Flat film lenses on your bucket ( how did you do it? )

I am working on my first helmet and have been trying to figure out how best to install the flat film lenses. I don't have a lot of space between my eyes and the eye openings. I am sure there are many ways to do it, please let me know how you did it. Its an ESB so I can't use the molded lenses. Any ideas or assistance is appreciated. 

I trace the opening on cardboard first, then using that as a template apply to the lens, cut out slightly larger, using a heat gun gently warm the lens material, hold against eye opening until cools then glue into place with some hot glue.

There are many ways to hold them in place, hot glue, double sided screws, silicon, Tape, screws with plastic blocks and so on.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2015 at 5:47 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

I trace the opening on cardboard first, then using that as a template apply to the lens, cut out slightly larger, using a heat gun gently warm the lens material, hold against eye opening until cools then glue into place with some hot glue.

There are many ways to hold them in place, hot glue, double sided screws, silicon, Tape, screws with plastic blocks and so on.

I did mine the same way .... traced the openings ... cut ... heated them up carefully ... then laid them on top of the opening to mold to it, then I used CA glue instead of Hot Glue.

-----

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 1/10/2015 at 5:57 AM, R4ZORBL4DE said:

I did mine the same way .... traced the openings ... cut ... heated them up carefully ... then laid them on top of the opening to mold to it, then I used CA glue instead of Hot Glue.

Man, I wish I had done that before assembling everything. Mine is the one sheet of green plastic held in w velcro and E6000.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I just cut one long "goggle" piece of the lens material that went around both eye holes.  Then, I got a wooden cylindrical rod that I got at Michael's and cut six pieces of about half an inch long.  I sanded the pieces down to allow the lens to fit flush against the mask.  I then glued those pieces onto the mask with E6000 glue....two anchors on the top brow area per eye and one on the bottom near the lower eyelid area.  These will act like anchors for the screws.  Once the glue dried, I just screwed the lens to the mask via basic screws that were about 0.25 inch long.  

I also used strips of velcro ( the soft felt-like side.....not the hook side) as padding on the lens strip since my cheeks touch the bottom portion of the lens strip when I have my mask on.  

The nice thing about this setup is that you can remove the lenses whenever you like--i.e. when I wanted to added another coat of black plastidip.

Edited by hon143

Doesn't CA glue adhere to oil and fingerprints?  I'd be very wary about using CA glue for anything that needs to be optically clear like ophthalmic lenses.  Because if there's any oils present, CA glue (even the fumes) will adhere to the oils and create an opaque film on the clear media.

Doesn't CA glue adhere to oil and fingerprints?  I'd be very wary about using CA glue for anything that needs to be optically clear like ophthalmic lenses.  Because if there's any oils present, CA glue (even the fumes) will adhere to the oils and create an opaque film on the clear media.

Thats whats holding my lenses in and there is no problem at all ..

Here is mine;  got the upgraded thicker lens from Trooperbay.  Bent them in place, marked the screw holes and drilled them and used the ear screws, as mentioned above.  Holds perfect and they vent so they do not fog up! 

wv4OxV1.jpg

3uyrEsW.jpg

• Like 2

I got a green visor from e-bay. Cut them long enough do that I can mount them on the screws of my ears. Got the idea from a Trooperbay video.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

------------------

Ok

Ok its all done . I used the entire strip method to get the lens in. I still need to adjust it a little but I am happy with how it turned out. How did i do???

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm one step closer to getting my armor done. By the way, did anyone see anything that need to be changed? I shooting for approval with my first submission.

Do tube stripes seem a bit low?

Right side looks good. Left side looks a little low. I don't think it's too terrible tho... unless you're OCD. Overall build is great!

I'll post some better pictures later on today. I let my squad leader look at it and he thought the stripes were fine but had a few other critiques on the inside.  

---------------

Sorry for the delay, here are some HQ pics.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...

I just cut one long "goggle" piece of the lens material that went around both eye holes.  Then, I got a wooden cylindrical rod that I got at Michael's and cut six pieces of about half an inch long.  I sanded the pieces down to allow the lens to fit flush against the mask.  I then glued those pieces onto the mask with E6000 glue....two anchors on the top brow area per eye and one on the bottom near the lower eyelid area.  These will act like anchors for the screws.  Once the glue dried, I just screwed the lens to the mask via basic screws that were about 0.25 inch long.  

I also used strips of velcro ( the soft felt-like side.....not the hook side) as padding on the lens strip since my cheeks touch the bottom portion of the lens strip when I have my mask on.  

The nice thing about this setup is that you can remove the lenses whenever you like--i.e. when I wanted to added another coat of black plastidip.

If you have the time to post a few close up's of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan