I think my CT action figure agrees (I use that one when my girls want to play Barbie. CT is just better than Ken).

055aa_zpswzes0hjn.jpg

Then I had a break this morning when my brother and his family came in. My sister-in-law took my daughters for dress & shoe shopping. So, he stayed with me and helped me on the torso armor and the belt. I re-taped the torso (since my rivets are still in the mail) and double-checked the shoulder bridges. That was good because the left one needed some realignment. Then I started adding the ab snaps to attach the canvas belt.

056.%20Belt%20attachment_zps3rnyfgpb.jpg056a_zpsnssdwv2i.jpg

Then, we measured (and re-measured) where the snaps would go on the belt and ammo plate. Finally I attached the dropboxes. I also glued the snap covers on the ammo plate (not pictured).

056b_zps08duijjw.jpg056c_zpsxr95snnw.jpg

I have a little issue with the ammo belt. When I move, I can easily just snap out on the sides. I'm not sure about doing a heat-bending thing on it. Maybe I'll just put some glue in the snaps and have it fixed permanently. Any thoughts?

A second issue is that the greaves tend to twist around. I saw someone put velcro in the front/back of his TK boots, and inside the greaves. I'll see if that would fix the problem.

Technically, I'm almost done.  Here's the list of the remaining tasks:

- For Legion membership:

- Attach the holster to the belt

- Thigh snaps with garter belt

- Crotch and ab/kidney rivets to install (when they arrive)

- Battery pack on right thigh

- Sniper plate on left greave

- Hovi-mics on the bucket (when they arrive)

- Install s-trim and brow

- Take pictures and apply for membership

- For Centurion level:

- Paint the tube stripes (i.e. paint over the current decals)

- For trooping:

- Install Echo's fan system in the bucket (when it arrives)

- Install the iComm/acker system in the chest

- Install padding in the bucket

ComicCon Montreal is in 3 weeks. I will be there (assuming something bad doesn't happen with the postal service and the missing parts).

Cheers!  :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Somatophylax

The ammo belt is supposed to be riveted to the canvas belt, that should solve your problem of the ammo belt going unsnapped at the ends. But heatbending it would most likely also solve it. Bending the ammo belt isn't that difficult, a quick bath in boiling water will soften the ABS enough to bend it gently.

About the greaves, you can add velcro, or snaps to keep them centered, but adding some padding inside them around the calves will also help a lot.

Ok. I think I will do my first angry post but I'll try to leave out all the 4-letter words I've been using in the last 30 minutes.

How the **** am I supposed to fit the sniper plate on the left greave?  30 minutes of trying to figure out a proper position. Nothing works.

I read MANY treads about that issue with the AP... and unfortunately it did not help me understand how to best do it.

Here's my attempt with tape only:

057b_zpsccfkl2ob.jpg057a_zpsfjhfp4og.jpg057.%20Sniper%20plate_zps5vb8zq2q.jpg

I need a beer. :angry:

Edited by Somatophylax

Hello gang,

Not much done today. I decided to finish up the belt. So I cut off the "back loop" on the holster (it had a loop ESB style). I then installed eyelets on the holster straps, and on the belt.

058.%20Holster_zpsrgevbl94.jpg058a.%20Belt_zpsfyon8voq.jpg

And then I used rivets to attach the whole thing. And here is the finished belt.

058b.%20Belt%20completed_zps4cpin7zf.jpg

Then, I thought I'd do something easy to finish off the evening. I tried to glue the shoulder bridges on the chest plate. That was NOT fun!  The darn thing kept sliding off track. And because of the shape, my magnets wouldn't hold on it. After trying for about 20 minutes, I finally was able to set it with 4 heavy clamps. So I decided that it was enough for today. I'll do the other one tomorrow maybe.

059.%20Right%20shoulder%20bridge_zps6yws

Cheers!

Ha ha, the dreaded AP sniper plate.

I used the hot water in the bucket trick to change the curvature a little.

Then used Zappa gap and the zip kicker on the first corner, aligned it hit it with zip kicker, clamped it anyway, then moved to the other side.

With this side, I hit the corner that you need to Ali g with the ridge with a heat gun.

First the shin ridge itself, then forced it to the sniper plate so as to bulge the shin ridge out a little. Then heat gun on the sniper plate ridge, and held the parts together until the plate dolled and partially moulded to the ridge shape.

Hit that with Zappa and zip kicker for a fast bond.

As my front cover strip made contact with the back of the sniper plate, I ran a bead of Zappa gap around it so as to give a third secure point. It has been firmly in place since July last year, with no signs of budging.

