ANH Stunt ATA re-Build Part 2

ukswrath

Continuing on, part 2....

Part 1 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29683-anh-stunt-ata-re-build-part-1/

5. Calves - As you can see the rear connecting joints were cut incorrectly and had incorrect sized cover strips improperly installed. The sniper plate was riveted instead of glued. The front cover strips either too long or too short exposing a gap between sections.

9.jpg13.jpg20.jpg

Cautiously I removed the rivets and super glued sniper plate.

IMG_2524.jpg

After correctly the joints, sanding and prepping, the calves were reassembled. Cover strips were glued in place.

IMG_2742.jpgIMG_2746.jpg

I know it’s customary and acceptable to use “for sale†sign plastic for the inner cover strips however, since I was going through all this work I decided to order extra strip sheets from Terrell (ATA).

IMG_2747.jpg

Correct calf shape using hot water and tie straps.

Reshape9.jpg

Prepped the water and bucket

Reshape2.jpgReshape3.jpg

Prepped the right calf with tie straps

Reshape5.jpg

Right side after hot water bath

Reshape6.jpg

Left side

After hot water bath

Reshape8.jpg

Assemble connecting calf half strap & hooks from my "Rear calf closure clips" tutorial. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29132-diy-rear-calf-closure-clips-aka-%E2%80%9Cbra-clips%E2%80%9D/

StrapN1.jpgStrapN2.jpgStrapN3.jpgStrapN5.jpgStrapN6.jpg

or... most common, sew in hook and elastic material method

StrapE1.jpg

Glue into calves

IMG_2826.jpgIMG_2836.jpg

Drill strap hook holes. Gel fill left post build sniper plate holes. Reshape and reattach sniper plate. Polish exterior. Finished

IMG_3335.jpgIMG_3336.jpgIMG_3395.jpgIMG_3396.jpgIMG_3403.jpgIMG_3404.jpgIMG_3406.jpg

6. Thighs (right & left) & concerns (not all pics shown) - Ammo belt shaped and installed incorrectly. Cover strips were too wide, too long or too short. Both thighs were completely disassembled and reassembled. Reshape, fill in holes in ammo belt and correctly connect to thigh.

ThighD1.jpgThighD8.jpg

ThighD11.jpg

ThighA6.jpg

I elected not to glue the elastic thigh support (due to I lost the ability to attach the torso sections keeping those screen accurate). Instead I assembled and installed a very easy to use double snap mount system, using 3†wide black elastic, thin plastic and 4 snaps. I then assembled and installed a thigh support belt. 

ThighD12.jpgThighD15.jpgThighD16.jpgThighD18.jpgThighD19.jpgThighD20.jpgThighD21.jpgThighD23.jpg

Assembly thigh straps

ThighD24.jpgThighD25.jpgThighD30.jpg

ThighD32.jpg

ThighD35.jpgThighD39.jpgThighD40.jpgThighD43.jpg

Connect to calves

ThighD44.jpg

Assemble connect the other side of the elastic straps to garter belt

IMG_3381.jpgThighD50.jpg

Once all thigh corrections were completed, the exterior was polished.

ThighA1.jpgThighA2.jpgThighA3.jpgThighA4.jpg

7. Bells, biceps and forearms – (Bells) Shaped incorrectly, incorrect or damaged strapping installed. (not all pics shown)

BicepB1.jpgBellB1.jpg

Bells - Remove previous strapping method, sand and paint.

BellD1.jpg

Assemble and install bell to shoulder and bicep straps.  

BellD4.jpgBellD5.jpgBellD6.jpg

Glue shoulder straps

BellD8.jpg

Glue bicep straps

BellD11.jpgBellD12.jpg

Biceps - (Biceps) Shaped incorrectly, jagged edges, incorrect size/length or damaged cover strips installed. Disassemble and reassemble installing new cover strips. Reshape out of round bicep in using hot water and tie straps. Trim edges. Replace cover strips. 

BicepD8.jpg

Reshape out of round biceps with hot water and tie strap (strap not shown)

Before

BicepD3.jpg

After 

BicepD4.jpg

BicepD7.jpg

Reshape and trim biceps of sharp uneven return edge. Thanks for the tip Adam T.

Assemble and glue bicep to bell strap hooks

BicepD11.jpgBicepD13.jpg

Note: Using gloves to avoid possible burns. Using heat gun apply heat at plastic near edge of clipboard. When plastic is soft, bend around edge.

