Alternate T-Track Supplier

usaeatt2

Hi guys,

Roy responded to member requests and started offering sets of 6 x 8" (20cm) pieces for $40 USD (and free shipping).

He added the option in his web shop: http://wannawanga.co...oducts/t-track/

Here's a description thread from the RPF:

http://www.therpf.co...r-parts-228132/

COMPARISON PHOTOS:

PROFILE CLOSEUP - GINO (LEFT), ROY (CENTER), MARV (RIGHT)

RCVp8NQ.jpg

TOP CLOSEUP - GINO (LEFT), ROY (CENTER), MARV (RIGHT)

UnA715j.jpg

CLOSEUP PERSPECTIVE VIEW - GINO (FRONT), ROY (BACK)

2Nd41EZ.jpg

SIDE CLOSEUP - GINO (LEFT), ROY (RIGHT)

ZnznStm.jpg

TOP CLOSEUP - ROY (TOP), GINO (BOTTOM)

NTLWCQq.jpg

NORMAL VIEW - GINO (LEFT), ROY (CENTER), MARV (RIGHT)

Note: GINO track is shorter because this is a remnant left over from my E-11 build.  I believe GINO tracks are 10" long.

4AhiiiH.jpg

MEASUREMENTS:

(taken directly from my samples with a Starrett micrometer - sizes may vary slightly due to manufacturing tolerances)

Base width:

Marv - 11.4mm

Gino - 12.8mm

Roy - 13.2mm

Height:

Marv - 8.3mm

Gino - 6.8mm

Roy - 7.0mm

Bottom arc width:

Marv - 5.2mm

Gino - 7mm

Roy - 7.3mm

PRICES:

To my knowledge, these are the current prices for a enough T-track to do an E-11 blaster :

$30 Marv

$50 Roy  $40 Roy

$80 Gino

HAPPY BUILDING!

• Like 3

So if Marv's are $30 and Roy's are $50, how are Roy's a better price?

Marv's don't completely cover the width of the holes, but they work great if you're doing resin and only drill out the front and back holes.

Roy's look like they'll cover, so they're more screen accurate at a better price than Gino's.

Still, $50 for a couple strips of plastic sounds mad to me....accurate or not

And I should probably read the post more carefully. I didn't read your prices correctly. They are $30 cheaper than Gino's

I agree that $50 for 6 strips of plastic is madness, but $80 is even worse.

That said, no one has ever 'found' the screen-accurate storm door/window track, so Gino and Roy made tooling for custom extrusions.

The price offsets the cost of the tooling. Still crazy, but I understand why.

The price to pay for accuracy?

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to have more options.

. I would hope that making these t tracks long term would eventually make back the investment to create custom extrusions, then these tracks could be offered at a lower price. That's probably wishful thinking.

Edited by Bulldog44

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to have more options.

. I would hope that making these t tracks long term would eventually make back the investment to create custom extrusions, then these tracks could be offered at a lower price. That's probably wishful thinking.

I have been in contact with Roy on the RPF and am helping him to arrive here and on other 501st forums, since he has stuff applicable for us and the SLD as well.

As to the cost going down over time, it might happen, but I really doubt it.

The investment wasn't in him making his own equipment.... that would be ultimately more expensive. I'am sure the actual equipment is not within reach of normal mortals. He has engaged a factory-fabrication shop that has already paid the costs for this equipment, but the molds and such needed to still be made by the shop.

He is paying a lot per set, and I'm sure isn't making a ton above his cost even at the prices you see. He has to make some, to even make it worth his time but trust me, he isn't getting rich here. If the costs go down over time, I think that will be up to the manufacturing shop and if it does, then my guess is he will pass this saving onto us.

I have discussed the dimensions we need for the E11s as well as quantities and once he lands here he will setup his on-going thread with a link to his webshop. After talking to him about the lengths, he said he will be able to shave some off the cost of his set of 6 at 20cm, which is more them long enough for the E11s, which need 5x17cm and 1x19cm. Maybe as we go he can get them a little shorter for cheaper, but this leaves less chance for errors on the makers part, you get one bend :D No mistakes.

• Like 1

I have been in contact with Roy on the RPF and am helping him to arrive here and on other 501st forums, since he has stuff applicable for us and the SLD as well.

I have discussed the dimensions we need for the E11s as well as quantities and once he lands here he will setup his on-going thread with a link to his webshop. After talking to him about the lengths, he said he will be able to shave some off the cost of his set of 6 at 20cm, which is more them long enough for the E11s, which need 5x17cm and 1x19cm. Maybe as we go he can get them a little shorter for cheaper, but this leaves less chance for errors on the makers part, you get one bend :D No mistakes.

Funny, I emailed Roy last night and essentially asked the same thing about custom dimensions.

10" is too long.  The longest piece I needed was about 7", so I requested pricing for a set of 8" (20cm) strips.

Just enough to get the job done without burning your fingers and not have a bunch of excess left over.

Still, $50 is less than $80 if you're looking for the ultimate in accuracy.

I was hoping by reducing E-11 set sizes from 10" to 8", the price would come down to the $40-$45 range.

At $40, it would be a NO-BRAINER decision.

Slightly more than Marv for better accuracy and 1/2 the price of Gino...

Just sayin'.

Edited by usaeatt2

I'm pretty sure he will be doing this. From our conversations he will be offering a 20m set for us E11 people, which will help drive the cost down a little.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure he will be doing this. From our conversations he will be offering a 20m set for us E11 people, which will help drive the cost down a little.

Too bad I can't LIKE something more than once...

Edited by usaeatt2

Hi everybody! I just signed in on this forum so I can now reply to this thread.

Thanks also for your positive feedback and response so far.

Dday is correct in his description of the production and the investment involved. I am in it for the fun of building and creating and I also found that available accurate T-track was too pricey for a set. So instead of buying everything, I thought I better produce it myself, not only for myself, but also for others. And I am enjoying the ride so far!! Here is a thread in the RPF were I describe the saber parts:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/various-ot-lightsaber-parts-228132/

Maybe not all that interesting for you E-11 guys ;)

But after careful reading about the required length for the E-11 and doing the math, I decided to start offering sets of 6 x 8" (20cm) pieces for $40 (and free shipping.)

I added that option in my web shop: http://wannawanga.com/products/t-track/

If anyone of you already ordered the set of 10" and paid $50 and threw away 6x 2inch track, send me a note and I will refund the $10.

Let me know what think!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Edited by wannawanga
  • Like 5

Welcome Roy. Thanks for offering these to the community here and I hope I didn't offend you in any way about production & pricing. Now knowing more about the cost of getting these things made makes the pricing totally understandable and reasonable for sure. Thanks as well for lowering the price to meet the e-11 dimensions. As DDay said, there needs to be some meat on the bone to actually make it worth selling. Appreciate all your hard research and work to get these made and have them on the market.

The tracks look great and hope to order some of those sometime soon for my next pipe build. Best of luck and look forward to seeing many new e11 builds with your t tracks on them, including mine!

• Like 1

But after careful reading about the required length for the E-11 and doing the math, I decided to start offering sets of 6 x 8" (20cm) pieces for $40 (and free shipping.)

If anyone of you already ordered the set of 10" and paid $50 and threw away 6x 2inch track, send me a note and I will refund the $10.

Let me know what think!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

THANKS ROY! 

$40 a set PLUS free shipping from the Netherlands?  I'm in!

YOU'RE THE MAN!!!

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 1

Hi everybody! I just signed in on this forum so I can now reply to this thread.

Thanks also for your positive feedback and response so far.

Dday is correct in his description of the production and the investment involved. I am in it for the fun of building and creating and I also found that available accurate T-track was too pricey for a set. So instead of buying everything, I thought I better produce it myself, not only for myself, but also for others. And I am enjoying the ride so far!! Here is a thread in the RPF were I describe the saber parts:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/various-ot-lightsaber-parts-228132/

Maybe not all that interesting for you E-11 guys ;)

Let me know what think!

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Hi Roy, glad you made it to the FISD! Next up is the SLD for saber clips and tracks!

I've seen a couple guys from there over to your store already. We love new vendors with a quality product who are into the community.

I would take your data and photos to the trash compactor in the on-going threads and post up for people who are looking for these parts.

Good luck!

I just want to nip this in the bud before the waters start to get muddy.

Roy's track is less expensive, but not as accurate as mine.

So if you are willing to sacrifice some accuracy and same some money, Roy's is the way to go same as marv.

Not everyone is as concerned with accuracy as other people and there is nothing wrong with that.

But for the people who HAVE to have the most accurate, and don't mind spending a bit more for your props that you are most likely going to have for a long time (or forever), then I would pony up the extra $ and get mine. 

I just want to nip this in the bud before the waters start to get muddy.

Roy's track is less expensive, but not as accurate as mine.

So if you are willing to sacrifice some accuracy and same some money, Roy's is the way to go same as marv.

Not everyone is as concerned with accuracy as other people and there is nothing wrong with that.

But for the people who HAVE to have the most accurate, and don't mind spending a bit more for your props that you are most likely going to have for a long time (or forever), then I would pony up the extra $ and get mine..

I'm going to play all sides of the fence here...

My "display only" Sterling conversion is equipped with Gino track.  Gino's T-track is an excellent product and easy to work.

That said, there's no way I'm dropping another $80 for plastic T-track on subsequent builds.  I might do it for anodized aluminum, but not plastic.

As for accuracy, I WON'T be getting involved in that debate...

Both Gino and Roy appear to have done their homework and I don't care to dig any further than that.

Without a micrometer, I know I couldn't distinguish a 0.1mm height difference OR a 0.5mm width difference, up close, let alone from across a room.

Both are very convincing in their approach, so until there's some kind of provenance, we have options.

Marv T-track was amongst my first FISD purchases.  Great price, nice product and fast shipping.

I've had good dealings with Gino and felt I was getting the most accurate product available.

Roy was kind enough to modify his product based on member input, reduce his price and offers website ordering and payment.

I started this thread to offer information and options to builders of all abilities and means.

The goal is to get accurate blasters and advanced building skills within reach of as many troopers as possible!

• Like 1

As for accuracy, I WON'T be getting involved in that debate...

Both Gino and Roy appear to have done their homework and I don't care to dig any further than that.

Without a micrometer, I know I couldn't distinguish a 0.1mm height difference OR a 0.5mm width difference, up close, let alone from across a room.

Both are very convincing in their approach, so until there's some kind of provenance, we have options.

This is EXACTLY why I feel I need to comment in the first place.

There is no debate to be had. Whose is more accurate is not a matter of opinion.

For my t-track, intensive measurements were taken directly from screen-used track as well as scan data. I have held mine directly up to the screen-used t-track.

It is indistinguishable from the real thing when you see them side-by-side and also by caliper. It is absolutely as close as you can possibly get without scoring some original vintage stock (which I doubt will ever happen).

As you can see in the comparison posted by Roy, his track has a slightly different profile.

Roy's was made based on interpreting data from photos only. So it is not surprising that his track would not turn out perfect. He did the best he did with what he had available to him.

It's close, closer than Marv's but not as accurate as mine.

That's what I don't want to become cloudy in the minds of people looking to make a choice for t-track.

It would be factually wrong to put Roy's track on the same accuracy level as mine when it is not.

Even using the word 'debate' in regards to this topic indicates that there is perhaps some doubt on that topic when there is none.

Now that being said...

I have no problem with other people who want to sell t-track. I used to (and still do) refer people to marv all the time when they were content to sacrifice some accuracy to save some money.

It's the same situation with Roy's track. It is good track for people who don't have to have the most accurate and want something cheaper.

There's nothing wrong with that at all. I think having options is a good thing.

My ONLY problem is people getting the facts mixed up that they are at the same accuracy level when they are not.

That's it.

Sorry, first reply wasn't relevant after Gino's reply... It's just great that we are getting more and more options available to us builders. And as previously touched on, the only likely way prices are going to come down is with more competition, so more the merrier in my opinion. Individuals can judge for themselves what they like the look of best and how much their willing to pay.

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

I think that sounds like a bit of a plug to all 3 main suppliers - each for various reasons. And as you say, you're just highlighting the fact that there are options out there for everyone, and each person can make there own judgement on which one to buy.

Exactly. :)