Hope this helps a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn!  Had a bit of an incident it seems.  While sorting the magnets and preparing them for storage, I accidentally dropped one and it found its way to a nearby magnet... then another... then another... creating a chain reaction where all 30 magnets got together.  Not only I find it very difficult to take them apart. But it looks like about a third of them shattered and their pieces are hard to get off.

I need a beer!

Damn!  Had a bit of an incident it seems.  While sorting the magnets and preparing them for storage, I accidentally dropped one and it found its way to a nearby magnet... then another... then another... creating a chain reaction where all 30 magnets got together.  Not only I find it very difficult to take them apart. But it looks like about a third of them shattered and their pieces are hard to get off.

I need a beer!

Yep...I feel your pain...

Hello fellow troopers,

A bit of work today.  The shoulder bridge I glued yesterday seems good. So I glued the second one.

059a.%20Left%20shoulder%20bridge_zpswf0c

Then, I took the garter belt I ordered from PenCap510 (thanks man!), and measured where the snaps should go in the thighs. And here there are.

060.%20Thigh%20snaps%20for%20garter%20be

Tomorrow, I'll be able to walk in the apartment with the thighs in place :)

I also put glue in the 3 snaps that hold the ammo belt on the canvas belt. Once dry, I shouldn't have any problem with the ammo belt snapping off because of the tension.

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

- Attach the holster to the belt

- Thigh snaps with garter belt

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

Good evening Empire!

Here's the current progress report.  I received my Hovi Mics from Keith. With that I can finally finish the bucket for Legion membership.

Brow trim installed:

063.%20Brow%20trim_zpsedrtzmyn.jpg

Neck s-trim installed. That was not easy to install. I eventually figured out the correct side to insert. At the end, which was much too long, I cut the extra off while leaving a bit over half an inch extra. I then squeezed it in and pressure should make it stay in place.

063a.%20Neck%20s-trim_zpsbzwpfgs8.jpg

Hovi Mics installed:

063b.%20Hovi%20Mics_zpsgy6klcix.jpg

Ta-dah!  For Legion membership, a completed bucket!

063c.%20Completed%20bucket_zps3heaxwkf.j

I also tried the thighs with the snaps I glued in last night... all with PenCap510's garter belt. All seems good :)

061.%20Thighs%20attached_zps21h52dlf.jpg

I admit I can barely bend down with those on. I don't know if it's normal or if it's because I should have shortened them. Putting on the boots AFTER wearing the thighs will be quite challenging. Talking of challenge... I decided to test a full leg assembly.

062.%20Leg%20assembly_zps9oc5hwml.jpg

And a closeup of the knee plate. Now... what do you think?  Does it look like it is in the right place (with the masking tape I mean)?  If so, then I guess I will have to start glueing that thing.

062a.%20Knee%20junction_zps3dfrmvfo.jpg

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

- Velcro on boots/greaves to prevent them from spinning

Cheers!

Edited by Somatophylax

Greetings,

After a break yesterday, here's the progress report for today.  I got a set of rivets today (thanks Eric!).

So I measured and drilled holes and installed the rivets on the ab & kidney plates. I have to paint them white now.

064.%20Ab-kidney%20plate%20rivets_zpsahj

as well as the crotch area (don't you just stare at my crotch please)  :P

064a.%20Crotch%20rivet_zpsidbv5tit.jpg

Note that all these rivets are purely decorative because I'll use snaps to attach the sides and under parts.

So here are all the necessary snaps being glued.

065.%20Kidney%20plate%20side%20snaps_zps066.%20Ab%20plate%20side%20and%20crotch%

I also have a pair of rivets for the thigh battery pack. But I'm not sure how to proceed to install them. The tutorials and treads I've checked so far all show the final results... but not how they did it.  So it will come soon.

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

- Paint the ab/kidney/thigh rivets white

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

Cheers!

Greetings,

After a break yesterday, here's the progress report for today.  I got a set of rivets today (thanks Eric!).

So I measured and drilled holes and installed the rivets on the ab & kidney plates. I have to paint them white now.

064.%20Ab-kidney%20plate%20rivets_zpsahj

as well as the crotch area (don't you just stare at my crotch please)  :P

064a.%20Crotch%20rivet_zpsidbv5tit.jpg

Note that all these rivets are purely decorative because I'll use snaps to attach the sides and under parts.

So here are all the necessary snaps being glued.

065.%20Kidney%20plate%20side%20snaps_zps066.%20Ab%20plate%20side%20and%20crotch%

I also have a pair of rivets for the thigh battery pack. But I'm not sure how to proceed to install them. The tutorials and treads I've checked so far all show the final results... but not how they did it.  So it will come soon.

FINISH LINE LIST:

For Legion membership:

- Paint the ab/kidney/thigh rivets white

For Centurion level:

For trooping:

Cheers!