Episode 7 Stormtrooper Helmet, WIP

I'm not arguing about your source material. I realize that Disney supplied something. It's just that the something they provided is not what was on display in the TFA room. I might have an untrained eye, but I'm not blind. I believe what we have been given is a reasonable facsimile and that Disney will N-E-V-E-R give up the real plans.

Here is some more source material: Notice the "duck bill", that is not as pronounced on the screen used helmet. 

257_1200x1200x80_00_The_Black_Series_For

260_1200x1200x80_1609860_101533891201193

Here is something interesting to check out.

Some test prints. Are the grid squares REALLY BIG, or REALLY SMALL?  :smiley-sw013:

image003_zpsajlgzdfw.png

The can make great keychains - not sure if you thought of that?

Hi Derrek

Was very happy to see this thread pop up on Tapatalk today. Looking at the work you and Roy have done on the 3D renders I'll be very interested to see the final results. Will you be producing the kits in Europe when you get going (hope so)?

Please don't take this as a criticism (it's not meant that way) but when I was looking at your most recent renders the nose section seems to be missing the rectangular cut outs on the side.

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-

Will you be adding these or leaving them off due to the production method?

Please keep up the good work and I know I'll be following this thread with more interest now.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Derrek

Was very happy to see this thread pop up on Tapatalk today. Looking at the work you and Roy have done on the 3D renders I'll be very interested to see the final results. Will you be producing the kits in Europe when you get going (hope so)?

Please don't take this as a criticism (it's not meant that way) but when I was looking at your most recent renders the nose section seems to be missing the rectangular cut outs on the side.

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-

Will you be adding these or leaving them off due to the production method?

Please keep up the good work and I know I'll be following this thread with more interest now.

Cheers

Andy

Please criticize!!!! Constructive criticism is the way things get done.

Great eye for detail there as well. They are indeed not on this model but will be on the next version that is being worked on before production in the coming weeks. These are used as airvents. Under the nose piece are some slots for air near your nose. The white nose part is raised with those channels to allow air to escape. We will be replicating this on the model as well.

• Like 2

Glad that my comment was taken in the spirit it was meant. :)

If you intend to release new renderings before going for the full scale 'physical' prototype would it be possible for a 3D render that can be spun around to see it from more angles or even a short animation of it spinning? Hopefully anything 'odd' might become apparent to more eyes. Hopefully this would still allow security against copying.

Either way I look forward to seeing the next step :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad that my comment was taken in the spirit it was meant. :)

If you intend to release new renderings before going for the full scale 'physical' prototype would it be possible for a 3D render that can be spun around to see it from more angles or even a short animation of it spinning? Hopefully anything 'odd' might become apparent to more eyes. Hopefully this would still allow security against copying.

Either way I look forward to seeing the next step :)

I will talk to roy about doing a quick rotational render video. The plan is to drop it here a few days before giving the go ahead for machining. Hopefully this allows any detail freaks to help out. Roy and I have combed over this really solid but another set of eyes is always appreciated.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Love the work so far. Your dedication is astounding. This community continues to impress me.

I have a few recommendations. Feel free to shoot them down.

Padding:

- The helmet padding uses simple Velcro backing and is adjustable to the users needs. Typically pretty cheap to purchase from Amazon/surplus store. The chin str

Chin Strap:

- This would probably be a bit more difficult to mount within the helmet. I can definitely testify to its fit and durability though. Used this design for six years. Never once had a complaint.

post-24063-0-46397600-1434846422_thumb.jpg

post-24063-0-96394800-1434846504_thumb.jpg

Love the work so far. Your dedication is astounding. This community continues to impress me.

I have a few recommendations. Feel free to shoot them down.

Padding:

- The helmet padding uses simple Velcro backing and is adjustable to the users needs. Typically pretty cheap to purchase from Amazon/surplus store. The chin str

Chin Strap:

- This would probably be a bit more difficult to mount within the helmet. I can definitely testify to its fit and durability though. Used this design for six years. Never once had a complaint.

Hi John,

These are great suggestions however I will be offering these as a kit at first, and a painted version a little later. The interior finishing will be left up to the buyer. As the first waves go out, I may look into integrating some options like this.

• Like 1

Understood. I think I just assumed you'd make a custom one for yourself first. Being a guinea pig never turned out bad did it?

I will surely get to making one!  :smiley-sw013:

The real question is when will I get some time to do it. The first 3 castings are reserved but I plan on doing a run of 10 beyond this to start. No signups yet but I will likely be doing an opening phase for this to help cover costs of the design and creation of the prototype and molding. It will be a special introductory price for those who are wanting to jump on the front and wait a little longer while it is produced but in turn save some hard earned money.

Details to follow as soon as the design is finalized once more with some new details., but not in this thread....  :laugh1:

• Like 4

Great to see a night owl like myself:) Im up late building R2 - why are YOU up so late? :). Reserve a spot for me, please - the first 3 are taken, I see - can I get #4? :)

I'm in Germany, so it's bright and early for me!

I'm not currently taking the reservations just yet. I want to be able to give a solid timeline before I start making promises I can't keep. I will keep the first run tight so that I don't get so far down the line I am not able to produce in good time and having people waiting for a long time due to unforseen problems or something.

Once the first run is out, the following runs will be there to ensure everyone who wants one can get one, and the turn around should be fairly quick.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, actually I do. I got the prototype master in the mail the other day.

It still needs a few touch ups and smoothing in a few of the assembly areas but it looks damn fine.

Because of the deal I made with the early adopters, I'm waiting until next week to post up the photos.

I'll be on vacation and or out of the country starting the 14th until September 15th. Once I am back from this I'll start making the copies finally.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...