Help! Tube Stripe Disaster?

I'm VERY close to completing the exterior of my helmet, so I'm getting a little excited!

All I have left to do is carve out and fit the right ear.

I assembled the helmet tonight so I could start working on the right ear...

As with most things I build, I've made this FAR more difficult than necessary...

I started with an AP lid and did my best to convert it to a Hero helmet.

(Please, I'd rather avoid the debate about how an AP helmet isn't the correct shape for a hero helmet...)

Modifications:

4th tooth removed from both sides of frown with a heat iron

AP ears re-scuplted from 4 bumps to 3 bumps with Milliput putty

Homemade bubble lenses formed in the kitchen from a grinding faceshield

All hand painted details (hoping to achieve 501st, EIB, then Centurion right out of the gate).

Here's the problem:

I used Trooperbay tube stripe templates.

There are 15 stripes on the right side and 16 stripes on the left side.

I painted the tube stripes with the helmet disassembled.

When I assembled it tonight, I noticed the left ear overlaps the 16th stripe.

I can see the right ear is also going to overlap the 15th stripe on the right side.

Do I need to remove all the stripes and start over?

OR can I just remove the last stripe on each side?

It's the first helmet I've EVER built, so go easy on me...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aaron

Pictures:

xmD6OUo.jpg

BUEJuH6.jpg

zhLA7iH.jpg

I had the same exact issue, just remove the last stripe that goes under the ear on each side!

Mine was for stunt, but I believe its the same? Maybe someone else can chime in to be sure for hero

Edited by bearings

Hero CRL says:

Tube stripes are medium blue, and include (11) or (13) per side, but can be between (9) and (16) per side with the curve bends extending backwards.

I think removing the ones under the ear should be fine!

Awesome!  Thanks for looking that up, Ben.  I didn't even think to check the CRL.  Now, YOU'RE a hero!

When I was recently building a Hero I did some looking in the gallery at the photographed hero helmets and the left side was 11 and the right side was 12... or the other way around. But since the CRL gives the allowance to have up to 16, as others have said, erase the extra stripe with some mild paint thinner/brush cleaner and you're done.

great looking helmet.

Thanks, Vern!  When I finish my AP armor, I'm considering a "real" TM hero helmet.  What brand is your hero helmet?

When I was recently building a Hero I did some looking in the gallery at the photographed hero helmets and the left side was 11 and the right side was 12... or the other way around. But since the CRL gives the allowance to have up to 16, as others have said, erase the extra stripe with some mild paint thinner/brush cleaner and you're done.

After the post from the CRL, I went hunting through my "hero" picture folder counting stripes.  I see 11 stripes on a few, but those stripes look too "chunky" to me.  In the elevator scene, Han's helmet has 13 stripes.  "13" is a lucky number at my house, so that was the final deciding factor.  I removed 2 stripes on one side and 3 stripes on the other side.  The paint lost the battle with a popsicle stick dipped in paint thinner. Now there's 13 stripes on each side.  I must admit, it looks much better now.  With all the other modifications, I can't believe I missed this!!!  Thanks again to everyone who replied! :)

Awesome paintjob Aaron. Looks wonderful.

I have 2 hero helmets.   1 Mrce fully modified.  2 TM hero.

You must live in a far far away galaxy where 1+2 is equal to 2... : p

Edited by The5thHorseman
  • Like 1