BicepD17.jpgBicepD20.jpg

Measure to ensure both hooks are mounted evenly.

BicepD21.jpg

Hook for other side

Glue in place 

BicepA1.jpg

After dried install in bell and check strap fit. Clean and polish exterior surface. 

BicepA2.jpg

8. Belt assembly – Holster positioned incorrectly, ammo belt trimmed incorrectly and had wear damaged, drop boxes had no rear covers and were connected and located on the canvas belt incorrectly. Unfortunately the canvas belt was too damaged to reuse. Having screws run through it, gun holster and other items secured in the wrong positions it would have been more trouble to repair then replace.

Correctly trim sand, polish and install ammo belt. Trim and attach holster using ANH Stunt specs. Correctly assemble, polish and attach drop boxes.

NOTE: Drop boxes and holster connected with snaps being the armor will be used for Stunt and Heavy Weapons Trooper which requires the drop boxes and holster to be removed.

Assemble - Drop boxes

IMG_2929.jpgIMG_2933.jpgIMG_2934.jpg

Assemble belt - Find center of canvas and ammo belt, temporarily bolt together.

Align and mark drop box location in relation to canvas ammo belt

IMG_2939.jpgIMG_2940.jpgIMG_2943.jpg

Install snaps on belt for drop box and ab plate. Install drop box strap rivet.

IMG_2947.jpg

Rivet ammo belt to canvas belt

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

Mark position on canvas belt for gun holster

HolsterplacementANH.jpgIMG_3027.jpgIMG_3029.jpg

Drill snaps in preparation for rivet install

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3048.jpgIMG_3049.jpgIMG_3051.jpgIMG_3052.jpg

Grind down excessive rivet prodding from snap

IMG_3054.jpg

Install holster

Install rivet covers

IMG_3057.jpg

Finished

BeltA1.jpgBeltA6.jpg

9. Thermal Detonator – AHHHHH!!! End caps were badly cracked, control panel in the wrong location badly worn, belt clips were badly bent and a screw hole drilled into the tube. Basically the TD was useless. I had a spare kit so I built it to specs.  

Old - 

TDB2.jpg

New - 

IMG_2780.jpg

TDA4.jpg

TDA2.jpgTDA3.jpg

TDA5.jpg

TD Update: Through my EIB and Centurion approvals I discovered my TD was inaccurate in a couple areas and wanted to post the revisions in the spirit of correctness. Here's what the inaccuracies were and what I had to do to remedy them. The TD clips were too small in width, weren't positioned correctly and the TD itself was a 1/2" too long. Long story short I made new clips, shortened the tube and re-positioned the face plate.

IMG_3457.jpgFinal3.jpgIMG_3456.jpg

10. E-11 – Hasbro with partial Droopy Do kit other electronics (not shown). I have a Hyperfirm so I will NOT be using the Hasbro. For sale if anybody wants it. PM me for pics

That’s about it. What should have taken me a couple weeks has been a couple months, and my budget is all but non-existent. On a positive note I have a nice set of armor I like and mountain of knowledge when it comes to repairing ABS. May the information I’ve provided help you in your purchasing choices, a build or a build situation. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.    

EIB request - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29712-tk-10116-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-ata/

Centurion request - http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29743-tk-10116-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ata144/

Part 1 http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29683-anh-stunt-ata-re-build-part-1/

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2

Many, many thanks to all.

Patience Scott  :laugh1: I want to display this more than you unfortunately I'm still waiting for my gloves/guards to arrive I ordered last month. I was half tempted to clean up my TD gloves then remembered the reason why this post exists :blink:.   

Edited by ukswrath

Let's see the finished trooper! 

BTW love the "Shim it real good" post. Never thought of the acetone and scrap trim stew method :duim: . The creativity that comes out of FISD never seizes to amaze me. Great job.  

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 1

Great work, so far! Garrison meeting on Feb. 7, Saturday, in Santa Clara, at St. Johns (bar & hamburger), go to the GGG forum and let everyone know if you are coming. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend.

Great work, so far! Garrison meeting on Feb. 7, Saturday, in Santa Clara, at St. Johns (bar & hamburger), go to the GGG forum and let everyone know if you are coming. Unfortunately, I will be out of town that weekend.

Thanks Anthony.

I'll be at the gathering, sorry you won't be. That's ok I'm sure we'll run into each other sometime soon. 

• 2 weeks later...